Picker changes to divot maker with irons

U_of_Bucky

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been a picker like forever. 8 iron carry is 145 with a small plane warning for the ball apex. Has anyone converted to a stock swing allowing for lower ball flight? My goal would be be to achieve the same distance with less effort.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much right on the same swing/#'s... A picker & super high ball hitter. It works really well off a tee and most fairway lies. Can be tricky with the downhill lie or one sloping away from me.

I've tried to work on a little forward press at setup and have some success hitting with a 3/4 motion that is probably a perfectly full swing (my regular backswing likely waaay to far beyond parallel). I probably try the forward press moreso on full wedge shots because my normal sweep is likely to slide under the ball with a wedge and come up short.

I haven't really practiced much with it but it has worked well. Also, I hit down much more on shots from the rough with some great results. I feel like I should always be doing this but with my swing it seems to be harder to control the distance than with what I've done for 20 years...

p.s. Looks like Buckeyes & Badgers in the B1G Championship game again. At least it won't be the 2nd meeting of the season again...

I struggle with picking the ball too clean as well. The good news is you likely already have a very efficient strike, I let my ball position creep too far forward, usually bringing it back an inch or two will bring back the divot and lower ball flight to reasonable territory.

I've gone the other direction, with shallowing things out. With less compressing "down" on the ball, I have at least noticed a more neutral flight. That forward press locked me into a pretty strong draw at times, and I really had to work to hold off for a fade.
The distance loss will mostly hit me in the longer irons/hybrids, so I'm OK with that. Especially if it means fewer misses left.

Maybe experiment with slightly stronger lofted irons?

Moonball striker here. Getting 155-160 carry 8i. Not really a picker, and I don’t have a problem with my shot height anymore thanks to lower spin premium balls like the TourB RX. It still goes the same height but doesn’t balloon. What’s your current ball?

NM-it’s in your profile. Give a lower spin ball like the AVX or the TourB RX a try. I hated wind before. I’ve hit some full 4i’s 150 uphill into 25MPH before and ended up short. That’s my normal 215-220 club.

Not now, I can take 1-2 clubs more and it’s enough in all but a monsoon.

Back