Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has sent out 3 Ping i20 iron sets to the forum testers that were selected after signup and they will be providing feedback in this thread. Feel free to join in the conversation with your own reviews as well as ask questions to those that are doing the hard work of testing these out.

Lets keep this thread clear until the guys start getting their clubs in and posting initial thoughts. Thanks.

OK, sooooooooo....in the midst of contacting GG to giver her an alternate address so the i20's wouldn't be sitting on the porch alone for a few days when I leave I was actually pleasantly shocked when she let me know PING not only gave her a tracking number but they were already out for delivery yesterday! (Cue jumping up and down like a little girl #1, more on that later though).

That said, BIG thank you again to PING and THP for this opportunity, its not one I take lightly I can promise you that!!!

Now the unboxing videos....right after a couple housekeeping things here...

1) Wait you mean we finally get to see/hear Jman? Yessiree.

2) Is there any jumping up and down for joy? That was left on the cutting room floor.

3) Apologies for the novice camerawork! It will get better over time (please don't tease too much! lol).

4) Apologies for the Tour Links not being de-pugified (hair) for the videos LOL

That said....

Video 1:

Video 2:

These took all night to upload on my cruddy connection, that said there are LOTS of pics and initial thoughts coming up when I get all of the pic's uploaded at work. I'll also be getting these bad-boys out already today!

Another HUGE thank you to PING and THP!

Great unboxing video JMan, and yes, the putters certainly confirmed that you are indeed JMan. lol

Congrats Jman,,,cant wiat to see the pics unfotuantely cant see the vids here at work, and also read your review....good luck and have a blast with them

Nice videos Jman thanks for doing them. I like the thoughts on keeping the shafts a constant in your testing. I do like the CSF shaft but I think your shaft choice is smart based on in being a known commodity. Interesting set make up too. I'll be curious to see how you feel about having all those matching wedges in your set. And that 4 iron sure looked like it means business. LOL @ "the putters"

Absolutely fantastic unboxing video. I am incredibly excited for you and for your thoughts, as you have already put in some awesome work with your set with the WRX department.

This being said, I wanted to see you jump up and down like a schoolgirl. :alien:

Jman - OUTSTANDING initial thoughts man. I really appreciate how you explained why you selected the shafts you did and then the differences in some of the options you chose to test.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on these over the long haul, glad to hear your getting started today!! Very well done my friend.

Well done Jman, well done!

Great vids Jman. Love that you went into so much detail about the Ping WRX department, didn't know that much detail about them. Awesome that they allow you to mix shafts & grinds in your wedges too. Cant wait to follow along with this testing thread.

Thanks for the shootout to the Ping 2012 Bag Forum Testing too.

I want to say +1 on the other comments here! Great unboxing vids and thoughts. They look pretty neat! Looking forward to hear your thoughts about the shafts :)

That right there was one of the most complete intro to testing and unboxing videos I have seen during my time on THP. Excellent work Jman. I will be looking forward to reading a few of your post in the coming months. Thanks for sharing!

Great way to kick this off Jman. I love the set-up and I am really looking forward to hearing about how the wedges work for you.

Great video man. I like those sand paper grips!

Excellent video, JMan. Thanks for sharing all the info related to the Ping customization, absolutely amazing what they were able to get done for you!

Great vids there Jman! I really like how you set up your set and looking forward to hearing how they all work out for you.

Wow, great unboxing Jman. I personally love all the detail. Boy, those C-Tapers look awesome in those irons. Loving the custom sole grinds on all the wedges too. Ping's WRX obviously rocks!

Great videos Jman! I love how PING is going all out and getting everything out to the testers to their exact specs and preferences.

wow Jman what a great unboxing video very informative already!! i had no idea ping WRX could do so many custom options especially the grinds. very cool to know.

Can't view the video just yet but looking forward to your thoughts JMan and testers. Extremely jealous :)

Way to get things kicked off Jman!

I was teasing Jman as I thought the grinds would delay the start of his testing and here he is 1st out of the gate. Says a lot about Ping and their ability to turn over a custom order.

Beautiful sticks.

Excellent unboxing video and you certainly put a LOT of thought and analysis into your club selection and makeup. Have fun with the testing and we're all looking forward to sharing your experiences with the i20 irons.

Huge thanks to THP and Ping for letting GoalieDave, Jman, and myself test these irons. I'm truly humbled by this opportunity. I know the guys feel the same. We're not taking this lightly because as Jman said in his vid this is the 1st time Ping has done a club forum test. For someone who has been a fan of Ping since the 80s you can imagine how much this means to me. That said, if they're no good for me I will be honest.

My irons haven't arrived yet so I thought I'd take the time to post a few non club related thoughts. When I was doing my turbo fitting for these I ran across some pretty cool resources from Ping. First off is this:

6829992648_1a67132926_z.jpg

http://www.ping.com/uploadedFiles/custom_fitting/performancescoresheet.pdf

At first I blew it off as I knew it wouldn't help me right then and there. A few days passed and I started to look at the sheet more and decided it would be pretty cool to use this for testing. Each "formal" testing round I shoot I will be using this sheet so everyone can see the results and the testing is more transparent.

2nd is this PDF from Ping:

http://www.ping.com/uploadedFiles/custom_fitting/fittingquestionnaire.pdf

If you are considering Ping I'd print that off and take it to your fitter. If you don't have a fitter (don't worry, I don't either) the form is still useful. Answering those questions could really help you decide exactly what it is you are looking for in your next set of clubs.

Also ordered up some impact stickers. These are more for me. They won't be on all the time, but when they are it will help me describe how a shot performs and feels based on where I made contact.

6981965297_901c751b2e.jpg

Thought about waiting to post this up. Decided to go ahead and do it because once the hardware is in hand things just take off and all the pretest plans seem to go up in smoke. Going to break it off here before I start in on details, want the clubs for that.

Great unboxing video Jman! I hope mine will be as good as yours. My set is scheduled to be delivered Friday. I have a fun tournament Saturday and a THP get together Sunday. I think I am going to print out some of those performance cards Griff found.

Great unboxing video Jman! I hope mine will be as good as yours. My set is scheduled to be delivered Friday. I have a fun tournament Saturday and a THP get together Sunday. I think I am going to print out some of those performance cards Griff found.

Going to be some grateful THPers on Sunday, GD! I don't have an ETA on the irons so I'll sit back and enjoy until mine arrive.

Great unboxing, Jman. I have been waiting for this thread to start ever since the announcement was made. The i20's are definitely on my radar and it's going to be great to get good, honest feedback from you folks. Reading this thread will be the next best thing to being chosen to test.

Back