I take this as a subtle response from the greenskeeper when people stop fixing their divots. :D
The local course I play at posted a sign saying "Learn to fix your ball mark's and we'll move the cups off the slopes!" in their pro shop. All the league players there are famous for saying " why should I fix it, that's what they pay the grounds crew for". :D After about 2 weeks the greens sure looked better.:D

We played this weekend and "the greenskeeper must not have gotten any last night" was heard on at least 4 holes. Brutal placements. This is pretty unusual though for the course.

I'll see some pin placements that are tough at times, but the greens I play don't have a lot of undulations or drastic movement to them. There are a handful of holes that if you are not below the hole, good luck.

Not really at home. There is one local course that has 2, fairly often. I'm not one to fuss about tough pins normally. I like a challenge, but I take issue when they won't hold anywhere near the hole. I've gone rounds with 'just call me Carl' about it at that course. Even once going out to the one on the short par 3, placing a ball on all 4 sides of the hole so he could see them all NOT hold the green. From a static placement. 'That's a bullsh*t pin, Carl'.

I swear my club does this weekly. Especially on the weekends. Sunday more frequently than Saturday, since Sat they roll the greens. It’s like their bored one morning and just decide to have some fun

I don't see it often at all, I played in a charity event at a small 9 hole course not too long ago where it seemed to be the case often, but in a 3 person scramble and the fun format, I figured it was done intentionally just for that day.

My home course has some great character on the greens, and a few holes have some serious slope or tiers to them. Every once in a while (let's call it once or twice a month) our staff drops a cup on one of the slopes, and it gets pretty tough especially mid summer when the greens are rolling.

How often do you see the pin sitting on a slope where you play?

In the USGA's committee procedures and R&A Guidance, they express the following;
  • The Committee should avoid placing a hole on a slope where the ball will not come to rest. When the contours of the green allow, holes should be placed where there is an area of two to three feet around the hole that is relatively level so that putts struck at the proper speed will stop around the hole.

Some of our greens are nothing but slope, being on the side of a mountain.

Extremely rare.

One hole comes to mind though at the Skins Game I would play at the golf course that closed down in September-ish, The Links Club in Hudson.

Hole 15 Par 3 was always 177-185 and always windy at this place. Small green and the hole always on the downslope of the hill. If you make birdie on this hole, it's a guaranteed skin, and pretty much guaranteed to win closest to the pin since it was a small green.

The issue was landing long you have a nasty downhill putt. Miss the cup and you're rolling down to the front of the green with a tough comeback for Par or Bogey. Once saw someone putt uphill, not enough speed and it rolled back down to his feet.

Nasty cup location, but it was the only hole on the course that was like that so I didn't mind for 1 hole, and super rewarding if you convert.

Luckily this is something we only notice a few times per year. Sometimes you gotta wonder if the guys setting up the course even play. :confused:

USGA scofflaws - The best public 18 in the Eugene area completely disregards the USGA committee on any given day at least half the holes are cut on a slope... mid summer 3 foot putts can break 6 to 8 inches and not stop within 5 feet past the hole.

I see it quite often at my home course. There are usually always at least 3 cut on pretty severe slopes every round I play. Our greens are pretty small and have a lot of contours so they run out of places to put the cups. Some are pretty easy to negotiate hitting shots into while others are pretty diabolical. Has just become part of the character of the course to me.

This is something I see all the time on the greens when the pins are in places that makes for just brutal putting. I'm quite sure that the people who are responsible for placeing the pins each day are not even aware of the USGA rule. o_O

We have a couple greens where you can tell what kind of mood the greens keeper is in depending on the pin position. There are a couple of brutal slopes occasionally but for the most part they keep it fair.

Don't know if you ever got a chance to play Sleepy Hollow near Brecksville. I love that course, but there are 4-5 greens where if you don't roll it in, the ball will roll off the green. It sucks when you hit a good approach shot and end up 30-50 foot farther away than when you started.

The final hole on a local course gets a lot of sun and dries out and often rolls much faster than the other greens. There is one evil pin position that they cut on occasion which is on top of a mound. If you miss the hole and have one rotation too much it will roll off the green (from any direction). On the same hole they have cut it on a slope and you can putt past the hole and make it as the ball comes back at you. They've gotten better at watering the green more to make it fair as they got a ton of complaints.

There is one course around me that does this. Not everyday but it happens once or twice a year. Either make the putt or you are faced with the same putt or longer. Straight up carnival golf as Phil would say.

The local course I play at posted a sign saying "Learn to fix your ball mark's and we'll move the cups off the slopes!" in their pro shop. All the league players there are famous for saying " why should I fix it, that's what they pay the grounds crew for". :D After about 2 weeks the greens sure looked better.:D

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm shocked that regular players would feel that way. What a bunch of tools. Fix your damn ball marks!

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm shocked that regular players would feel that way. What a bunch of tools. Fix your damn ball marks!
This is a problem at my course as well. Pisses me off.

My home course has a lot of holes like this. No so much as tiers as the while green slopes. If they roll the greens too much in the summer you can be putting uphill, almost make it to the hole, ball stops, and then rolls all the way back. I had countless putts last summer where I putted it 25’ uphill and was left with a 20’ uphill putt after the ball came back. It was ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think it happens too often, and if it does, I don’t think it’s meant to be malicious. Our greens aren’t too bad though so even a tricky pun placement is flat enough that it’ll stop within a reasonable distance if you haven’t hit a rocket.

I feel like I see it all the time and was pretty sure it wasn’t supposed to be that way. It’s super annoying and I’m not a fan.

I think I see this too often for my liking at local courses I play around me.... The worst occurred at my previous local course when I lived in Thousand Oaks CA..... Rustic Canyon in Moorpark has a few holes that when holes are cut on these slopes are just diabolical. I believe its #4 par 3 when you can't really see the green (can see the very back of the green though) from the tee box due to a waste area and elevation change. The green has a huge bubble (more like a Volkswagen like mound) in the center of the green where depending on the pin location you can be putting over this mount, putting around the mound or diabolical the hole is cut on one side of the mound..... dirty

It doesn't usually happen at my home course unless it is the Greenkeepers Revenge competition but there are a couple of greens where pins can be put in difficult positions which can make putting very tricky

It’s a rare find on my course but I have experienced it. Being a Donald Ross design you only have so many pin placements on the greens. Your bound to get a poor placement now and again but my course is pretty solid when it comes to making sure the golf membership is pleased.

Back