Fact is however, the PING heads are already hot melted and adding to it, regardless of the the weight in the port, is a tedious process.

I say this as one who has added hotmelt to both the 425 LST and 400 Max that it’s not as simple as swap a weight and slap some hotmelt in.

I don't see the complication and have not had any complications doing it, so I guess... for some it's not easy and for others it is.

Hot melts and different weights just seems like a lot of unnecessary work to take on with all the choices we have - there’s gotta be something else that would work just as well. Then again, if I really liked the driver ... (and I say this not to bang on Ping - I loved my G30 SFT driver and i25(?) irons)

Again, it isn't any work on your end if you're ordering the driver from Ping. You simply tell them what you want and they'll do it, so no work what-so-ever on your end. If you have already purchased the driver, then it will require the work of finding a club builder who will do it, and then after that there isn't any work on your end.

Yes. Essentially, if the goal is primarily acoustics is there a place that is better than others. I get the swapping for a lighter weight aspect. Especially when the head is heavier like the pings seem to be.

I haven't seen a lot of difference in where I have put hotmelt to the acoustics, though I'm not specifically looking for that. I would assume there will be minor differences in the acoustics, but I can't quantify how much. There are benefits to hotmelt over just the acoustics as well though. You're able to really dial in a specific feel/weight/flight with it on top of being able to manipulate acoustics.

G410 SFT

it bums me out to hear the sound is not so good on the Max. I grew to love the sound of the G400 line, skipped the 410, and was hoping I'd fall for something here. Sounds(no pun) like that might not be the case. But the good thing is, I'm sure I can find a 410 if I really want to go that route. The last 2 times I've played a driver that I didn't like the sound, I was always left looking elsewhere no matter how well it performed. That's right, I'm looking at your Triton and Epic Flash. People laugh at it, but the Triton is still one of my most favorite performing drivers I've ever gamed, but the sound just pushed me away after a bit. Epic Flash was the same story.

it bums me out to hear the sound is not so good on the Max. I grew to love the sound of the G400 line, skipped the 410, and was hoping I'd fall for something here. Sounds(no pun) like that might not be the case. But the good thing is, I'm sure I can find a 410 if I really want to go that route. The last 2 times I've played a driver that I didn't like the sound, I was always left looking elsewhere no matter how well it performed. That's right, I'm looking at your Triton and Epic Flash. People laugh at it, but the Triton is still one of my most favorite performing drivers I've ever gamed, but the sound just pushed me away after a bit. Epic Flash was the same story.

If you liked the sound of the G400 Max, you should have no worries with the G425 Max. Triton was similar in my opinion, with Epic Flash a bit lower on pitch.

If you liked the sound of the G400 Max, you should have no worries with the G425 Max. Triton was similar in my opinion, with Epic Flash a bit lower on pitch.

I was speaking of the regular g400. I'm one where I can get over sound, but it just can wear on me over a period of time, and becomes and easy scapegoat when trying something new.

The G400 LST was special, but I think a lot of that was due to the sound of the previous models. I don't know that I've ever classified a Ping driver as the standard for sound with a driver. It's so hard to hit a wide audience with acoustics these days because there are so many different preferences. We can all agree that the G425 Max is loud and not preferable. However, I've had golfers who hated the sound/feel of the SIM last year while others thought it was the best sounding/feeling driver they've ever hit. The way I've done all of my fittings so far with the G425 Max is remind the golfer that we can manipulate the sound, so focus on the numbers and looks. It slowly becomes a non issue for the most part after that conversation. Some indoor facilities have concrete walls with no buffering so the sound is much harsher than outdoors. We have padded walls at our facility so the sound isn't unbearable (still not preferable). I would tell anyone who is looking at the G425 to take this into consideration when testing it out. YOU'RE NOT STUCK WITH THE SOUND! I had a lot players in the G410 Plus with a touch of hotmelt towards the front of the face to drop spin a hair and will do the same with the G425 Max.

I was fit for the G425 at MK Golf Technologies here in San Antonio yesterday afternoon. I am 66 years old, play once a week and am currently a 21 handicap. That being said I am probably not a good enough golfer to be reviewing a club, but I can share my experience. My current club is a Ping G410 SFT. My average drive is 220 yards and I slice about 50% of the time. Yesterday afternoon I hit the G425 Max & SFT with all the "stock" Ping shafts, and a bunch of different hosel settings and weight positions.
When I first picked up the club I immediately liked it better than my G410. I don't know why, it might have just the fact I was excited about getting a new club. Maybe I am not a good enough or experienced golfer yet, but I can't remember even noticing the sound of it. So I can't tell you if it was any different than the G410 or any other driver for that matter.
Anyway, after about an hour and a half, and I don't know how many balls we arrived at the best fit for me.
G425 10.5 SFT with the Tensei Orange 55 R +1/4", standard hosel. I have NEVER hit a driver so straight and consistent as this one! And my average total distance was 232 yards. As I said earlier I am not competent enough to review a golf club, but in my opinion this driver is game changer.
For those of you that like, and can interpret the numbers here they are. (Foresight)
Club head speed 92.9, Ball speed 130.4, Launch angle 13.8, Backspin 2735, Side angle 4.1, Efficiency 1.40, Dynamic loft 19.9, Dynamic lie 5.1, Face angle 4.9, Path 2.9, Attack 1.5, Carry 211, Total 232
Very solid numbers you got there. That should be plenty playable on the course. Good luck with the new big dog !!

I am seeing a lot of "sound" issues. Make sure you are taking the time to hit the driver. I get sound is very personal to many as it should be, but don't do a driver the in justice of not hitting it because of what you read. The G400 Max was loud, but was hard to deny how great a performance driver it was. I learned to ignore it.

I am seeing a lot of "sound" issues. Make sure you are taking the time to hit the driver. I get sound is very personal to many as it should be, but don't do a driver the in justice of not hitting it because of what you read. The G400 Max was loud, but was hard to deny how great a performance driver it was. I learned to ignore it.

I don't even notice that the sound on my G400 MAX is supposed to be bad. LOL.

I've seen diy hotmelt kits for like $70. Is it recommended to avoid those? It looks like ping already added a screw-in port instead of the plug that I have seen most drivers have. Maybe they planned for the "hotmelt" discussion.

and it’s so personal too. i’m not a big carbon sound fan. i prefer a higher pitch. i admit the 400 max was super loud, but i didn’t hate it. especially when it gave me amazing results. everyone is different, and i’d say if someone is interested they should do everything they can to test it outdoors. they won’t cure everything, but it will at least be a fairer representation of what the driver will sound like when in play.

I've seen diy hotmelt kits for like $70. Is it recommended to avoid those? It looks like ping already added a screw-in port instead of the plug that I have seen most drivers have. Maybe they planned for the "hotmelt" discussion.

Hotmelt is not something for beginner club builders. It’s nearly impossible to remove it if you put too much in. The ports were screw in on the 410 series as well.

I can’t say whether the DIY kits are worth it or not as I have never used one. But I will say, practice practice practice practice and then practice more.

I have many thoughts I’m going to share on these this weekend, some good, some not so good, and some just indifferent either way.

I want to say again though, the idea of THP at its core is passionate golfers coming together to share feedback, thoughts, preferences, information, and so much more, with the understanding that a different opinion is not an attack on a different opinions core values or any other kind of attack.

I have played, and loved the past two PING driver releases, and LAUDED them on the forum, but I’m also unbiased and will always call things like I see them.

Hopefully a good conversation can be had this weekend.

I have many thoughts I’m going to share on these this weekend, some good, some not so good, and some just indifferent either way.

I want to say again though, the idea of THP at its core is passionate golfers coming together to share feedback, thoughts, preferences, information, and so much more, with the understanding that a different opinion is not an attack on a different opinions core values or any other kind of attack.

I have played, and loved the past two PING driver releases, and LAUDED them on the forum, but I’m also unbiased and will always call things like I see them.

Hopefully a good conversation can be had this weekend.
Im looking forward to it! To be honest sometimes I feel other brands get more love and are showcase more, and as a fan of Ping its like someone cheering against your team. However I get over it very quickly and realize there is a ton of good stuff out there and the reviews are people's opinions and they should have their own opinions. I like that most about THP, people are gonna cheer for their stuff and not just go in line and declare something as greatest thing ever. So we get different views on feel, sound, aesthetics,
etc and it makes this community better because of that Also I tell myself if THP doesn't have Ping events it's probably because of logistics and and/or the company not wanting to, which makes me bummed. Much respect to the staff writers in what they do as they don't get paid and it's a labor of love. I do write-ups and such for something non golf related and it takes up time and that commodity is so valuable.

Im looking forward to it! To be honest sometimes I feel other brands get more love and are showcase more, and as a fan of Ping its like someone cheering against your team. However I get over it very quickly and realize there is a ton of good stuff out there and the reviews are people's opinions and they should have their own opinions. I like that most about THP, people are gonna cheer for their stuff and not just go in line and declare something as greatest thing ever. So we get different views on feel, sound, aesthetics,
etc and it makes this community better because of that Also I tell myself if THP doesn't have Ping events it's probably because of logistics and and/or the company not wanting to, which makes me bummed. Much respect to the staff writers in what they do as they don't get paid and it's a labor of love. I do write-ups and such for something non golf related and it takes up time and that commodity is so valuable.
We had an event at PING HQ just a couple of years ago. Great time for 24 Albatross Club Members

We had an event at PING HQ just a couple of years ago. Great time for 24 Albatross Club Members
I would love that!,,

Despite the apparent loudness, I'm extremely curious about the G425 Max. I definitely want to try it, and I'll likely also need to try the LST as well to get more ideal spin numbers.

See that’s the thing people need to get over, it’s ok to have an opinion and it’s a perfect example why we have so many options.

I’m not calling you out but using this example... when staff gets brought up as saying the same thing or bashing you all have to realize that we are all experiencing the same thing at the same time. There is no we hate Ping at THP mandate. Ping no doubt makes a great product or they wouldn’t be around as long as they have and it works for many people. However when you literally hit everything out on the market right now and have that comparison under the same conditions and we point out a difference we are just reporting to the forum what we are experiencing.

See that’s the thing people need to get over, it’s ok to have an opinion and it’s a perfect example why we have so many options.

I’m not calling you out but using this example... when staff gets brought up as saying the same thing or bashing you all have to realize that we are all experiencing the same thing at the same time. There is no we hate Ping at THP mandate. Ping no doubt makes a great product or they wouldn’t be around as long as they have and it works for many people. However when you literally hit everything out on the market right now and have that comparison under the same conditions and we point out a difference we are just reporting to the forum what we are experiencing.
Well said Jeremy. (y)

The fact that it was all hit, right there, at the same time, allows for some noticeable differences in not just sound, but performance too. I’m going to sit down at an actual keyboard later, but the thoughts are deep on these for me, it wasn’t the direction I anticipated or hoped to see from PING.

The irony of the perception of “hating” on the company is that THP has done a TON of reviews on the gear, and I even wrote the 400 Reviews before buying one afterwords and gaming it as well as the Max until I moved to the 410 LST. Hell, I even sort of made my mark here on THP with a forum review on the i20’s. Hating on a brand is not something that’s happening just because feedback being given might not be what is expected, or rather, hoped for.

If it helps at all some people may have the opposite opinion about Callaway and THP. And note that this exact same discussion about the sound of the Epic Flash happened in 2018/2019. Staffers just call it like they see it when reviewing clubs. I tend to think the “rule” is always tell the truth but do it in a tactful way.

Another thing to remember is that these are opinions of a few people. It's not a death sentence on a specific club if anyone on THP or any other forum/media outlet doesn't like it.

Back