Based on my results, the max not being super high spin for me and what @JB said about faster swings not seeing the high spin rate, my mind is left asking how is this?

I guess I'm a firm believer of strike being a bigger factor for spin but heads due play a factor based on weighting, design, etc. But with all things equal I'm having trouble figuring out how a head can have higher spin for slower swinging but less for faster - is that 26g weight that big of a factor? I apologize if I'm way off on this.

What shaft is working for you in that MAX?

The Ping Tour in regular flex has been the best with the heavier Orange in stiff a close second. Swingspeed is 101-102 with the driver consistently with a moderate tempo - I'm pretty much a tweener when it comes to shafts. My iron and wedge shafts are Steelfiber 95s in regular but driver is a 75 gram Attas 3 stiff flex.

Based on my results, the max not being super high spin for me and what @JB said about faster swings not seeing the high spin rate, my mind is left asking how is this?

I guess I'm a firm believer of strike being a bigger factor for spin but heads due play a factor based on weighting, design, etc. But with all things equal I'm having trouble figuring out how a head can have higher spin for slower swinging but less for faster - is that 26g weight that big of a factor? I apologize if I'm way off on this.
It’s not that the head is changing. It’s that a fast swinger with efficient strike is maximizing compression. Where as a more moderate swinger or those with a few flaws saw a higher spin rate.

The differences betweeen Max and LST didn’t change based on speed.

Good thing the trend industry wide and on tour is away from super low spin then, isn’t it?
Really? Seems like everyone is just lofting up. You see more guys on tour with 10.5 heads these days with rebar shafts.

Really? Seems like everyone is just lofting up. You see more guys on tour with 10.5 heads these days with rebar shafts.
Really. They’re aiming for 2500-2700 now.

No more 17/1700 BS

Really. They’re aiming for 2500-2700 now.

No more 17/1700 BS

Right I get that they seem to be moving to higher spin rates for more control but I inferred from your earlier posts that the Oems are going away from low spin. And I don’t see that as each new iteration seems to spin 100-300 less than the old model. But Maybe I misinterpreted your earlier comment.

Right I get that they seem to be moving to higher spin rates for more control but I inferred from your earlier posts that the Oems are going away from low spin. And I don’t see that as each new iteration seems to spin 100-300 less than the old model. But Maybe I misinterpreted your earlier comment.
They are, they’re designing to meet the current trends. There are VERY few true low spin drivers out there compared to the past, everything is settling into the low-mid to mid realm, including new released.

Now, if someone who doesn’t generate a lot of spin goes and hits them, then of course the numbers will be lower, it’s why having this breadth of options across lines is a great thing for consumers. But the trend is away from super low spin.

I really wanted to ask someone hitting a Max nearby today when I was hitting some other drivers to please stop. You Ping guys have some serious loyalty.

So far what we have seen with the Max is that fast to very fast swingers are getting some decently low spin. Slower to moderate, the spin jumps a bit and those players might find more success distance wise out of the LST.
Thanks for this.... This is great information, definitely something I’ll look into that I otherwise might not have. I would’ve tried the Max version, than the Epic Speed and the Cobra Rad. I’d have overlooked the LST.
I don’t know why, but I’ve always associated drivers like the LST and the Epic (can’t remember, was it the SZ?) as more fade biased, and for faster swing speeds.

Rain tomorrow here so it works out perfect that I have a 1PM fitting thru Ping. All I'm interested in is driver, the G425 MAX vs my G400 MAX.

Rain tomorrow here so it works out perfect that I have a 1PM fitting thru Ping. All I'm interested in is driver, the G425 MAX vs my G400 MAX.

looking forward to your thoughts in comparing with the G400 max

The G425 Max driver is appealing for its forgiveness but also lowish spin from what I've seen. Can't wait for my fitting next month as this might be the first model I want to try!

The G425 Max driver is appealing for its forgiveness but also lowish spin from what I've seen. Can't wait for my fitting next month as this might be the first model I want to try!

Looking forward to your thoughts Brian7770. It wasn't all that low spin for me, but wasn't crazy high either. If people can get over the sound (it's very loud), the Max will be appealing.

I can’t wait to hear what you think.... I need to get around to doing the same. The 400 Max is soooo good.

Got to hit the G425 Max and LST today with the Tensei Orange in stiff and the Alta in XS.

Feels really good, but the face is very closed at setup. Like enough that I may not be able to play it.

Spin was 100-200rpm lower than my current G400 Max. Launch angle just a touch lower, but not much.

And I didn't notice the sound. Like at all. I actually didn't even think about it until I was walking back to my car.

Got to hit the G425 Max and LST today with the Tensei Orange in stiff and the Alta in XS.

Feels really good, but the face is very closed at setup. Like enough that I may not be able to play it.

Spin was 100-200rpm lower than my current G400 Max. Launch angle just a touch lower, but not much.

And I didn't notice the sound. Like at all. I actually didn't even think about it until I was walking back to my car.
Did you think both models looked closed? I thought the exact same thing about the Max but the LST seemed more neutral to new.

Did you think both models looked closed? I thought the exact same thing about the Max but the LST seemed more neutral to new.
I thought both looked closed, but the Max more so. I didn't even have them build an SFT to compare, but I probably should have.

Reactions: KEV

These remarks about the sound get annoying after a while. Especially coming from people who haven’t hit the club, but only watched videos.
I’m on a few golf message boards, after a while you begin to notice the majority of people on different sites prefer different OEMs. On one they love Mizuno irons, another loves Callaway, another Ping, and so on....
I love to come for information and conversation, but I take opinions with a grain of salt.
For example, when I see a guys signature is showing a bag full of Callaway clubs, I’m not going to pay any more heed to him complaining about the sound of a Ping driver than I am a guy playing a bag full of Pings complaining about the color scheme or naming of Callaway clubs.

Looking forward to your thoughts Brian7770. It wasn't all that low spin for me, but wasn't crazy high either. If people can get over the sound (it's very loud), the Max will be appealing.

Yeah, for me, I don't want to sacrifice forgiveness for distance if I'm going to hit noticeably fewer fairways, so dispersion, consistency, and confidence will certainly be a factor. Clearly, there are models from other brands that would also fit this criteria, so my fitting should be interesting and fun.

Yeah, for me, I don't want to sacrifice forgiveness for distance if I'm going to hit noticeably fewer fairways, so dispersion, consistency, and confidence will certainly be a factor. Clearly, there are models from other brands that would also fit this criteria, so my fitting should be interesting and fun.
Definitely and honestly fittings are a ton of fun. I’m sure during THP Showcase week there will be lots of comparisons on different clubs that might help spur your interest too.

I like your thought process on this. This is the mindset I'm going to bring to my fitting as well. A few extras yards are nice but I killed my chances at good scores this year having to hit out of fescue half my rounds.

Definitely and honestly fittings are a ton of fun. I’m sure during THP Showcase week there will be lots of comparisons on different clubs that might help spur your interest too.

Yes! I'm looking forward to the showcase!

As for fittings, I've been fitted for irons and wedges already, so I do have some experience, and it can be very interesting to see how different components can make a difference. For example, before my fitting I wouldn't have expected to fit into the Project X shafts, but they helped give me the launch, spin, and even descent angle (not to mention consistency) I needed with the JPX-921 Hot Metal heads.

I like your thought process on this. This is the mindset I'm going to bring to my fitting as well. A few extras yards are nice but I killed my chances at good scores this year having to hit out of fescue half my rounds.

You can see the driver currently in my bag, and I was atrocious with driver last season. I could just never get comfortable with the exception of a round or two. I've been working on my driver swing with my coach, so hopefully I'll be able to make the most of my fitting next month. :)

Reactions: KEV
I hit the G425 MAX 9* today at a store but the free fitting was so bad because the launch monitor (TrackMan) readings sucked. The balls were terrible, I actually cracked one. I’m carrying it 217 with a 96 club speed today spinning it well over 3000. Had my G400 MAX with me and hit that too, about same numbers. If I’m carrying it 217 I’m going fishing.0AB91CFA-3C74-4162-9691-0C3FBA2069FE.jpeg

I hit the Alta 55, Ping Tour 65, and the 55 and 65 Tensei Orange. Kinda liked the Orange 65 out of those.

It’s a Ping and sounds like one. I didn’t notice much difference between my Max and this new one. It’s different but didn’t bother me.

Appears to my eyes to sit a little closed compared to my 400 MAX.

I need a real fitting at CC to see if I need this.

So I went to the range last night. The facility had the the g425 but fitters weren’t there so we couldn’t go wild. Got to hit the 425 lst against the 410 lst and the 425 sounds way better. So I had a fitting scheduled for the 13th at GolfTec and got word of a better fitter at a local place so I cancelled the fitting at GolfTec and calling this guy Monday. I bring this up bc I thought for sure if I ended up with the g425 (my second choice for drivers this year) I would end up in a Max. I had the wrong shaft in the LST (too stiff and too long) but I actually had descent ball flight and didn’t see a bad miss right which was what I expected. The weight was in the heel. Looking forward to my fitting. I really wanted to hit the Callaway EPIC Max LS against it but they hadn’t gotten the Callaway stuff yet (they expect it any day). I’m going back this Friday to hit the range and see if it is in yet and also to get a stiff shaft with stock length. Reason for the extra stiff shaft was the two guys with me were both x-stiff shaft users so that’s what we went with. I just wanted to see how the driver felt. I did hit some with my flash and The distance was about the same but I can’t really give a good comparison between the two bc of the shaft in the g425.

Back