Got this 425 on my CC driver fitting tomorrow for sure to go up against my G400 MAX that just goes for me. Every once in a while I blow it out left with a big push slice but it's a great driver.

I gave the CB Alta in driver, 3 wood and hybrid. Interestingly, when I regripped, the driver has a weight plug, the fairway and hybrid did not.

I spent some time with the G425 driver today. I was taking my 8.5* G400 LST to have it sent to Ping to get the tungsten weight that fell out replaced.

After hearing about the forgiveness of the G425 Max, I wanted to hit that.

So, I'm given a 10.5* G425 with the Rogue shaft. I was hitting it well. It seemed so forgiving. I go back in and realize I had been given the LST. I think she figured since my G400 was an LST, that's what made sense to give me. I also tried some combinations of the Max, LST, 9*, 10.5*, Tour shaft...

I'm gaming my 8.5* G400 LST and can't quite get myself to make the move to the 425 right now.

Hit the MAX and the LST driver this evening. The sound on the Max was... something. Performance for both was pretty good but ended up going another way this time. As a former G400 Max owner, I don't know that I'd make the change for this years model. Solid offering but not enough there for me specifically. Will say that I didn't hate the Alta CB either.

I think I'm the minority here, but I kind of miss the dragonfly pattern on the crown.

Slightly pondering the 425 LST at 10.5*

Has anyone transitioned from the 400 to 425 in any of the models and missed the 400?'

About the sound...

Wouldn't you think Ping knew about the sound at release? Wouldn't they have done testing and realized that was going to be a factor? My guesses would be that they believed in the performance and didn't care or... the sound is actually intentional and meant to stand out? If they wanted the sound more muted, I would think their engineering could have possibly achieved that, no?

About the sound...

Wouldn't you think Ping knew about the sound at release? Wouldn't they have done testing and realized that was going to be a factor? My guesses would be that they believed in the performance and didn't care or... the sound is actually intentional and meant to stand out? If they wanted the sound more muted, I would think their engineering could have possibly achieved that, no?
I agree that there's no way they didn't know about the sound. I know some people don't mind it but personally I just don't understand why you would release a club that sounds like that.

I had read a lot about the sound of the club and tbh thought that everyone was overreacting.
I went to buy one from my golf club pro shop and they let me take the 425 max demo club out for a round.
After my first shot I thought that I could not play with the club. It sounded like two blocks of wood hit together.
If I had bought the club 2nd hand I would have been convinced that the club was a fake.
As the round went on the sound bothered me less and in the end I ordered a 425 sft.
It wouldn’t surprise me to see ping release an updated model in the very near future though as i can see the sound hitting sales.

Reactions: KEV
I am starting to think the sound is kind of a age thing. I played with a group that has a older guy a guy in his mid 20's and a early 20's guys. The two younger guys liked to sound of it. 2nd tee box and one said without prompt. " that sounds good. Like you murdered the ball"

About the sound...

i guess my response would be the 400 max didn't sound great, and people loved that driver. so maybe ping figured if people didn't care about the 400 max sound, they won't care about the 425 max sound?

I didn't even notice the 425 sound in my fitting Monday, and I have the G400 MAX now. I did notice the spin, couldn't get it down enough so went in another direction.

i guess my response would be the 400 max didn't sound great, and people loved that driver. so maybe ping figured if people didn't care about the 400 max sound, they won't care about the 425 max sound?

I didn't have a G400 max to compare it to, but the sound compared to some other manufacturer's options was a little jarring. I'm sure it plays better outside, and I'm not one who usually cares, but I'd have to think about it before buying this version. Results weren't there for me so it's a non-issue. If it were the top performer though, I'd probably still game it, but I'd be looking for some hot melt or something.

I didn't have a G400 max to compare it to, but the sound compared to some other manufacturer's options was a little jarring. I'm sure it plays better outside, and I'm not one who usually cares, but I'd have to think about it before buying this version. Results weren't there for me so it's a non-issue. If it were the top performer though, I'd probably still game it, but I'd be looking for some hot melt or something.

you're certainly not alone in feeling that way. you're probably in the majority, tbh. i tested the 425 max against the epic max, and honestly i didn't hate the 425 max sound. probably says more about me than the club though lol. epic max was a much better performer in every metric i care about, so that's the direction i went and i'm thrilled with my decision.

To my gentle ears...

G400 has the better sound - that is a nice driver
G400 Max is louder
G425 Max - higher piercing sound

I don't know about LST or SFT versions.

To my gentle ears...

G400 has the better sound - that is a nice driver
G400 Max is louder
G425 Max - higher piercing sound

I don't know about LST or SFT versions.

As for Ping drivers & FW's.... a number of years ago, I used to play a Ping G10, and liked it. Currently have a G425 3-wood in the bag.... Both are/were definitely different from most other drivers and FW's in sound, compared to most that i've hit (Pings generally being higher pitched)... Doesn't really bother me, but definitely different.

Last edited:
As for Ping drivers & FW's.... a number of years ago, I used to play a Ping G10, and liked it. Currently have a 4G25 3-wood in the bag.... Both are/were definitely different from most other drivers and FW's in sound, compared to most that i've hit (Pings generally being higher pitched)... Doesn't really bother me, but definitely different.

May be time for new Ping Fairways/Hybrids - word on the street is they are much improved - changed the design of the face and appearance, etc.

I dislike the sound of my G425 Max driver even with 3 grams of hot melt but it's as long as my G410 LST (if not longer) and quite a bit more forgiving so it's hard not to have it in the bag. Verdict is not out yet so will play it for a few more rounds before deciding.

So far the G425 Fairways and the hybrids are the star of the show. Near perfect for my needs. Don’t mind the sound of the SFT driver either. To my ear it was slightly better sounding than the Max.

I watched a guy get fit for a G425 Max driver the other day.
The distance consistency was seriously impressive.
He gained almost 20 yards and had a + 3 yard of vertical dispersion.

Yes, this was the guy's first fitting ever but I was shocked with the consistency it was giving him on some very inconsistent swings.

May be time for new Ping Fairways/Hybrids - word on the street is they are much improved - changed the design of the face and appearance, etc.

I hit the G425 max 5w, max 7w and Sft 5w today. For me the 5w sft turned down to 18* and the flat setting took it from a hard draw to baby draw or straight ball. Serious ponder on it. It’s got the larger pancake head but I’ve always liked that look. The max has a nice shape. And the 3 dots on top are subtle. Noting garish on top.

But both on the shallower side if that matters.

I hit the G425 max 5w, max 7w and Sft 5w today. For me the 5w sft turned down to 18* and the flat setting took it from a hard draw to baby draw or straight ball. Serious ponder on it. It’s got the larger pancake head but I’ve always liked that look. The max has a nice shape. And the 3 dots on top are subtle. Noting garish on top.

But both on the shallower side if that matters.

Personally, the 425 Hy is a ponder sooner or later. But the Mizuno Fwy comes with a great shaft and a great choice of shafts, and is tough to beat.

Last edited:
What in the world is behind that strategy? I guess I can see the Japan reasoning since that seems relatively common with other brands but Australia?
Because Australia is in / asia and and is a golf loving country also ....

Because Australia is in / asia and and is a golf loving country also ....

so is the usa. why not release it everywhere? what is the motivation to release it somewhere first, and basically bust your own embargo?

Reactions: KEV
so is the usa. why not release it everywhere? what is the motivation to release it somewhere first, and basically bust your own embargo?
Embargo on what ?? And Australia generally follows on world realise stuff many others get earlier release ...supply chains and demand on fulfill orders may have something to do with it ....

Embargo on what ?? And Australia generally follows on world realise stuff many others get earlier release ...supply chains and demand on fulfill orders may have something to do with it ....

embargo on releasing information to the western market. media outlets aren't allowed to discuss a product, post pictures, etc until the embargo date. and yet the eastern markets basically already had the info. it made the whole release fall somewhat flat, whereas other companies that (i assume) utilize a more globally coordinated release drop with a ton of hype and fanfare. srixon did it this year as well iirc. i'm not saying it's not a good product, it just lessens the effect (for me) of a release date when it's, well, already been released lol

Back