Phil's putting stroke

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What is up with Phil's putting stroke? If you haven't seen it yet he completely stops on the backstroke and pauses before coming forward again. He must have been struggling and this is trying to address it. I can't imagine it will last there is no flow to it.

An attempt at a yip fix?

Seems that way. Nobody goes to the claw unless there are demons somewhere. I can't imagine something that needs to be manipulated like that will hold up.

I commented on phil's pause in his putting stroke in the Memorial thread.

I don't get it. I don't see how pausing like that can give you a good tempo. I looked back at his SG: Putting and the last two years have been very poor. I guess that is why he is trying something different. It is just very odd-looking.

It makes me want to punch a hobo.

I would not be successful with a full stop (or the claw); I need my rhythm

Phil can hit bombs and has a phenomenal short game, but has he ever been known for being a good putter?

Phil can hit bombs and has a phenomenal short game, but has he ever been known for being a good putter?

Can a bad putter win The Masters?

Can a bad putter win The Masters?
Yes, Ernie Els, Vijay, Adam Scott, etc. Lot's of bad putters (tour standards obviously) have green jackets.

Last edited:
Yes, Erie Els, Vijay, Adam Scott, etc. Lot's of bad putters (tour standards obviously) have green jackets.

I guess. Three of them though?

A quick search brought up this article that supports your position. It basically says that long game is more important than putting at Augusta.

it’s painful to watch

It is so uncomfortable to watch.

I just caught it once and thought the coverage skipped or something. That’s rough.

Phil is crazy and not always in a good way :LOL:

That

Looks

Awkward

Watching the coverage now.

he loves to tinker and push the envelope, that’s for sure.

It looks so bad, but I am going to do it on the practice green this weekend for the hell of it.

And he certainly looks like he was doing some work on that hosel of that putter.

Love watching Phil. Never know with him but hey if it helps him great. I personally think he's getting a little case of the yips. He holds that putter like it's trying to run away from him.

I heard them saying on the broadcast that he was doing that as a drill and having good success which led him to put it in play during a tournament. I think it looks mechanical and won't be reliable but he is definitely better than I am (duh) and I appreciate his willingness to expirement.

I can't wait to try it out tomorrow with my regular group just to throw them off.

Golf is a journey of swing fixes that work for about a week, he'll stop doing that madness soon.

I've farted around with this as a practice drill, but never out on the course.
I feel like if my path is good, I can sit back there all day and then pull the trigger. He could technically back off mid stroke and re-group if he wanted to as well.
My dad tried to teach me the full swing with a huge pause at the top, almost a stop. Never lasted, but I find myself going back to it and tempo is improved.
Kind of the old man's version of Tiger stopping halfway down in his full swing eons ago. Or Daly injuring himself trying to do the same. :LOL:

Back