What is with all the Ping bashing?
No one is bashing. They’re sharing real world feedback and opinions, which might be different than others takes, and that is OK.

I wouldn’t say easily, but would agree upon potentially

Changing out the rear weight on the driver is extremely easy. Unless you’re referring to the hotmelt process, which would still be incredibly easy because Ping will do it before they ship the club out. Add 4-6 grams of hotmelt wherever you want in the driver head and then swap the rear weight out for one that’s 4-6 grams lighter and you’re done. The sound is deadened and the weight is the same as the stock setup. There are already third party weights on eBay, which I have a handful of already to adjust Swingweight during fittings. They are well made and not too expensive.

Of course and it already has been communicated. In fact spoken to someone there quite a bit the last 3 days about the entire line.

What is their excuse, reasoning, or answer behind it ?

It seemed they put a lot of thought into the g400 woods acoustics to move away from it. Or do they stand behind the g425 acoustics as being a positive ?

What is their excuse, reasoning, or answer behind it ?

It seemed they put a lot of thought into the g400 woods acoustics to move away from it. Or do they stand behind the g425 acoustics as being a positive ?

Ping has always been fairly upfront on what they focus on. Dr Paul Wood from Ping did a few videos explaining how their engineering department goes about designing the new heads and what happens. They go through what they call a “Trade-Off” stage where they list all of the things they want to do as well as the things they’ll need to “trade” in order for that to happen. It may be the case that this time, something else was focused on to have the G425 Max outperform the G410 Plus and the acoustics is the trade off. I can’t say for sure that is the case though.

I have a soft spot for ping drivers and currently have the g410 lst in the bag and really like it. Also played the 400 lst which I think has been their best so far. I was pretty excited for this line up but from what I have seen it doesn’t look like much of a different driver than what I currently have. I will try it out for sure at some point this year but a Ping driver won’t be in the bag for 2021

This comment is inappropriate and frankly I don’t eye roll anyone so if I take the brunt of something like that, it seems incredibly unfair and not THPer like.

if you have a problem with someone please reach out to a staff member or utilize the report feature, there is no need to take it out on others.
I know I'm late to this, but I'm genuinely confused. Why is the comment above inappropriate? I have no stake in the underlying debate. I realize that you were asked your opinion and gave it and that you didn't understand why someone would respond with an eye roll. I also get why someone (who others agreed with) would think it odd that you would be willing to sacrifice both accuracy and distance to NOT play a specific driver, especially since THP Staff has mostly been silent or negative with respect to this particular release. But no big deal - everyone has their preferences (and that's coming from someone who personally doesn't really care for PING gear).

But I don't understand even a little bit how you can call a poster "inappropriate" for pointing out that THP Staffers also use the eye roll emjoi. It is 100% factually accurate that staff use it. And it seems completely fair game to question why staff would react negativity to that emjoi when they use it themselves. I acknowledge that you may not personally use it (I have no idea), but you are undoubtedly one of the most visible staff members on this site. So it seems fair for someone to respond to your post by referring to staff generally. And if staff use the emoji and staff then react negatively to its use in response to their posts, how is it "inappropriate" to call out that dichotomy? Maybe the eye roll needs to go the way of the thumbs down if it fosters a negative environment. But in my admittedly inconsequential opinion , so too does staff calling out members for criticism they don't like.

Im going to compile some data on this, but genuinely it comes down to location of impact. Some areas the G425 Max excelled, low on the face it wasn't particularly strong, but I will make sure to get everything together and share at some point.
My first and last Ping driver was the G30. Went to it at the time from a Taylor Made and really liked it particularly the forgiveness. Since then ive been Callaway. Epic to the Rogue. When the Epic Flash came out i did a head to head on the course and for me the Rogue was just better. I did switch to the Mavrik Max and really like it. The only way i would make a switch would be if the new driver was at least as long as the Mavrik Max and much more forgiving. Anxious to hear comparisons between the new Epic Max and the Ping G 425.

My first and last Ping driver was the G30. Went to it at the time from a Taylor Made and really liked it particularly the forgiveness. Since then ive been Callaway. Epic to the Rogue. When the Epic Flash came out i did a head to head on the course and for me the Rogue was just better. I did switch to the Mavrik Max and really like it. The only way i would make a switch would be if the new driver was at least as long as the Mavrik Max and much more forgiving. Anxious to hear comparisons between the new Epic Max and the Ping G 425.

I think most Max drivers from companies are going to be pretty darn forgiving. Where that forgiveness is for the player will differ quite a bit. Some high, low, laterally, etc. I think the G425 line is pretty forgiving across the face. I think there are going to be a lot of golfers that like the performance and with the subjective nature of the sound, it might not be bad for them. There are some seriously great products on the market and coming to the market this year and I am such a huge fan of choices. I don't think anybody has to sacrifice looks, sound and feel to go along with performance and whichever way their subjective likes fall in the first three, there is going to be something pretty awesome for them.

I know I'm late to this, but I'm genuinely confused. Why is the comment above inappropriate? I have no stake in the underlying debate. I realize that you were asked your opinion and gave it and that you didn't understand why someone would respond with an eye roll. I also get why someone (who others agreed with) would think it odd that you would be willing to sacrifice both accuracy and distance to NOT play a specific driver, especially since THP Staff has mostly been silent or negative with respect to this particular release. But no big deal - everyone has their preferences (and that's coming from someone who personally doesn't really care for PING gear).

But I don't understand even a little bit how you can call a poster "inappropriate" for pointing out that THP Staffers also use the eye roll emjoi. It is 100% factually accurate that staff use it. And it seems completely fair game to question why staff would react negativity to that emjoi when they use it themselves. I acknowledge that you may not personally use it (I have no idea), but you are undoubtedly one of the most visible staff members on this site. So it seems fair for someone to respond to your post by referring to staff generally. And if staff use the emoji and staff then react negatively to its use in response to their posts, how is it "inappropriate" to call out that dichotomy? Maybe the eye roll needs to go the way of the thumbs down if it fosters a negative environment. But in my admittedly inconsequential opinion , so too does staff calling out members for criticism they don't like.
I’m not interested in playing this game. My role as a content creator here is to provide the community with accurate feedback both from my perspective and experience with the product.

I’m also at the forefront of cultivating a positive community experience that makes people feel comfortable to share their experiences without the ridicule of others who may disagree (with my personal damn perspective) when I share them.

I have no interest in being lumped in with others purely based on the badge that falls under my name as I believe I bring positive energy to this community as often as possible. If people have a problem with staff, report the damn post that bothers. Don’t take it out on others or excuse doing it because it’s what others do. That’s NOT the THP way.

and as I do not encourage or support the eye roll emoji and would prefer it didn’t exist, I’ll respond every time one of my posts receives it. And I’m not sorry about that.

I’m going to move on from this as I’ve had an exceptionally busy week being away from my family, juggling my day job, and providing THP with unprecedented access to the industry.

I’m not interested in playing this game. My role as a content creator here is to provide the community with accurate feedback both from my perspective and experience with the product.

I’m also at the forefront of cultivating a positive community experience that makes people feel comfortable to share their experiences without the ridicule of others who may disagree (with my personal damn perspective) when I share them.

I have no interest in being lumped in with others purely based on the badge that falls under my name as I believe I bring positive energy to this community as often as possible. If people have a problem with staff, report the damn post that bothers. Don’t take it out on others or excuse doing it because it’s what others do. That’s NOT the THP way.

and as I do not encourage or support the eye roll emoji and would prefer it didn’t exist, I’ll respond every time one of my posts receives it. And I’m not sorry about that.

I’m going to move on from this as I’ve had an exceptionally busy week being away from my family, juggling my day job, and providing THP with unprecedented access to the industry.
I love what happens here with reviews. Staff reviews as well as member reviews have been great (as yours always are). I appreciate when people give their honest opinion regardless of what it is. I enjoy this community and after a stressful days work its great to come here and read about and discuss not only golf clubs and gear, but Sports to Pets and everything in between. And i enjoy the mutual respect people show each other. Thanks for what you and everyone at THP does. It is appreciated. Not here but life in general i think many people more often than not only take time to write to complain about service or something but not enough time to write to say thank you or to recognize excellence. I know how much it means to me when a client calls or writes me to thank me for something i or my staff worked hard on to say something nice and say thank you. So again to you and all at THP thank you for what you do. And this week has been fantastic.

Well, I'm excited for my max to show up some day. I survived with a hibore for quite some time and that thing sounded like artillery shells that left my ears ringing. But I hit a lot of fairways with that thing and for all the crap my friends gave me I enjoyed the laugh as they were poking out of the woods. Bring the raucous bring the noise! 😁

Well, I'm excited for my max to show up some day. I survived with a hibore for quite some time and that thing sounded like artillery shells that left my ears ringing. But I hit a lot of fairways with that thing and for all the crap my friends gave me I enjoyed the laugh as they were poking out of the woods. Bring the raucous bring the noise! 😁

The G425 is a phenomenal line. The fairway woods are awesome and need to be looked at by any golfer looking to upgrade their fairways. The hybrids the last year were great as well and this year is no different. I welcome the change to no turbulators on the fairways/hybrids and the face wrap technology is legit. I will be gaming the G425 LST fairway wood and driver for the time being.

As with any club there are downsides to it and with the G425 Max the only thing I would change is the sound. And that can be changed rather easily from the factory or aftermarket by an experienced club builder.

Changing out the rear weight on the driver is extremely easy. Unless you’re referring to the hotmelt process, which would still be incredibly easy because Ping will do it before they ship the club out. Add 4-6 grams of hotmelt wherever you want in the driver head and then swap the rear weight out for one that’s 4-6 grams lighter and you’re done. The sound is deadened and the weight is the same as the stock setup. There are already third party weights on eBay, which I have a handful of already to adjust Swingweight during fittings. They are well made and not too expensive.

I’ve never used hot melt in a club, nor do I intend to, so it’s not my field of expertise at all. But wouldn’t what you describe doing change the characteristics of the club?

The G425 is a phenomenal line. The fairway woods are awesome and need to be looked at by any golfer looking to upgrade their fairways. The hybrids the last year were great as well and this year is no different. I welcome the change to no turbulators on the fairways/hybrids and the face wrap technology is legit. I will be gaming the G425 LST fairway wood and driver for the time being.

As with any club there are downsides to it and with the G425 Max the only thing I would change is the sound. And that can be changed rather easily from the factory or aftermarket by an experienced club builder.
Does hot melt placement make a difference on acoustics

I’ve never used hot melt in a club, nor do I intend to, so it’s not my field of expertise at all. But wouldn’t what you describe doing change the characteristics of the club?

Depends on where you put the hotmelt. If you put the hotmelt low and towards the rear, there won’t be a noticeable change. If you put the hotmelt anywhere else in the head, there will be minor changes. Those changes will grow/shrink depending on how much hotmelt is added.

Does hot melt placement make a difference on acoustics

Are you asking if where you put the hotmelt can change the acoustics vs another location? If so, not from my experience. I would recommend for anyone who isn’t trying to manipulate ball flight and/or spin, to add hotmelt to the lowest and most rear part of the club, then swap the rear weight out for a lighter weight. That would essentially be a even swap and all that would change is the sound, assuming you’re not adding more than 4-8 grams.

Are you asking if where you put the hotmelt can change the acoustics vs another location? If so, not from my experience. I would recommend for anyone who isn’t trying to manipulate ball flight and/or spin, to add hotmelt to the lowest and most rear part of the club, then swap the rear weight out for a lighter weight. That would essentially be a even swap and all that would change is the sound, assuming you’re not adding more than 4-8 grams.
Yes. Essentially, if the goal is primarily acoustics is there a place that is better than others. I get the swapping for a lighter weight aspect. Especially when the head is heavier like the pings seem to be.

Fact is however, the PING heads are already hot melted and adding to it, regardless of the the weight in the port, is a tedious process.

I say this as one who has added hotmelt to both the 425 LST and 400 Max that it’s not as simple as swap a weight and slap some hotmelt in.

Hot melts and different weights just seems like a lot of unnecessary work to take on with all the choices we have - there’s gotta be something else that would work just as well. Then again, if I really liked the driver ... (and I say this not to bang on Ping - I loved my G30 SFT driver and i25(?) irons)

I was fit for the G425 at MK Golf Technologies here in San Antonio yesterday afternoon. I am 66 years old, play once a week and am currently a 21 handicap. That being said I am probably not a good enough golfer to be reviewing a club, but I can share my experience. My current club is a Ping G410 SFT. My average drive is 220 yards and I slice about 50% of the time. Yesterday afternoon I hit the G425 Max & SFT with all the "stock" Ping shafts, and a bunch of different hosel settings and weight positions.
When I first picked up the club I immediately liked it better than my G410. I don't know why, it might have just the fact I was excited about getting a new club. Maybe I am not a good enough or experienced golfer yet, but I can't remember even noticing the sound of it. So I can't tell you if it was any different than the G410 or any other driver for that matter.
Anyway, after about an hour and a half, and I don't know how many balls we arrived at the best fit for me.
G425 10.5 SFT with the Tensei Orange 55 R +1/4", standard hosel. I have NEVER hit a driver so straight and consistent as this one! And my average total distance was 232 yards. As I said earlier I am not competent enough to review a golf club, but in my opinion this driver is game changer.
For those of you that like, and can interpret the numbers here they are. (Foresight)
Club head speed 92.9, Ball speed 130.4, Launch angle 13.8, Backspin 2735, Side angle 4.1, Efficiency 1.40, Dynamic loft 19.9, Dynamic lie 5.1, Face angle 4.9, Path 2.9, Attack 1.5, Carry 211, Total 232

I was fit for the G425 at MK Golf Technologies here in San Antonio yesterday afternoon. I am 66 years old, play once a week and am currently a 21 handicap. That being said I am probably not a good enough golfer to be reviewing a club, but I can share my experience. My current club is a Ping G410 SFT. My average drive is 220 yards and I slice about 50% of the time. Yesterday afternoon I hit the G425 Max & SFT with all the "stock" Ping shafts, and a bunch of different hosel settings and weight positions.
When I first picked up the club I immediately liked it better than my G410. I don't know why, it might have just the fact I was excited about getting a new club. Maybe I am not a good enough or experienced golfer yet, but I can't remember even noticing the sound of it. So I can't tell you if it was any different than the G410 or any other driver for that matter.
Anyway, after about an hour and a half, and I don't know how many balls we arrived at the best fit for me.
G425 10.5 SFT with the Tensei Orange 55 R +1/4", standard hosel. I have NEVER hit a driver so straight and consistent as this one! And my average total distance was 232 yards. As I said earlier I am not competent enough to review a golf club, but in my opinion this driver is game changer.
For those of you that like, and can interpret the numbers here they are. (Foresight)
Club head speed 92.9, Ball speed 130.4, Launch angle 13.8, Backspin 2735, Side angle 4.1, Efficiency 1.40, Dynamic loft 19.9, Dynamic lie 5.1, Face angle 4.9, Path 2.9, Attack 1.5, Carry 211, Total 232

The name of the website is The Hackers Paradise.
Everybody is competent enough to share their thoughts and thank you for sharing yours.

Thanks for sharing this and welcome to THP! Hope you enjoy the driver and keep hitting them straight. Did you play the G410 plus or the SFT G410?

I say this as one who has added hotmelt to both the 425 LST and 400 Max that it’s not as simple as swap a weight and slap some hotmelt in.

where did you end up putting it in the LST?

I remember hitting a similar driver at an indoor fitting once. After like 2 swings, I couldn't stand the noise and put it down. The sigh of relief and relaxing from a brace position by the fitter told me all I needed to know. I think he had noise cancelling earbuds the next time I saw him :LOL:

These can be brutal to fit into (especially indoor fitting). They generally sound a bit better outdoor but I find it difficult to get past the noise they make

Back