PING G30 Driver, Fairway Woods, Hybrids & Irons

That hybrid looks like it is pretty deep, but that may just be the camera angles.

I love the look of these clubs. The turbulators don't bother me one bit. My guess as to why they're not on the hybrid is real estate on the crown, and the limited effect they'd have on cubs shorter than driver and 3W.

I can see this being put in the bag soon.

The wind tunnel video was really cool, definitely want to try the driver!

I like the look of the driver. Definitely need to give it a go when it comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A really cool thing thing about that Bubba video is that they are comparing the G30 results against Bubba's best shot with the G25.

I'm surprised that others haven't tried to break up turbulence with something like the turbulators before. Even squeezing out an extra 1% of clubhead speed can make a great difference.

Finally watched the videos on these. Oh man I want to hit them. Lowest and furthest back CG of any Ping driver. I seem to remember another well respected R&D guy from another OEM describing that as the way to go.

I'm interested to see the G30 and G25 irons side-by-side in the store. To me, there doesn't seem to be a ton of difference there - they did highlight the sole grind a bit, but otherwise this looks like a change that's more G15-G20 than G20-G25.

On second look, it looks like they're using the CFS distance shaft that's in the Karsten as well. So I'm guessing the head weights are a bit higher, since the CFS distance is a higher balance point shaft?

Last edited:
All right. Call me interested. I like the looks from the entire series, and I'll be eagerly anticipating the release. I want to hit them all.

I just appreciate that a company has managed to increase club head speed without going with a looong shaft and a light head.

That said, once we the prosumers start to swing these things on some monitors (which we will), we will want to see a club head speed gain, even if its small.
If we don't see that this will go down as a failed gimmicky driver.

Can't wait to try it at least.

I will admit I hated the look when I first say the claws/fangs. But after seeing that video I suppose its not a gimick. Consider me intrigued about testing this driver out. And or woods.

Found this on the interwebs re: increased swing speed

The downside of aerodynamic gains is that they are exponential in nature. What that means is that guys who already swing fast will see more substantial gains than guys with average to below average swing speed.

For example, in PING’s own testing, the average gain in clubhead speed was .7MPH.

Unfortunately for the everyday crowd, the guys who saw the biggest gains (2 or more MPH) were guys who already generate between 112 and 120 MPH of clubhead speed. For higher swing speed guys, that translates to upwards of 6 yards or so over the G25.

The rich keep getting richer.

You average guys…the 85-90MPH crowd, realistically, any gains you see will be comparatively minimal. We’re talking about .5MPH or less of new-found clubhead speed on average, which translates to barely a yard in total distance gained.

Last edited:
Intrigued on the whole line here. These will all be hit at some point. Don't see the irons dethroning my i20s (you never know...) but I'm always on the lookout for some new FWs or hybrids.

To be the most interesting part of the g30 is that ping has managed to move the CG even lower and further back for more forgiveness.

This is in line with cobra and obviously against TaylorMade's forward CG thinking

Looks-wise, they don't really do much for me. But I was impressed with the G25 line and will definitely hit these to see if they're any different for me than the G25 line. Performance has a funny way of making me come around on how a club looks.

I want to spend time with the line, I really do.

Me too. The g25 was in my top 3 favorite drivers for 2013.

Great stuff. I've always been a fan of PING. The wind tunnel tests are very cool.

My first initial reaction was, UGLY!

However, after watching the video and reading the specs, color me intrigued.

I think these look decent. I like the idea, and it is less visually distracting than the speed slot idea. If it worked better than anything else, I wouldn't have an issue playing it.

Interesting the "Turbulators" are on the driver and woods, but not hybrid.

I would assume that the Turbulator concept would be more effective the larger the surface area on top of the club is (given more distance the air has to pass). The top of a hybrid is so much smaller than even a FW that with that assumption the benefit to a Turbulator would be pretty negligible.

I think these look decent. I like the idea, and it is less visually distracting than the speed slot idea. If it worked better than anything else, I wouldn't have an issue playing it.

I would assume that the Turbulator concept would be more effective the larger the surface area on top of the club is (given more distance the air has to pass). The top of a hybrid is so much smaller than even a FW that with that assumption the benefit to a Turbulator would be pretty negligible.

I think given the lower profile and the fact that you see hybrids hit out of rough and other questionable lies, the likelihood of getting under the ball and hitting the ball off of one of the turbulators would increase as well.

I think given the lower profile and the fact that you see hybrids hit out of rough and other questionable lies, the likelihood of getting under the ball and hitting the ball off of one of the turbulators would increase as well.

I don't believe I have ever considered a design aspect of a Driver, FW, or Hybrid based on what would happen if you got under the ball and hit it off the crown :act-up:

Back