PING G30 Driver, Fairway Woods, Hybrids & Irons

So I loved my Bio Cell plus Irons but I was looking for a more forgiving club. I had a 2 month period (I'm still new to the game..October will be a full year) where I was really in sync and was fit to a set of the Bio Cell plus irons. But on my bad days...things were bad. I had bought the bio cell plus irons because I enjoyed them, they went on sale, and I replaced my G25s with them. I enjoy experimenting to find what best suites my games on good and bad days.

In come the G30 irons. Nothing OMG about them, but they are smooth and easy to hit. What I enjoy about the G30s vs the G25s is that when I middle it and hit a flush shot, it feels better. The G25s kinda felt the same good or bad. These G30s have a good feel and was giving me consistent yardage. I don't care how far they go, but if i hit an iron around the same area on the face with about the same SS, I want the yardage to be very close rather than having those "out of nowhere" bombs. These G30 irons exceeded my expectations and I was surprisingly pleased with the stock CFS shaft.

So I said to myself, time to give a more forgiving driver a shot (currently have the X2 hot pro) I did NOT like the G25 but fell in love with the G30 Driver. Maybe in the Tour shaft vs the G25 stock shaft, but my spin numbers were lower than my fitter could ever get the G25 driver. And it felt great. It sounds like a shotgun but very consistent across the face. Much more so than my current X2 hot pro. SOLD

I figure ok let me try the hybrid. Now this was just as easy (no more no less) to hit than my current bio cell hybrid. I had the X-stiff aldila tour blue on it and was a great club. It did have a tendency to ballon up on me but it still gave me enough yardage except for windy days. The G30 dropped the trajectory a bit but not enough that I can't stop it on a green. Where the G30 beats my bio cell hybrid is out of the thick stuff. I took both of them and took 10 swings from the rough, alternating shots. The bio cell hybrid tended to cut into the turf and get a bit chunky. With the same swing the G30 felt like it would just glide through the rough and gave me great results. SOLD

Now for the 3 wood. I LOVE my X2 hot pro FWY wood. I've done nothing but recommend it to people. It's long, it's workable and I've never had an issue getting the launch I need to attack pins with it. It's been my favorite club in my bag. I told my fitter there is no way it could be beat so don't bother. He of course gave me a demo....I thought my X2 hot 3 wood was the easiest thing to hit and nothing could be longer...until today. I didn't know what easy was apparently until I hit the G30 3 wood. I can't believe that even on my mishits, it was spinning off line less than half the amount my X2 hot was (which isn't that much). SOLD.

I went in just looking for irons and left with an entire G30 set lol. I couldn't be happier with them though. I didn't have a chance to break them in on the range and played them raw with a group of friends...it was the first time ever I had the best score with an 81. I can't believe how close i was to breaking 80!!.

Call me a satisfied customer.

I guess this is the best place to post. I have finally got to put into play the 22* g30 hybrid I won for Challenge 5. It is my first experience with a hybrid and needless to say I am impressed. The club fits a nice gap between my 5 iron and 5W. right around 200 yards which is a distance I have strugged with. This club is also extremely accurate and forgiving. My best shot with it so was on a 205 yard par three where I stuck it pin high about 10 feet away. Thanks THP!

The 17* hybrid I just received in my prize pack may be the exact thing I needed to round out the top of my bag. Going back to my hybrid only setup, no FW for me!

I'd like to replace my very first Hybrid an old taylormade 3H 19°

So I asked the ping man to try their 5W and their 3H, here are a good example of the results I got:

The wood 1 is the G30 5W 18°
the wood 3 is my old taylormade hybrid 19°
the wood 2 is the G30 3H 19°

(The swing speed and ball speed are in mph, but for europe the distance is in meter)

the 5W with the tour65 R, and the 3H with the tour 80 R, if I'm not mistaken

As you can see the results are pretty much the same between the 5W and the 3H, I made lots of other shots, this pictures captured the 3 clubs, and even with a straighter shot with the G30 hybrid not this pull one, I had almost the same distances

(And as you can see, I was right about changing my old taylormade hybrid, and the ping man confirmed that his shaft was tired !!
I had the distance of my 4H lately or sometimes 30 more yards, and that's probably how it goes with an old shaft)

So I really don't know which one I should choose? The wood or the Hybrid?
What do you think?

Last edited:
Driver is way too bulky looking. Felt like a cartoon his big it was behind the ball

distance was marginal , but really made me feel if I missed it than I just flat out stink

Back