PING Glide Wedges - THP Review Thread

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
  • Staff
In for review from HQ are PING's new Glide wedges with Gorge Grooves and their three different sole types. Some solid buzz has been building up on these so it will be fun to put them through their paces. PING sent in all three soles (WS, TS, and SS) for in the 58* loft which will be great for comparing the effectiveness of each sole from a variety of lies and situations. Additionally, PING has gone to a new grip they call the "Dyla-Wedge Grip" which is 3/4" longer which features less taper and markings at intervals to aid in choking down the club the same every time, not a new thing in golf, but an interesting addition for PING.

Its definitely a departure in looks for a PING wedge too, much more tame than we've seen. Will be fun to put them to work.

From PING on the Glide Wedges:

In a first-ever approach, PING custom-engineered the Glide wedges from the hands down (grip to sole) with a wedge-exclusive grip, shaft and heads for maximizing spin and control to improve short-game performance. Available in three versatile sole designs with added bounce and loft-optimized Gorge grooves, the Glide wedges are PING's most versatile and consistent wedge line ever.

The proprietary Dyla-wedge grip is 3/4 of an inch longer to facilitate gripping down to produce a lower trajectory. Grip-down markings at 1 3/8-inch intervals guide hand placement, and a softer tapering profile improves feel when utilizing the lower grip-down markings. The 118g CFS Wedge shaft is optimized in weight, flex and balance to promote a lower launch angle with enhanced control, feel and stability.

Loft-optimized Gorge grooves feature varied radius and sidewall angles to ensure tighter spin for consistent, reliable results. A 16° sidewall in lofts 47 through 54 maximizes groove volume to enhance performance on full shots. A 24° sidewall and tighter radius in lofts 56 through 60 helps compress and "grab" the ball to optimize spin on short pitches and chips.

Heads are available in standard sole (SS), thin sole (TS) and wide sole (WS), enabling you to be fit according to your attack angle and most-common turf conditions. SS fits moderate attack angles and divots; TS is suited for a shallow attack angle and shallow divots; and the WS is best for steep angles of attack and deep divots. When properly fit, you will feel the sensation of the club gliding through the sand or grass.

Chrome plating gives the 431 stainless steel head a moisture-repelling finish, which creates more friction for improved spin and consistency in wet conditions and lies in the rough. 431 SS also helps soften the feel.

Specifications:

In-Hand Images:

TexasHacker34

Callaway Homer
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
PING Glide Wedges - THP Review Thread

Very interested in this. Especially how you get along with the WS. Steep swing and big divots are my speciality unfortunately.

dciccoritti

Reaction score
Handicap
Bogey Golf
They look fantastic. Can't wait to see how they feel.

fairband

#THPLegacy
Reaction score
Handicap
I love that they sent all three sole designs for you to review.

Rambler

Reaction score
Handicap
9.9, so 10
Looking forward to this. Really like that you'll be able to compare the different sole designs.

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Will be interested in hearing your thoughts James, but aesthetically these just don't do it for me.

adwillingham

2-Time HOFer
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I can't wait to hear your thoughts James. These looked really nice to me in hand when I saw them.

crazygolfnut

Lets's have fun out there!
Reaction score
Handicap
10 - 13
I saw them in the golf shop but have not hit them yet. Looking forward to hearing about some on course results.

Jeff Spicoli

I used to be good at golf
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
History
I'm really intrigued by these. They look great and I like the sole options.

BigTex

Reaction score
Handicap
Wow, great timing! Just got back from PGA and these while I was there. Trying to look at all my wedge options and these are definitely on the list.

Tadashi70

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Its been a while since I liked a Ping wedge and these I like. Good lines and finish, please tell me I'll be able to hit in Dallas

BigTex

Reaction score
Handicap
Its been a while since I liked a Ping wedge and these I like. Good lines and finish, please tell me I'll be able to hit in Dallas
Worst case I can get a demo from PGA you can try. Just let me know and I will go by and get it when you are here next weekend.

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
One thing I have learned about some Ping clubs lately is even if they look boring you still need to hit them because they can surprise you.
Should be a good review.

Jman

Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
They will be in the bag for sure brother.

cbaker2882

Living the quarantine dream
Reaction score
Handicap
Jman, you always have the most insane set of pictures. Thank you for your hard work with that!

These wedges look so clean. SO clean. I love the simplicity on them. I could game these in a second as long as they perform for me.

Parshooter36

Reaction score
Handicap
Great pics James! I look forward to your thoughts, I know you have been very anxious to get your hands on these.

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
Do these also have ctp or elastomer built into the head?

P.J.

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes they do. Bigger than the gorge. They feel so soft. I've got a 50, 54 and 58 on the way. The last 2 have a lob combo grind. We'll see how I like the special grinds

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
I have a 54 in the bag now and will be adding a couple more. Look forward to your take Jman.

golfdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
they look great from head to toe

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
Yes they do. Bigger than the gorge. They feel so soft. I've got a 50, 54 and 58 on the way. The last 2 have a lob combo grind. We'll see how I like the special grinds

Well then as ugly as these are it should make the review a little more interesting.

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Handicap
The proprietary Dyla-wedge grip is 3/4 of an inch longer to facilitate gripping down to produce a lower trajectory. Grip-down markings at 1 3/8-inch intervals guide hand placement, and a softer tapering profile improves feel when utilizing the lower grip-down markings. The 118g CFS Wedge shaft is optimized in weight, flex and balance to promote a lower launch angle with enhanced control, feel and stability.
I miss Lamkin's Performance Plus wedge grip.

Jman

Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The "bar" seen in the rear of the club is the CTP, combined with moving to a "softer" metal, PING is putting a lot into the feel they produce at impact. The CTP works, that much we know, it was brilliant in the i-Series irons for feel.

Well then as ugly as these are it should make the review a little more interesting.
Eye of the beholder.

It is interesting though, they put out the Tour wedges and people say they're too busy, with these they're too plain, goes to show you'll never please everyone.

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
Great pics James, "decent" looking IMO, but looking forward to your thoughts on these as you game them.

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
The "bar" seen in the rear of the club is the CTP, combined with moving to a "softer" metal, PING is putting a lot into the feel they produce at impact. The CTP works, that much we know, it was brilliant in the i-Series irons for feel.

Eye of the beholder.

It is interesting though, they put out the Tour wedges and people say they're too busy, with these they're too plain, goes to show you'll never please everyone.
no doubt about eye of the beholder, I liked the looks of the tour wedge. Ugly is probably strong I should have said bland and uninteresting. I said in an earlier post that you have to hit the Ping clubs to truly appreciate them. I think these sound really interesting and glad you have all three soles, I think they are going to be great performers.

Last edited:

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in