• Option 2 - Fairway Shot

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Option 3 - Greenside Rough Shot

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
Did 2 of these a few years ago and they led to some good discussion.

Here's the scenario. You have a chance to win $1M, but you can only pick 1 of the 3 shots and have to get up and down from there (meaning shot and 1 putt). Which one do you pick and why? (Don't Forget to Vote in the Poll too)

Option 1: Standard greenside bunker shot from a good lie (say from about 10 yards and an easy pin to get to)

Option 2: 40 Yard Shot from the Fairway with nothing in front of you and the pin

Option 3: A greenside chip of only about 30 feet from the pin, but from a bad lie in the rough to a slightly tricky pin (but not over a bunker or anything)

Also for some newer members or those who didn't answer before, here are the links to parts 1 and 2. Feel free to jump in on those!

Last edited:
I'll kick it off. I'm going to go with Option 3. I feel like this is a part of my game where I have really improved, and can do a pretty good job of judging even bad lies. I figure worst case I end up with a 10 foot putt or so but would hope to get in that 5 foot range, and I'm more confident in this one than the others to do that.

Hmm reading the rules I definitely want greenside rough for a chip and putt. I mean fairway seems logical but you only get one putt. You have to not only hit the green but have it close enough to make a putt. I actually would take greenside bunker over that too but I think I would go chip and putt right now.

I'll take the 40 yard fairway shot, I want the best lie. Not saying I'd do terrible at thee other 2 options but I gotta think percentage wise I get up and down from there.

#2 I feel fairly confident in either sending it through the air or bumping it there with an iron and have a decent looking putt.

Be sure to tell us why you picked the shot you picked!

Option 3 for me, sand is a total crapshoot for me. 40 yards is a terrible distance for me. So that leaves the 30 foot chip. As long as its not deeply buried in the rough I'm most confident I can get that to 10 feet or so.

Sandy me $1M, thank you! From 10 yards in a good bunker lie at an easy pin? I'm trying to make that. Anything more than a gimmie putt was a bad mistake. I'm pretty sure my wife would let me bet our house against that $1M if it only took an up and down.

Bunker shot for sure. It's the only one where a slight mishit won't change the result too much.

Fairway chips/pitches have a nasty way of checking up half of the time for me - no thanks.
Greenside rough is just too unpredictable.

Sandy me $1M, thank you! From 10 yards in a good bunker lie at an easy pin? I'm trying to make that. Anything more than a gimmie putt was a bad mistake. I'm pretty sure my wife would let me bet our house against that $1M if it only took an up and down.

Not surprised by your pick at all. I think most very good players would pick that, including 99.9% of tour pros. But this is Hackers Paradise haha

I'll be your Huckleberry! Give me the bunker shot, its one I have practiced and feel pretty confident in being able to get up and down at least half the time as long as the green doesn't slope away to hard.
Screenshot_20201228-182157_Shot Scope.jpg

Green side bunker for me. I like this shot to an easy pin

Greenside bunker. It’s generally a shot I’ll either stick close or totally **** the bed.

Normally followed closely by the chip.

Lately I’ve been sticking darts inexplicably from 40-175 yards so the thought would cross my mind.

Option 3 for me. Whereas I’m pretty good at getting out of bunkers, I wouldn’t be overly confident in getting up and down. From the fairway, again ok, but I think my best chance would be free side rough. I feel free side is one of the stronger parts of my game. That said, if $1m is on the line, any putt over 6 inches I’m probably missing anyway LOL.

I can't fully judge the lie from here, but if the green side rough leaves me only 30 feet I'm gonna pull my 8 iron and get that ball rolling as quickly as I can.

I have zero distance control out of bunkers, and 40 yards from the fairway can be a 4 foot putt just as easily as a 40 footer...

Give me the bunker shot. I feel like even with a bad bunker shot I'm probably 15ft at the worst and most likely within 6 ft or closer.

It is less likely for me to stick one close from 40 and also more likely to hit a bad shot.

A bad lie in the rough to a tricky pin location sounds like a big chance for a bad shot as well. You don't know how the ball will come out, if you get any spin or none, and that doesn't even bring in the tricky pin location. That could make it where a really good shot is needed just to get it somewhat close and a bad shot could be punished.

Almost 20 votes in, and results are very even so far. Interesting.

With my TMade HiToe I feel so confident in the sand. I am disappointed if I don’t get up and down with a decent lie.

Give me the bunker shot. Looking at it already in my head - I think I can make it and feel confident.

Bump for the Late Night Crew. Let's hear what you are picking

I'm going for #3, I feel that's probably the strongest part of my game of the three options.

I feel more confident in option 3. None are great, but I believe it will leave me the shortest putt

It's definitely not the chip from a bad lie so that is ruled out.

I am probably choosing the bunker shot. Assuming it is not plugged and the sand is not concrete or mud and just good normal bunker raked lie. Feel like I am more likely to flub a 40 yard shot from a fairway. Feel like I can pretty comfortably take my lob wedge and put a good swing on it.

I'd have to say bunker shot.... I'm pretty consistent out of the sand and would be confident I'd be able get up and down

Back