PING G400 Fairway Woods

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
No thread on these is wild to me (at least I searched and searched to no avail), not many release cycles that generate the buzz or eyes that PING does. I know there have been some rollout hiccups, but the feedback I have read everywhere has been consistently positive. I really enjoyed getting to review the G30 fairways and ended up playing them for almost a season, one thing PING consistently does in fairways is make easy launching designs, which feedback seems to indicate is still the case here.

The fairways have my eye, not in the 3W, but the 7W as a HW replacement. This isn't a review, its just cool new golf gear. There's some cool tech here:

From PING:

The G400 fairway woods' ball speed and stopping power come from an innovative maraging steel face that flexes 30% more, making them our hottest, highest-launching fairway woods ever. One of the strongest alloys in the world, maraging steel is commonly used in the aerospace industry, where strength and flexibility are necessities.

Maraging Steel Face
Extremely thin and more flexible, the innovative maraging steel face generates faster ball speeds to launch shots farther, higher, and straighter.

Thinnest Crown
The 17-4 SS crown is cast ultra-thin for weight savings to optimize the CG location and increase total MOI (high-low, heel-toe) for full-face forgiveness. Crown turbulators increase ball speed and provide a captured look.

Machined Back Weight
The machined back weight is more dense to increase total MOI for extreme forgiveness with maximum stability while enabling you to customize your swing weight. You can fine-tune your launch conditions prior to a round by adjusting loft up to +-1º.

Reduced Spin
The face texture reduces spin, and the head’s cascading sole increases face flexing for higher launch.

Alta CB Premium Shaft
PING’s proprietary counter-balance design allows for more mass in the head to increase energy transfer. Color-Shift Paint Technology means the vibrant copper shaft paint transitions to nearly black as you address the ball to eliminate distraction.

Club
Loft
Length
Avg Lie
Head Size
Swing Weight
3-Wood
14.5°
43"
56.0°
181cc
D1
5-Wood
17.5°
42 1/2"
56.5°
169cc
D1
7-Wood
20.5°
42"
57.0°
155cc
D1
9-Wood
23.5°
41 1/2"
57.5°
152cc
D1

images

images

images

Nice! I love the weight location (center and back)... as the midish heel weights often disagree with me. I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

• Staff
And yes, I saw they Fup did start a thread now (thank Fup), but mine is better. :alien:

• Staff
Nice! I love the weight location (center and back)... as the midish heel weights often disagree with me. I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Not a review brotherman, though lord knows I'll probably buy one. Hahaha

I thought fupresti started a thread recently with the addition of his to the bag? Sorry search function on TT sucks when I try it so I'll go desktop to find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
I thought fupresti started a thread recently with the addition of his to the bag? Sorry search function on TT sucks when I try it so I'll go desktop to find it

Look up, I addressed that. :alien:

Not a review brotherman, though lord knows I'll probably buy one. Hahaha
Where's JDax... we need some odds on this

• Staff
Look up, I addressed that. :alien:

I see. Guess we were both posting at the same time. Only reason I know is because I subscribed to his thread because I'm drooling over how well the 3w sits at address. Just screams long ball all day!

I see. Guess we were both posting at the same time. Only reason I know is because I subscribed to his thread because I'm drooling over how well the 3w sits at address. Just screams long ball all day!

Based off Fup's early feedback, that sounds right. But hey, he's a beast anyways!

Based off Fup's early feedback, that sounds right. But hey, he's a beast anyways!

Good lord I would kill for his ball flight. I could do bad things to good people on the golf course if I had that ball flight.

Your admiration of my ball flight both pleases me and makes me uncomfortable all at once.

I think I want a 7 wood now. Thanks James.

Your admiration of my ball flight both pleases me and makes me uncomfortable all at once.

I'm here for everyone. All the time. Haha

I guess I do have some on course feedback. On Tuesday I played a short Muni by work. 1st hole is 265 yard par 4. Normally I lay up because I hate hitting 3 woods.

Perfect draw that landed at 265 and rolled out to 270.

I am a fan so far. I am going to add it was also my first swing with my swing changes so it helped my confidence.

I guess I do have some on course feedback. On Tuesday I played a short Muni by work. 1st hole is 265 yards. Normally I lay up because I hate hitting 3 woods.

Perfect draw that landed at 265 and rolled out to 270.

I am a fan so far.

Beastly. Playing at the standard 14.5? What flight are you seeing? I know we both seek out higher launch.

Beastly. Playing at the standard 14.5? What flight are you seeing? I know we both seek out higher launch.

It's high, but to be honest my ballflight with my newish swing is much higher because of my work to get flatter in my swing so I am sweeping a bit more then I used to where everything was a hard descending blow.

I will say this, I did take a couple of swipes with my old swing and it was launching higher at stock 14.5* then my F7 at 16.5*

It's high, but to be honest my ballflight with my newish swing is much higher because of my work to get flatter in my swing so I am sweeping a bit more then I used to where everything was a hard descending blow.

I will say this, I did take a couple of swipes with my old swing and it was launching higher at stock 14.5* then my F7 at 16.5*

This intrigues me more, and its honestly why I was thinking 7W as a HW replacement, I want and need launch there because of how use it. 3W, I have come to embrace the distance monster that is the TEE.

I've never been a great FW hitter- but I love this ! The 5w is so easy to launch and it has a wonderful crack to it. It reminds me of the F7 in ease of use!

Go with the first emotion.

Really like the looks of these

Not gonna lie, I am really tempted by this one... Loved the G version, which I thought was a significant upgrade over the G30 version.

I will say this, it is freaking loud. Not G series driver loud, but it doesnt carry over the work they did on the G400 driver.

I will say this, it is freaking loud. Not G series driver loud, but it doesnt carry over the work they did on the G400 driver.

The new sound studio was locked that day : )
To me it sounds just like the G series honestly.

Now that's interesting. Guess I'm hoping Ping would utilize their new accoustics lab/capabilities on the entire lineup of woods.

The new sound studio was locked that day : )
To me it sounds just like the G series honestly.

To me it's less hollow sounding and a much higher pitch. Its clangy rather then thwonky. And yes those are official words I just created.

Back