Ping G30 Fairway Wood Loft Adjustment?

Duffer Seamus

C'mon ball, do your thing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
It would appear that adjusting the loft on this club involves turning the entire shaft. Thus, if you have a grip with a prominent alignment mark, stripe, or strip, it will be incorrect if you change the loft, no?

If you are using a grip like the GP align, then yes the alignment mark will be off. I use the tour 360 on my driver and 3 wood for that very reason but keep my normal grip on my 5 wood as that stays at 16.9

No, they're not GP Align grips. They're CP2 Pros, so they merely have an alignment mark. Wouldn't be the end of the world if the grip was out of alignment, but it wouldn't be optimal, either.

Seems like a sub-optimal club design, for this reason, though. Are all adjustable Ping clubs like this?

No, they're not GP Align grips. They're CP2 Pros, so they merely have an alignment mark. Wouldn't be the end of the world if the grip was out of alignment, but it wouldn't be optimal, either.

Seems like a sub-optimal club design, for this reason, though. Are all adjustable Ping clubs like this?

Others can join in, but on my cobra LTD 3w, and Ping Driver/5w if I adjust the loft the grip changes. @Canadan would be able to help out more on if that specific grip would lose its build function if not lined up correctly as he reviewed those grips.

As far as I know, every adjustable club ever built is that way. Changing the loft changes the orientation of the clubhead relative to a line on the grip. Not perfect, but the benefits of adjustability far outweigh this drawback.

G30 is a very nice fairway, by the way. I still have a 5 wood in my bag.

As far as I know, every adjustable club ever built is that way. Changing the loft changes the orientation of the clubhead relative to a line on the grip. Not perfect, but the benefits of adjustability far outweigh this drawback.

I know that's the case for PING and Cobra. Think it used to be that way for Taylormade too but I haven't gamed a TM driver in forever. Callaway adapters leave the shaft orientation the same regardless of the setting. For my PING and Cobra woods I've always tried to dial them in before regripping, but it's only a major deal if you're using an indexed grip. Otherwise it's purely cosmetic.

I know that's the case for PING and Cobra. Think it used to be that way for Taylormade too but I haven't gamed a TM driver in forever. Callaway adapters leave the shaft orientation the same regardless of the setting. For my PING and Cobra woods I've always tried to dial them in before regripping, but it's only a major deal if you're using an indexed grip. Otherwise it's purely cosmetic.

My Callaway Great Big Bertha driver (c. 2016) definitely changed the shaft orientation when using the adjustments. I distinctly remember this because I thought the air-installed grip had turned on me.

As far as I know, every adjustable club ever built is that way.
As others noted: Not all of them. My Callaway X2 Hot and a neighbor's Callaway Epic Flash do not

Not perfect, but the benefits of adjustability far outweigh this drawback.
I suppose that's true.

I can hit mine pretty well--when I do my part :)

... it's only a major deal if you're using an indexed grip. Otherwise it's purely cosmetic.
This is true. I use the red orientation line on my GP CP2 Pro's, but there's no reason I couldn't bump the loft on the 3W and just learn how to index on that one differently to account for it. Like you said: Not a big deal. (Unless you're a bit OCD *cough* :ROFLMAO:.)

Thanks for the follow-ups, everybody.

My Callaway Great Big Bertha driver (c. 2016) definitely changed the shaft orientation when using the adjustments. I distinctly remember this because I thought the air-installed grip had turned on me.

Anything with the dual cog adapter should maintain the shaft alignment as the cogs are what move to manipulate loft & lie.

This is true. I use the red orientation line on my GP CP2 Pro's, but there's no reason I couldn't bump the loft on the 3W and just learn how to index on that one differently to account for it. Like you said: Not a big deal. (Unless you're a bit OCD *cough* :ROFLMAO:.)

Thanks for the follow-ups, everybody.

I fall into that OCD camp as well! Going logo down on my grips has helped me immensely. You could always just use a paint pen or similar to put a little index mark on it after you settle on a setting.

Back