I’ve had a few more sessions in the backyard with the irons. I can’t comment on ball flight and distance, I’ve been working on swing path and impact into a net. I’ll try to get to the range later this week. I’ll have a lot to say at the end of next week. 5 rounds in 3 days coming up.

I said all that to say these definitely feel and sound more harsh than my G400’s. Even with a DuoSoft they felt ok but sounded like I was hitting an old TopFlite. Takes a few swings to get used to

I was able to get out today for to play 9 holes for my first on course experience with the G425 LST driver and boy did I come away happy! I guess hitting 5/fairways will do that.

The biggest takeaway from today is that the LST just wanted to go straight. There was one shot in particular that gives me a crazy amount of confidence for this season. The last hole I played has water down the whole left side. I hit a high toe shot that with my previous driver would have 100% been a duck hook in to the water. With the LST I saw just the slightest right to left movement but I ended up in the fairway. That right there created instant confidence.

I'll admit that forgiveness is likely going to be a bit of a step down. I hit one thin that I believe my Mavrik would have provided a little more distance. However this still went straight and kept me in the fairway.

5/6 fairways, no penalty strokes off the tee and no shots hit left in 20-30mph wind made me a very happy camper today.

My G700 must have found out they were getting replaced by G425 and decided to go on strike today on the course. And my PW came unglued at the hosel. Not broken just needs glued again. Never had that happen before and seems odd it happened after using this club for almost 2 years.

63805175596__F917425F-0525-4954-9DD0-17A225907CF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone measure the g425 max head? I got in one from global golf U Try it program and the 12* was 204g. By far the heaviest driver head I’ve ever weighed in stock form. I mean with the adapter we’re looking at a 210g total head weight.

With the Alta 55r it swing weighted around a D3. I put an even flow green 55g in it at 45.25 and it was a D4. That Alta must really be counter balanced.
I’m used to playing around a D0/D1 driver so I had a hard time with it on my on course testing. Wanted to come OTT and pull hook it. Not sure why as I always though a heavier club would mitigate an OTT move.

Anyone measure the g425 max head? I got in one from global golf U Try it program and the 12* was 204g. By far the heaviest driver head I’ve ever weighed in stock form. I mean with the adapter we’re looking at a 210g total head weight.

With the Alta 55r it swing weighted around a D3. I put an even flow green 55g in it at 45.25 and it was a D4. That Alta must really be counter balanced.
I’m used to playing around a D0/D1 driver so I had a hard time with it on my on course testing. Wanted to come OTT and pull hook it. Not sure why as I always though a heavier club would mitigate an OTT move.
My 9* head is 203g on the kitchen scale. I've not bothered to check swing weight but I don't notice much difference in the weight balance when I use the evenflow black 65g vs the stock Alta. I'm about to try a EF Riptide CB 60 later this week after it gets trimmed and tipped since I found one cheap and the PX shaft fit totally recommends this shaft for me.

The Ping adapter only weighs 4 g so that would make mine a total 207 if the scale is exact but certainly within tolerances since it is supposed to be 206g total.

Last edited:
Hit the max fairways today, and was really impressed with the performance. Very easy to launch with good distance. Honestly if the sound was better I might have bought one, but it made it a non starter for me.

Could be a real winner with the right shaft.
I was peppering little cuts in the store simulator and just about hitting the distance number I am looking for gap wise. I'm going to crank it up in loft 1* and that should get me where I want to be. There were a couple different options I was looking at for this spot but I just lover the shallow face in this spot of the bag. That's kind of funny because in the 3 wood I am the opposite and wanted a deep face.

Hit the 425 Hybrid at 22 degrees in a TPT Proto Hybrid Shaft that my instructor had hanging around.

My, that is easy to elevate and takes off like a rocket. Not a lotta' feel - just blast off.

Was fitted into G425 irons at Red dot and 1/4" over. Took my predominant hook/draw out of the equation. Is the sound/feel as good as my Gen 1 PXG 0311 irons? No. But the reviews claiming "loud/harsh" are a bit subjective IMO. I just wish I didn't have to wait 5 weeks to get these into the bag.

The LST driver showed more of the same in today's 9 holes, it just doesn't go left. So far at least. I had a few misses to the right but I was missing right with with a big push with everything today. It's so nice and a huge confidence boost to not worry at all what potential trouble couple be lurking on the left side of the course from the tee box.

The 5 wood was a mixed bag. I had increased loft 1* to start. My first couple shots had hard right to left shapes to them. I adjusted it to the flat setting and I was surprised how much that helped. After that adjustment i was seeing minimal draw which is perfect for my preference.

It's a noisy bugger though. It is like hitting a tin can, just a slightly deeper tone. I can overlook that though as long as it performs.

The sound of the drivers didn’t bother when I tried them but I tried the 3 wood the other and boy I sure didn’t like the sound of it.

The sound of the drivers didn’t bother when I tried them but I tried the 3 wood the other and boy I sure didn’t like the sound of it.
I've said this before but it's amazing that Ping released this lineup with these acoustics. I actually don't think my LST sounds bad at all, in fact I kind of like it, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a fairway wood make a sound like this. Their acoustics lab may need a little tweaking in the future.

My 9* head is 203g on the kitchen scale. I've not bothered to check swing weight but I don't notice much difference in the weight balance when I use the evenflow black 65g vs the stock Alta. I'm about to try a EF Riptide CB 60 later this week after it gets trimmed and tipped since I found one cheap and the PX shaft fit totally recommends this shaft for me.

The Ping adapter only weighs 4 g so that would make mine a total 207 if the scale is exact but certainly within tolerances since it is supposed to be 206g total.
I'll be interested to hear your take on the Riptide CB. I got the recommendation from the True Temper sight for the CB 70 in 5.5. Currently using HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 in my G400 with good results but I'd like a bit more feel.

I'll be interested to hear your take on the Riptide CB. I got the recommendation from the True Temper sight for the CB 70 in 5.5. Currently using HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 in my G400 with good results but I'd like a bit more feel.
I need some more time with it. I took it out today for the first time and got it on the course but my swing was crap today. I switched back to my EvenFlow Black for the back 9 and hit a but better but I can't say that it was due to the shaft. My driver swing has been all over the place for the last couple of weeks now so I need to find out what I did to mess myself up.

I need some more time with it. I took it out today for the first time and got it on the course but my swing was crap today. I switched back to my EvenFlow Black for the back 9 and hit a but better but I can't say that it was due to the shaft. My driver swing has been all over the place for the last couple of weeks now so I need to find out what I did to mess myself up.
I didn’t get along with the original EF Blue in driver, but read they’d tightened things up with the RT.

I didn’t get along with the original EF Blue in driver, but read they’d tightened things up with the RT.
Overall impressions is that the flex feels similar to the evenflow black. The riptide cb is 62g and the ef black is 65g. My riptide is a bit longer. I asked for it to be cut to play at 45" but upon review it is the same length as the stock Alta. I'll leave it as is for a bit to see how it goes before I decided to trim it. My swing today was too much from my chest and not enough from my arms. I'm going to try to go work on that tomorrow but speed and distance were an issue for me today so I really can't give a good read on the flex differences. It should play a touch softer. I'm hoping it ends up almost as stable as the evenflow black but a touch more spin.

Has anyone compared this club to the mavrik max?
I did extensive comparisons with these two drivers since they was my final two. After warming up I hit 15 balls each with both drivers. At the end of the comparison the Ping just felt more right for me. Below is my comparison. I’ll take accuracy anytime over distance...

Ping 425 86% (13 for 15) of fairways hit and averaged 268 yards. Long drive 284

Callaway Mavrik 60% (9 for 15) of fairways hit and averaged 271 yards. Long drive 289

Has anyone compared this club to the mavrik max?

Not the Max but I'm coming from the regular Mavrik. I only have a small sample size so far but my LST is much more neutral to fade bias whereas the Mavrik got me in trouble going left quite often. Distance wise I think the Mavrik is probably the winner. I don't think it is a significant advantage but I do think it has the edge in distance. But, I'm more than willing to give up a little distance to hit fairways and stop losing strokes off the tee.

The flat setting for a fairway wood sounds really good too. Has anyone tried the flat setting in the woods?

I lofted my 5 wood up 1* yesterday and was seeing a bit of a draw, bordering on a hook. After a couple of those shots I adjusted it to 1* but in the flat setting and I saw a much straighter flight. I was actually pretty impressed that I was seeing that much of a difference.

One of our members brought a driver back into the pro shop as I was checking in and said to the head pro "nope, I'm putting this back." It was the Ping G425 driver and he said he hit it twice and his ears were ringing. Kind of a funny exchange.

I really want to take the demo down to the range and see what it sounds like outside, especially the different heads.

One of our members brought a driver back into the pro shop as I was checking in and said to the head pro "nope, I'm putting this back." It was the Ping G425 driver and he said he hit it twice and his ears were ringing. Kind of a funny exchange.

I really want to take the demo down to the range and see what it sounds like outside, especially the different heads.
Man I can't imagine what the Max version would sound like with rock hard range balls. My poor ears are ringing just thinking about it.

Not the Max but I'm coming from the regular Mavrik. I only have a small sample size so far but my LST is much more neutral to fade bias whereas the Mavrik got me in trouble going left quite often. Distance wise I think the Mavrik is probably the winner. I don't think it is a significant advantage but I do think it has the edge in distance. But, I'm more than willing to give up a little distance to hit fairways and stop losing strokes off the tee.

I lofted my 5 wood up 1* yesterday and was seeing a bit of a draw, bordering on a hook. After a couple of those shots I adjusted it to 1* but in the flat setting and I saw a much straighter flight. I was actually pretty impressed that I was seeing that much of a difference.

Put some lead tape towards the toe of the Mavrik to get rid of its slight draw bias.

Back