Picking up/max score in non-elite competition

unfortunately I have had multiple people do this in our club tournaments despite it being explicitly written that you have to finish out.

In this scenario, that has not been the case and in fact a precedent has been set in the group of MAX ESC being used so I would have written him down for max or 8 or whatever he wanted and moved on.

In our tournaments several guys have done this purposely to try and get a really bad score not posted so they can keep up their vanity index, but if you play 14 holes you can/should post the score with expected score put down for holes not finished.

putt that shat out.
take a 10 idc...
so your having a bad hole.. putt it out, finish the hole for a 10 and take your 7 and move on or whatever it is.. whiney a$$..

putt that shat out.
take a 10 idc...
so your having a bad hole.. putt it out, finish the hole for a 10 and take your 7 and move on or whatever it is.. whiney a$$..
You think the guy picking up was more of an a$$ than the guy throwing a fit after losing?

I'm all for picking that up and moving on.

If he's already out of contention - just make sure he owns that he's out. Play the round for the sense of purpose trying to put up a few better holes.

The asshole though who was a whiney dick? He needs to go and be banned from playing in those events.

You think the guy picking up was more of an a$$ than the guy throwing a fit after losing?
the guy throwing a fit after losing is a clown, not even acknowledging him for that.
the guy that picked up is a whiney a$$.
my response is to the initial questions on whether picking up or not.
putt it out!

I'm not clear on the description of the issue. If the event does not have a rule in place about max score then he has to either finish every hole or be disqualified. If the club does have a max score rule in place then he can proceed under that rule.

It sounds like, if I understand correctly, there is no such rule in place for that event. The player in question as well as the "forgot his score" player and the "takes an 8" player are all DQ. But they should record their score with their ESC max and post it to GHIN, DQ or not.

I personally almost never play in any event where I can't pick up at net double or whatever. When my swing gets in a really bad way it would be entirely possible for me to take 8, 9, 10 strokes and still be nowhere near the green. I simply avoid events where that scenario might arise, for my own enjoyment and that of the people paired with me.

In fact, in my usual daily games (gross double bogey max) I am in my pocket at least once in even rounds where I play to my handicap. Stroke play is meant for accomplished golfers, not hackers.

Yup. You gotta putt it out. Of course that doesn’t change the fact the other two should have been DQ’d. Whole lot wrong in this scenario.

And I’ve been the jerk that’s made someone putt out and they missed. You have to protect the field in field events.

Casual round, you do you however you like. Field event? I gotta call it.

This thread makes me glad no one wants me to play in their league right now. It can be such drama, and there's always a guy or two making sure that's the case.

Not saying you don't need to putt it out. You do, but the drama, even after. (n)

If someone wants me to putt it out... I will... It may take an additional 5-8 but I'll do it... For the sake of the tourney.

So here’s the scenario that caused a major blowup Today.

It’s our Net score club championship. And when I say club championship, I mean that term loosely as it’s competitive but really just another excuse to get out and play golf.

Par 3 and laying triple bogey on hole 6 - player Frustrated and already not even close to competing for the championship. This player just wants to pick up, take the triple/double par and move on. Another person in the 4 some says “you Have to putt it out”. Keep in mind, the last hole, another player was given a 7 because he just lost count of strokes And hole 2 another player took an 8 “because that’s the max i can take”.

It pissed off the player laying triple so much that he withdrew from the competition and then the person making him putt it put blamed him for not winning the competition because of his attitude the rest of the round.

Now every amateur competition I’ve played in the last 2 seasons have invoked a stroke play limit consistent with the USGA (Golfweek Am tour and MATGA events) This particular event never said anything either was because it’s been somewhat casual.

So my question to you, what do you do - make the person putt out or let him pick up? Now I also recommended that for future competition we invoke a max stroke clarification.

I'd say go for it, but if you fail to hole out even once, you're ineligible for any prizes.

I think there comes a time where common sense should prevail over a strict interpretation of the "rules" (which appear to have been pretty loosely adhered to already).

Par 3 and laying triple bogey on hole 6 - player Frustrated and already not even close to competing for the championship. This player just wants to pick up, take the triple/double par and move on. Another person in the 4 some says “you Have to putt it out”. Keep in mind, the last hole, another player was given a 7 because he just lost count of strokes And hole 2 another player took an 8 “because that’s the max i can take”.
If the person is being an ass over putting out then I might just want to putt everything out. Making sure I take a good 30-45 seconds lining up every putt before doing so.

Our Senior League plays a form of Stableford - 3 points for birdie, 2 points for par, 1 point for bogey, and no points for anything higher than bogey. The league plays SLOW, as many of our senior golfers only play once a week, and many are lucky to get 3 or 4 total points in an 18 hole round. I once played someone who got zero points after 18 holes, and that is why we don't invoke minus points for bad scores.
We encourage players to pick up after they've hit their "double bogey" shot to keep things moving.
Personally I think this is a great local league rule, and no league members complains about it.

For those saying you have to putt out how do you explain the guy taking 8 because that’s the max he could take. If I was the guy lying triple and was told I had to finish I’d be absolutely livid given that other players were allowed to pick up.

For those saying you have to putt out how do you explain the guy taking 8 because that’s the max he could take. If I was the guy lying triple and was told I had to finish I’d be absolutely livid given that other players were allowed to pick up.
That’s the biggest problem - a precedent had already been set before his situation came up. If putt out guy was going to be DQ’ed for picking up, the other two guys should have been DQ’ed also. You can’t have guys playing the same game by different rules.

Every player on the planet - unless playing the course on their own - should be made to pick up once triple bogey is the best that can be achieved. If anyone told me I cannot pick it up - I'd abuse the crap out of them and pick it up anyway

I feel like both guys in this situation fall into the people I am not hanging out with category. Just finish it out if the guy has a problem. But the insisting on putting it out guy is way worse.

I still don't understand the original question.

1) Was this event stroke play or was it a score-limited format?
2) Did the guys who picked up or forgot their actual score intend to turn in a scorecard?

If it was stroke play then all three players were DQ. If it was a score-limited format we need to know what the actual format was.

Sounds pretty much like nobody involved, including the OP of this thread, actually knew for sure what they were supposed to be doing out there. Quite a soup sandwich.

Last edited:
The words "friendly competition" is an oxymoron.

If it’s his max net score let him pick it up.

Back