Double Bogey Dan

Reaction score
I have an old set of Eyes 2 in copper, with factory installed graphite shafts - have to be 35 years old
I want to bring the finish back - they're dark. Anyone ever use Brasso on these?

Anything better?

Thanks!

Try it ... they don't make copper any longer due to environmental issues.

I have an old set of Eyes 2 in copper, with factory installed graphite shafts - have to be 35 years old
I want to bring the finish back - they're dark. Anyone ever use Brasso on these?

Anything better?

Thanks!

Many folks really prefer the darker patina to shiny copper, if you‘re planing to sell them.

If you don’t like the darker appearance, it’s easy and cheap enough to bring back the shine by soaking in some white vinegar.

Those are great clubs!

I think ping will refinish and make em look new again. Reasonable cost too. Might be worth a call to their repair dept.

Huh - I'd heard about Coca Cola - not white vinegar
Better than Brasso?

I've used all three methods. Vinegar is what I prefer, because it's easier and cheaper than Brasso. Coke works OK, but it's stickier to work with and I'd rather drink it.

Keep in mind that the darkening of the BeCu is normal... so it returns. A shinier appearance has to be maintained, maybe once/twice a year. So cheap and easy is a good route to go, IMHO. Cheapest and easiest is just to enjoy the patina. But if you prefer the shine, I'd try vinegar. Any of the other options is fine.

I think ping will refinish and make em look new again. Reasonable cost too. Might be worth a call to their repair dept.

I may be wrong, but I really don't think Ping will touch the BeCu anymore, due to known hazards of working with the material. I think the danger comes from inhaling BeCu dust produced by milling, grinding, sanding, etc...so I haven't thought twice about taking a soft cloth to them. But I'm sure it's easier, from a liability standpoint, for Ping to not allow employees to touch it.

It couldn't hurt to call or email though. Their customer service is very accommodating.

link:
Ask a question here.

If you are using chemicals to shine them up be aware that no one uses beryllium copper anymore because it can be hazardous to manufacture... including sanding or dissolving. Wear gloves, don't inhale, dispose of rags/liquids accordingly.

Use the vinegar (acetic acid), it is cheaper and not as harsh as Coke (phosphoric acid). Coke has sugar in it, which makes it sticky. It is also more expensive.

If you really want the copper to pop, purchase a half gallon 10% hydrogen peroxide from amazon and mix it 50:50 with the vinegar.

Dennis

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

A few years ago I was going to send a set to PING for refinishing. Was told they no longer worked on them because of enviromental concerns. I have sent other clubs to them and they have come back looking brand new. I wished they still did the BeCu because they look stunning when cleaned up.

Overnight in coke and a rinse in the morning will have gem glowing like a new penny. Almost too shiny but i have done it and it worked great. Restores them perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are using chemicals to shine them up be aware that no one uses beryllium copper anymore because it can be hazardous to manufacture... including sanding or dissolving. Wear gloves, don't inhale, dispose of rags/liquids accordingly.
This is true, be careful with the beryllium copper, we use it in the racing industry, some in our valve seats and valve guides. When machining or grinding it all the dust is drawn out thru a venting and gathering system. It has been know as something that can cause cancer. I don’t think Ping will refinish these anymore, so the best thing is try the vinegar or just enjoy the patina as said. Please be careful.

This is true, be careful with the beryllium copper, we use it in the racing industry, some in our valve seats and valve guides. When machining or grinding it all the dust is drawn out thru a venting and gathering system. It has been know as something that can cause cancer. I don’t think Ping will refinish these anymore, so the best thing is try the vinegar or just enjoy the patina as said. Please be careful.

Yes. When I was a teen I had a Cleveland 485 BeCu wedge, and from time to time I would use a Brillo pad and bucket of soapy water to renew the finish. Looking back, that was a pretty poor idea. It seems that beryllium is particularly nasty because it can be absorbed or inhaled, small amounts can become a fatal problem, and not all individuals react the same. Therefore most wise to give BeCu due respect and overkill the precautions.

Post some pics! Let’s see the patina!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back