TeeJayeff

Next year is the year.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
15.4 GHIN
First time poster. Anyone use the Ping Chart to buy another brand? I bought a set of Eye-2’s in 1985 (I’m 62) that I played for 15 years. Loved them and I still hit them from time to time for the memories. I am 5’7” but have long arms and have difficulty with the lie on a regular iron. Haven’t played much in a couple of years. I was a 12 when I played regularly and am about a 17 now but I intend to start playing more (my draw has become a bit of a snap hook). Recently I ordered Apex 21 DCB’s after hitting a bunch of different irons at a big box and at a local range that has a really nice selection of demo clubs (Apex 21, Ping G425 and 710, and the comparable TM - can’t remember the number). I hit the two Callaways the best but still had difficulty getting the sole flat. I went and looked at the Ping chart (I was orange 35 years ago) and it still fits my contours (I’m the same weight and do a lot of cycling and running so pretty flexible). Anyway, I ordered the Apex 5 - A and 4 hybrid with - 2 degree lie just like Ping orange and they’re arriving Tuesday. Can’t wait to hit them. And yeah, I know I should have gone to a pro for a fitting but I am stretching the budget and didn’t want to threaten domestic bliss as I’m buying these in graphite. My next stretch will be joining a club again :)

It's a tough call because stock lie angles are not standardized. 2 Flat on one company's irons might be 59*, might be 62* on another. Shaft length will affect lie angle as well. Good luck with the new clubs though. Those Apex look sweet.

Thanks, fingers crossed. I liked both the regular 21s and the DCBs. Figured I’m not getting any younger so.... I also hit the Big Bertha 21 and the Maverik and didn’t care for either as well as the Apexes.

It's a tough call because stock lie angles are not standardized. 2 Flat on one company's irons might be 59*, might be 62* on another. Shaft length will affect lie angle as well. Good luck with the new clubs though. Those Apex look sweet.
Yes! One really needs to be careful of that. Before recognizing that fact, years ago I ordered a set of T-Zoids 2° flat. Turns out their standard lie was already 2° flat so I ended up with a set 4° flat I could not hit at all!

Also everyone’s swing dynamics are different. I overheard a local fitter saying about 1 out of every 10 guys he’s fits ends up matching Pings static chart

Thanks. Fingers crossed....

To give you a reference point, the Ping chart says I should be green, was originally fit into blue, then after working on my swing for about 3-4 months, was fit into red.

You can do a rough lie test on the range with a sharpie. I think that is better data than a lie board and will give info on dynamic lie angle rather than static.

To give you a reference point, the Ping chart says I should be green, was originally fit into blue, then after working on my swing for about 3-4 months, was fit into red.

You can do a rough lie test on the range with a sharpie. I think that is better data than a lie board and will give info on dynamic lie angle rather than static.

Agreed on the sharpie test. When I was fit for irons a couple years back I went to a top 50 fitter in the US and that’s how they did it.

You’ll probably find though that +/- up to 2* doesn’t make all that much difference.

Just to revisit this post, They arrived quickly as advertised (even with the non-standard length and lie) and I’ve played them several times. The length and lie feel perfect so I’m glad the Ping color chart worked out on the order (don’t you kids out there try that at home!). The club-head is much smaller than what I have been playing (some huge hybrid type Clevelands I got in a bargain bin) so it took a couple of buckets to dial them in. They give great feedback on the mishits (still fly surprisingly well) and well struck balls feel amazing. Thrilled with the purchase and have been very motivated to hit the range which is what I really need.

Back