PING Glide Wedges - THP Review Thread

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review from HQ are PING's new Glide wedges with Gorge Grooves and their three different sole types. Some solid buzz has been building up on these so it will be fun to put them through their paces. PING sent in all three soles (WS, TS, and SS) for in the 58* loft which will be great for comparing the effectiveness of each sole from a variety of lies and situations. Additionally, PING has gone to a new grip they call the "Dyla-Wedge Grip" which is 3/4" longer which features less taper and markings at intervals to aid in choking down the club the same every time, not a new thing in golf, but an interesting addition for PING.

Its definitely a departure in looks for a PING wedge too, much more tame than we've seen. Will be fun to put them to work.

From PING on the Glide Wedges:

In a first-ever approach, PING custom-engineered the Glide wedges from the hands down (grip to sole) with a wedge-exclusive grip, shaft and heads for maximizing spin and control to improve short-game performance. Available in three versatile sole designs with added bounce and loft-optimized Gorge grooves, the Glide wedges are PING's most versatile and consistent wedge line ever.

The proprietary Dyla-wedge grip is 3/4 of an inch longer to facilitate gripping down to produce a lower trajectory. Grip-down markings at 1 3/8-inch intervals guide hand placement, and a softer tapering profile improves feel when utilizing the lower grip-down markings. The 118g CFS Wedge shaft is optimized in weight, flex and balance to promote a lower launch angle with enhanced control, feel and stability.

4-XL.png

Loft-optimized Gorge grooves feature varied radius and sidewall angles to ensure tighter spin for consistent, reliable results. A 16° sidewall in lofts 47 through 54 maximizes groove volume to enhance performance on full shots. A 24° sidewall and tighter radius in lofts 56 through 60 helps compress and "grab" the ball to optimize spin on short pitches and chips.

3-XL.png

2-XL.png

Heads are available in standard sole (SS), thin sole (TS) and wide sole (WS), enabling you to be fit according to your attack angle and most-common turf conditions. SS fits moderate attack angles and divots; TS is suited for a shallow attack angle and shallow divots; and the WS is best for steep angles of attack and deep divots. When properly fit, you will feel the sensation of the club gliding through the sand or grass.

1-XL.png

Chrome plating gives the 431 stainless steel head a moisture-repelling finish, which creates more friction for improved spin and consistency in wet conditions and lies in the rough. 431 SS also helps soften the feel.

Specifications:
5-XL.png

In-Hand Images:
DSC_0838-XL.jpg

DSC_0840-XL.jpg

DSC_0848-XL.jpg

DSC_0850-XL.jpg

DSC_0874-XL.jpg

DSC_0875-XL.jpg

DSC_0865-XL.jpg

DSC_0854-XL.jpg

DSC_0856-XL.jpg

DSC_0871-XL.jpg

DSC_0867-XL.jpg

DSC_0869-XL.jpg

DSC_0870-XL.jpg

DSC_0872-XL.jpg

DSC_0873-XL.jpg

DSC_0847-XL.jpg

DSC_0844-XL.jpg

DSC_0845-XL.jpg

DSC_0846-XL.jpg

DSC_0851-XL.jpg

DSC_0852-XL.jpg

DSC_0860-XL.jpg

DSC_0857-XL.jpg

DSC_0858-XL.jpg

DSC_0859-XL.jpg

DSC_0862-XL.jpg

DSC_0842-XL.jpg

DSC_0843-XL.jpg

DSC_0841-XL.jpg

PING Glide Wedges - THP Review Thread

Very interested in this. Especially how you get along with the WS. Steep swing and big divots are my speciality unfortunately.

They look fantastic. Can't wait to see how they feel.

I love that they sent all three sole designs for you to review.

Looking forward to this. Really like that you'll be able to compare the different sole designs.

Will be interested in hearing your thoughts James, but aesthetically these just don't do it for me.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts James. These looked really nice to me in hand when I saw them.

I saw them in the golf shop but have not hit them yet. Looking forward to hearing about some on course results.

I'm really intrigued by these. They look great and I like the sole options.

Wow, great timing! Just got back from PGA and these while I was there. Trying to look at all my wedge options and these are definitely on the list.

Its been a while since I liked a Ping wedge and these I like. Good lines and finish, please tell me I'll be able to hit in Dallas

Its been a while since I liked a Ping wedge and these I like. Good lines and finish, please tell me I'll be able to hit in Dallas
Worst case I can get a demo from PGA you can try. Just let me know and I will go by and get it when you are here next weekend.

One thing I have learned about some Ping clubs lately is even if they look boring you still need to hit them because they can surprise you.
Should be a good review.

They will be in the bag for sure brother.

Jman, you always have the most insane set of pictures. Thank you for your hard work with that!

These wedges look so clean. SO clean. I love the simplicity on them. I could game these in a second as long as they perform for me.

Great pics James! I look forward to your thoughts, I know you have been very anxious to get your hands on these.

Do these also have ctp or elastomer built into the head?

Yes they do. Bigger than the gorge. They feel so soft. I've got a 50, 54 and 58 on the way. The last 2 have a lob combo grind. We'll see how I like the special grinds

I have a 54 in the bag now and will be adding a couple more. Look forward to your take Jman.

they look great from head to toe

Yes they do. Bigger than the gorge. They feel so soft. I've got a 50, 54 and 58 on the way. The last 2 have a lob combo grind. We'll see how I like the special grinds

Well then as ugly as these are it should make the review a little more interesting.

The proprietary Dyla-wedge grip is 3/4 of an inch longer to facilitate gripping down to produce a lower trajectory. Grip-down markings at 1 3/8-inch intervals guide hand placement, and a softer tapering profile improves feel when utilizing the lower grip-down markings. The 118g CFS Wedge shaft is optimized in weight, flex and balance to promote a lower launch angle with enhanced control, feel and stability.
I miss Lamkin's Performance Plus wedge grip.

The "bar" seen in the rear of the club is the CTP, combined with moving to a "softer" metal, PING is putting a lot into the feel they produce at impact. The CTP works, that much we know, it was brilliant in the i-Series irons for feel.

Well then as ugly as these are it should make the review a little more interesting.

Eye of the beholder.

It is interesting though, they put out the Tour wedges and people say they're too busy, with these they're too plain, goes to show you'll never please everyone.

Great pics James, "decent" looking IMO, but looking forward to your thoughts on these as you game them.

The "bar" seen in the rear of the club is the CTP, combined with moving to a "softer" metal, PING is putting a lot into the feel they produce at impact. The CTP works, that much we know, it was brilliant in the i-Series irons for feel.

Eye of the beholder.

It is interesting though, they put out the Tour wedges and people say they're too busy, with these they're too plain, goes to show you'll never please everyone.

no doubt about eye of the beholder, I liked the looks of the tour wedge. Ugly is probably strong I should have said bland and uninteresting. I said in an earlier post that you have to hit the Ping clubs to truly appreciate them. I think these sound really interesting and glad you have all three soles, I think they are going to be great performers.

Last edited:
Back