Man I can't imagine what the Max version would sound like with rock hard range balls. My poor ears are ringing just thinking about it.
I might be wrong, and maybe @Jman can keep me honest, but I thought the Max was quieter on both this head and the G410. I don't have much exposure to either head so I'm only going on cloudy memory.

I'm excited that my club probably has both heads to demo, so hopefully they have a shaft that works for me that I can plug in when I get my swing sorted out fully so I can give it a fair shake.

It’s not that loud. Some of you would be John Holmes if you ever had to describe your third leg :D

I think people are being overdramatic about the sound of this club.
I wonder if part of it has to do with what was available over the last couple years, as I know quite a few companies went very low on the audible scale - which of course, if they put one in the bag, sort of redefines their sound expectation.

I wonder if part of it has to do with what was available over the last couple years, as I know quite a few companies went very low on the audible scale - which of course, if they put one in the bag, sort of redefines their sound expectation.
I think this is a big part of it. There are so many carbon options out there with that more muted sound that this stands out.

I actually like how my LST sounds. As much as I liked that muted thud of a carbon driver I've kind of missed the almost old school titanium'ish sound this has.

I might be wrong, and maybe @Jman can keep me honest, but I thought the Max was quieter on both this head and the G410. I don't have much exposure to either head so I'm only going on cloudy memory.

I'm excited that my club probably has both heads to demo, so hopefully they have a shaft that works for me that I can plug in when I get my swing sorted out fully so I can give it a fair shake.
The 400 Max was louder than the regular 400 and the LST. The 400’s (non Max) actually sounded quite good...then Ping threw that out the window :ROFLMAO:

Possibly. As a musician who knows people with perfect pitch I see people complain about driver sounds being so annoying like they think it’s few cents short of being a perfect F# or leaving a scale hanging on the 7th note and not resolving it.

Possibly. As a musician who knows people with perfect pitch I see people complain about driver sounds being so annoying like they think it’s few cents short of being a perfect F# or leaving a scale hanging on the 7th note and not resolving it.
I don't know what any of that means haha, but I do appreciate the idea that everyone has a sound that works for them - and I also genuinely believe people make different sounds off drivers than others do.

I'm super curious to hit the full lineup outside for myself - I just thought the exchange was funny and wanted to share.

I don't know what any of that means haha, but I do appreciate the idea that everyone has a sound that works for them - and I also genuinely believe people make different sounds off drivers than others do.

I'm super curious to hit the full lineup outside for myself - I just thought the exchange was funny and wanted to share.
Certainly possible. I just don’t get hung up on sound. If you hand me a driver that sounds like the horn of a model T every time I hit it but goes farther and straighter than anything else I will play it.

Pretty good weekend for Ping drivers on Tour. Joel Dahmen put the G425 LST in the bag and won. Victor Perez played a G425 Max and made the consolation match at the Match Play. And I'm pretty sure Scottie Scheffler had a G400 LST for his second place finish.

I'll be interested to hear your take on the Riptide CB. I got the recommendation from the True Temper sight for the CB 70 in 5.5. Currently using HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 in my G400 with good results but I'd like a bit more feel.
Just to give you some more feedback sicne I spent more time with both shafts tonight. I do think I need to trim the CB about 1/2". The EF black seems considerably more stable. My own swing flaws cause everything to want to go right. (I'm a lefty) but the Evenflow black wants to go less right. Maybe its the difference in length because they feel completely different as well. I'm sure the swingweights are different because of the length if nothing else. I suspect I will like the Riptide CB a lot more when it is a bit shorter. Once I get them the same length I'd like to get some trackman time to really see what the spin and launch differences end up being for me.

Just to give you some more feedback sicne I spent more time with both shafts tonight. I do think I need to trim the CB about 1/2". The EF black seems considerably more stable. My own swing flaws cause everything to want to go right. (I'm a lefty) but the Evenflow black wants to go less right. Maybe its the difference in length because they feel completely different as well. I'm sure the swingweights are different because of the length if nothing else. I suspect I will like the Riptide CB a lot more when it is a bit shorter. Once I get them the same length I'd like to get some trackman time to really see what the spin and launch differences end up being for me.
Thanks for the update. Keep me posted on your progres.

Alright, I have about 27 holes in with the G425 in the bag (still a small sample size I know) and so far I'm impressed. Zero balls lost off the tee, not one big snap hook and I'm seeing good distance.

Today on my hometown course I had a skanky closed face, toey strike that with every driver I've played the last couple of years I guarantee would have been a snap hook in to the Creek on this hole. This one had a little draw but stayed out of trouble. It was still a terrible shot and didn't go very far but man it was nice not having that penalty stroke.

I also got a great chance to compare distance to my previous drivers. I've played this course hundreds of times and know what to expect and the LST was right up there distance wise with everything else I've gamed. On perfectly struck, absolutely smashed shots it may come up a little shorter but overall it hangs in with everything else in my experience.

Alright, I have about 27 holes in with the G425 in the bag (still a small sample size I know) and so far I'm impressed. Zero balls lost off the tee, not one big snap hook and I'm seeing good distance.

Today on my hometown course I had a skanky closed face, toey strike that with every driver I've played the last couple of years I guarantee would have been a snap hook in to the Creek on this hole. This one had a little draw but stayed out of trouble. It was still a terrible shot and didn't go very far but man it was nice not having that penalty stroke.

I also got a great chance to compare distance to my previous drivers. I've played this course hundreds of times and know what to expect and the LST was right up there distance wise with everything else I've gamed. On perfectly struck, absolutely smashed shots it may come up a little shorter but overall it hangs in with everything else in my experience.

i'm right there with you. i'd rather sacrifice a few yards on my best strikes to stay in play and not terribly short on my misses.

Getting adjusted back on my swing and trying to top trying so hard off the tee. I had my Riptide CB trimmed 1/2" and it feels so much better now. It was hitting high bombs but looked like it was still getting decent rollout so I don't think it's going too high with the beat up range balls. Went back to the flat setting with the weight still in the center and they were going pretty straight. Drawing just a hair too much in the standard setting. I feel like I'm starting to get back in rhythm from using my orange whip more frequently recently and adding the superspeed training in the week.

In the 2 rounds I've played so far this spring my ball striking off the tee has been crap but I'm still in the fairway or just off of it on mishits. It definitely seems to be helping me keep the ball in play.

Reactions: KEV
Picked up a 425 max with the tour 65 shaft. It blows my mind as to how different this driver sounds to me hitting it and hearing someone else it it. When I hit it the sounds is not bad at all, I actually do not mind it one bit. When my friend it, I thought we were at the batting cages and he was using a aluminum bat. Overall it is was better then the epic flash and not as dead sounding as the mavrik. I am shocked at how forgiving the driver is. I can miss the center and it still goes and doe not gear off the planet. I am playing a 9 degree with the hosel in the big minus setting and weight in the heel as per my fitting. It has helped me not have to hold my hands off to just not hook the ball of the planet, which is why the Mavrik is not in the bag anymore. Overall only 1 round in and 1 range session in but overall happy. First round out and no range time with it before the round I hit 80% of FIR so that is nice.

Picked up a 425 max with the tour 65 shaft. It blows my mind as to how different this driver sounds to me hitting it and hearing someone else it it. When I hit it the sounds is not bad at all, I actually do not mind it one bit. When my friend it, I thought we were at the batting cages and he was using a aluminum bat. Overall it is was better then the epic flash and not as dead sounding as the mavrik. I am shocked at how forgiving the driver is. I can miss the center and it still goes and doe not gear off the planet. I am playing a 9 degree with the hosel in the big minus setting and weight in the heel as per my fitting. It has helped me not have to hold my hands off to just not hook the ball of the planet, which is why the Mavrik is not in the bag anymore. Overall only 1 round in and 1 range session in but overall happy. First round out and no range time with it before the round I hit 80% of FIR so that is nice.

Maybe the Mavrik hooks for you... but no, no, no for others. Also, the feel of the Mavrik is soft - peeps usually enjoy a soft feel in a club. Feels like you can just pound it. The same way with Epic Speed and Max. Pounders.

I hit the 425 outdoors and not much of a difference between it and the G400Max for me using the same shaft. The 425 has a higher piercing sound than the G400Max. Not terrible but not pleasing.

Ok it is official this thing is LOUD! I had my first almost put it back in the bag embarrassing moment today at the range. First hit out of the bag and I hear two different comments of wow and geez. My club head speed is not worthy of the "awe man he is killing the ball" level. So clearly this was a holy crap that is loud moment. Still got amazing results with ball flight and such, just got a touch self conscious.

FYI. I have the played the Tensei AV Raw 65x in my G425 for the last 14 rounds this season. Hitting it well and averaging about 279 off the tee. My miss has been left and have to slow down the swing to ensure that I don’t over cook it left. Played the last 2 rounds with a Hzrdus RDX Blue 6.0 S. If you struggle with a left miss, try this shaft. The tip is extremely stable and dispersion is awesome. Swing speed is 106 and last 2 rounds, not one shot left and distance is the exactly the same (according to Garmin app).

Played the Ping425 SFT outside for the first time last Friday. First drive about 5-10 yards further than normal. My playing partner, who is familiar with the sound criticism, told me right away that the sound wasn’t that unpleasant. That’s a ringing endorsement (no pun intended). But I wonder if anyone has noticed a difference between the SFT and MAX?

I had my first real test with the LST driver last weekend on my first tournament of the year. Overall it performed really well. I did hit two water balls left but they were straight pulls, no hook or draw movement on them. They were two holes with OB on the right and I mentally screwed myself worrying about it so it wasn't the club at all.

Overall I was 7/11 FIR on holes I hit driver on and for the season am around 65% FIR. Compared to my average of about 45% of fairways hit last year I'm pretty happy so far. Even my brother commented on how well I hit this. I was even keeping up with him distance wise which typically isn't the case.

I also used my 5 wood (lofted up 1*) a couple of times and loved how easy it was to hit. I did have one bad shot that I just gave up on and did a wimpy little push fade in to water. Outside of that I was seeing a very straight ball flight with nice height that would land softly on the green. The sound definitely isn't what I prefer but I can overlook that if it keeps performing.

I've got several rounds with the driver and I think my fairway woods sound a lot worse than the driver.
I'm absolutely enjoying the results. I'm hitting the most fairways I've hit in a while and the 3 wood is easy to hit both off the tee and fairway. The 5 wood lofted up to 19 has fit the gap perfectly between 3 wood and 4 iron for me. I know each person is different but I'm super happy with these clubs. I wish the max was smaller like the G400 but that's just an eye thing.

Are Alta shafts counterbalanced by an actual weight in the butt or is it simply due to the shaft construction?

I was curious and playing around tonight and tried using an online swingweight calculator to compare a few different shafts I have and this is what I came up with.

stock Alta R shaft - C5
PX evenflow black 65 5.5 -1/2” - D3
PX evenflow riptide CB 60 5.5 -3/4” - D3
UST Helium Black 5f3 -1 1/4” - D1

the head weight is within stock spec but the Alta is the longest and lightest shaft with the highest balance point. I changed the grip and took the arccos off but I can’t figure out why it is reading so light compared to the aftermarket shafts I measured.

Changing that arccos out shortened the shaft by 1/4” I think. I’ve bought extra weights to fool around with swing weight on my G400 MAX.

Back