Not to my eye. But I do believe a lot of times that is a paralysis by over analysis thing for many as the shape of the head dictates the look more than anything to the eye as far as neutral/closed, particularly the shaping of the toe.

Fair point. I just picked up a new G400 driver that my local shop had on close out. To my eye at the neutral setting it looks great to my eye. Dead neutral looking.

Yet when I’ve tried the g410 and g425 they both look a pinch closed. If I set them to the large negative it looks square to me. But the I struggle to launch them.

Wish I had a face angle device to check to see if it’s all in my head or not lol

with the pings and TM drivers as of late all I seem to do is smother hook them. Yet I can take a Callaway driver and set it to draw weight, +2/D and hit nice high baby push draws. Makes no sense to me why those click for me.

My G425 Max sits perfectly square. It must be your eyes. :):)

Stopped over today at the local golf store to see some G425 faces. I’m going with the G425 Max is square and the G425 LST is slightly open.

I got pics to post.

C84135FB-EAF4-4E3B-8156-323742EFC508.jpeg

9* G425 MAX with Aldila White, that’s perfect.

10.5 G425 MAX with Tensei Orange. Beautiful.
66125468-6773-491B-9898-9AF7F23DD6AF.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s no way these faces are closed if you make sure the adapter is set in neutral.

There’s no way these faces are closed if you make sure the adapter is set in neutral.

I guess closed depends on definition. They measure slightly closed in our Lab, which we showed during the live stream.
Shaft leaning one way can impact that though in some pictures :)

00104EDC-D72F-4C98-A284-E4D46716FCAD.jpeg

78320B97-8E12-4CB3-9417-14B36A56FEE5.jpeg

For you righties, LST on right and MAX on left. LST is definitely a little open, MAX is perfect square.

If that 9* MAX had a 60 Aldila White on it instead of the 70 weight, they would have lightened my wallet by $500 before the Super Bowl today.

I guess closed depends on definition. They measure slightly closed in our Lab, which we showed during the live stream.
Shaft leaning one way can impact that though in some pictures :)

View attachment 8992324

Curious JB, when set to any of the lower loft hosel settings, is your gauge picking up a slightly more square or open face?

Curious JB, when set to any of the lower loft hosel settings, is your gauge picking up a slightly more square or open face?
I would love to know this as well for Max and LST.

Reactions: MH
maybe it’s the angle but they max looks closed and lst looks perfectly neutral
Yeah. Its hard to show face angle in pics, especially two at once.

I can check tomorrow for you When I am back in my office.

maybe it’s the angle but they max looks closed and lst looks perfectly neutral
Haha, I see the lst looking open. The max could be neutral. But maybe a bit closed in that pic too. Hard to tell like jman said when you have two clubs showing. Angle is hard to capture right.

Haha, I see the lst looking open. The max could be neutral. But maybe a bit closed in that pic too. Hard to tell like jman said when you have two clubs showing. Angle is hard to capture right.

It really is tough, especially when shafts lean. Its why I posted the measurement image above.

It really is tough, especially when shafts lean. Its why I posted the measurement image above.
Ah, didn’t catch that before.

I took a 425 iron to the range here today, I currently play JPX 919 forged with Modus Tour 105 stiff flex. I really wanted to like the Ping 425 but it didn’t have any feel and not much feedback at all and the sound was terrible for me. I also had the JPX 919 Hot Metal along side with it and the Hot Metal was a little better. What I‘m saying I was disappointed in the Ping, I thought for sure it would be better than it was. I’m getting a little older here (65) and thought about going to something like the Ping but for now I’m just keeping my 919 forged, still get decent distance, 150 7 iron.

Went to PGASS for a fitting. Thought I’d end up in a 10.5 Max with the Alta CB shaft and ended up with a 9 LST with the Tensei Orange. Dispersion was very similar but the lower spin ended up giving me approx 10-12 additional yards.

I can check tomorrow for you When I am back in my office.
Friendly reminders that we would love to see these numbers when they are available.

Friendly reminders that we would love to see these numbers when they are available.
I genuinely forgot and sent it off to the lucky Instagram winner @DNice26
Next time we do a THP Live on Instagram, I will grab the measuring device and do it there.

I genuinely forgot and sent it off to the lucky Instagram winner @DNice26
Next time we do a THP Live on Instagram, I will grab the measuring device and do it there.

Thank you!!!!! :D

Bought a 425 max 5 wood today. Hopefully its the answer I've been looking for.

I just want more horsepower to attack par 5s. My hybrids are solid but from longer range or with forced carries they just don't have the length and land angle to be effective.

Back