Doesn't really happen on my home course

I have seen this a few times and just figured whoever placed the pin there that morning was mad at the world or something.
I like to joke that we need to get him a date or something haha

There's a green at a course nearby that sometimes they place the hole on the upper part of the green. The slope there is terrible and if they've cut the green close and rolled it fast, if you just happen to leave yourself a downhill putt... I had a 5 foot knee knocker for birdie that I barely tapped and it barely missed the hole and rolled all the way down to the lower part of the green and a 30 foot steep uphill that I ended with a four putt. If you land to the side, you have to aim upslope and if you miss it's gone. It's best to be short. I hate that hole with that pin placement.

The Committee should avoid placing a hole on a slope where the ball will not come to rest. When the contours of the green allow, holes should be placed where there is an area of two to three feet around the hole that is relatively level so that putts struck at the proper speed will stop around the hole.
The only time I remember this happening was when the greenskeeper at my home course was testing faster greens a couple years ago. I remember my partner and I putting over and over from the same spot and neither of us could get the ball to stop. I thought it was kind of cool but others probably complained.

The pin locations at the course are often cut on slopes. While it's easy to roll a putt off the green, when the greens are at their normal speed, the ball will stop if struck correctly.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm shocked that regular players would feel that way. What a bunch of tools. Fix your damn ball marks!
On most of the courses around here, it seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Most of the greens look like bombing range targets with all the pockmarks. It goes right along with all the footprints in bunkers (often right past a rake!) and not filling their divots in the fairways. People are pigs.

As to the original question, the greenskeepers occasionally get ornery on my home course. There are a couple holes in particular they like to do it, and it makes sinking a putt almost impossible. One day last week we commented that they either thought it was a Sunday of a tournament or the greenskeeper slept on the couch the night before - it seemed like they cut every pin they possibly could on a slope that day.

Don't see it too often but definitely have seen it. We usually like to comment that somebody pissed off the guy setting the pins that day or maybe his girl dumped him or something haha

We have a par 3 that the golfers will complain about with the same type of slope cuts. I tell them the same things! :p:p

It will maybe happen once or twice. It's generally in the start of the year when the university kids get hired. Have a funny feeling some of them just don't know any better, but learn pretty quickly haha.

There are only a few places around the greens at my course that I would consider very challenging bordering on unfair and thankfully we don't see them all that often. There is one green in particular on the 10th hole - a drive-able par 4 - that the course likes to put the pin right in the middle of a slope for the town open. Even if you leave yourself below the hole you can catch the lip and see the ball end up back past where you putt it from.

Seeing this thread pop up reminded me of a video clip I saw a couple days ago, but I forgot to post a link to it (and I can't remember where I saw it now)

It was a guy putting from around 6ft or so which was obviously uphill based on the result - the putt ran around the back of the hole and almost came back to his feet

we have a green here that they put at the bottom part of the slope...not level, the bottom slope...trying to pitch/chip onto a spot above it results in a fast roll down and off the green...there is almost no where to land safely. I actually made par once but every other time (maybe 10+), it's easily a triple for me when it's down there...I played the hole with three other guys one day and they, too, tripled it (so I felt a little better about myself)

I've seen it a few times but most courses I have played at do a good job of not making it a really bad pin position.

We had one hole cut on a side hill yesterday that was tough with some brutal rollouts. Was a little frustrating but I should have been less aggressive with my first putt to avoid the ugly 3 putt

Back