Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I want to hit them, but I scared I will fall in love. I already love the i20s, but don't want to pay for them. The Ansers are even more expensive.
Yeah then dont hit the Anser irons then, crazy stupid expensive. And they felt pretty damn good too.

Yeah then dont hit the Anser irons then, crazy stupid expensive. And they felt pretty damn good too.

I look nice too. It is going to be hard not to hit them.

I want to hit them, but I scared I will fall in love. I already love the i20s, but don't want to pay for them. The Ansers are even more expensive.

I've hit the Ansers and I also have i20 which I love. My advice to you is DO NOT hit the Ansers, you will regret it later.

Dont say that, then I will have buyers remorse again!

Dont say that, then I will have buyers remorse again!

Eh, everyone's different, don't worry about it you'll love the i20's. I hit them a week ago and thought they weren't any different from my i20's. I'm not a guy that buys in to the forged thing though.

I just dont like the waiting part of something to show up. I'm one of those people that if I spend the money now then I want the product now. I have only hit the 9I in the i20's and that carried about 155-160 so I cant wait to feel the rest of the clubs. I did order them 1.75 up cause I have noticed that I dig the toe alot with the g20's.

I just dont like the waiting part of something to show up. I'm one of those people that if I spend the money now then I want the product now. I have only hit the 9I in the i20's and that carried about 155-160 so I cant wait to feel the rest of the clubs. I did order them 1.75 up cause I have noticed that I dig the toe alot with the g20's.

I hear ya, waiting SUCKS. It does say something about the irons though that there is still a wait for these. It'll suck now, but I think it'll be well worth the wait later.

One of these days I hope I will selected to test some equipment on here, I get to play all year long with 4 different courses within 10 mins from my house here on base,

One of these days I hope I will selected to test some equipment on here, I get to play all year long with 4 different courses within 10 mins from my house here on base,

Stay active and contribute to the site and your time will come dude.

Stay active and contribute to the site and your time will come dude.

What Jman said. Enjoy the i20's when they come.

Got out to the range for the first time in a little bit today. Man did I enjoy hitting the i20's this evening. You just can't ask for anything else out of an iron unless you're into that whole butter knife thin topline thing.

Driving for show and chutting for dough

These fit the bill of "ideal" irons for me. My problem has always been, what I want in the looks department never matched my skill level.

I want the thinnest toplined, most compact head I can find, yet an iron that is still very forgiving and I can play as a 12HC. My MX200/MX300 were close. I hit them just fine but they were a little chunkier than I'd prefer. The i20s fit the bill!

Finally picked up some Ping irons....but I didn't get i20s... After months of watching them on ebay and a failed experiment with Burner 2.0s I grabbed a set of i15 3-UW. The i20 was going to be at least ~$65/club, got the i15 for $38/club. I'm a tinkerer and getting into clubmaking so if the AWT shafts aren't great (worked fine on a launch monitor) I'll just pick up a set of CFS pulls for cheap and sell the AWT. I'm going to take them apart this winter anyway to spine align and FLO whatever shafts go back in. I also have a serious jones to try the Aerotech Steelfiber shafts, and if I end up wanting something like that I couldn't put all my money into the initial purchase. Gonna buy one Steelfiber and put it in some testing clubs I have (8 identical component heads, have differing shafts in 4 of them right now) so I can assess it against some others.

Seems as Improve my swing, I could benefit from x-stiff irons. Gaming CFS stiff, and they were fitted at the time. Now getting many high ball flights. Have a vector x and tested average 8 iron 97mph, which is faster, gaining height but no distance. Also going left on shots that feel pure. Thoughts?
Wonder if its cheeper to sell and reorder or just reshaft.

Gone from handsy to pivot driven, love the results. But may need shaft change now. Already gaming project x 6.5 in driver and love it .
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

These fit the bill of "ideal" irons for me. My problem has always been, what I want in the looks department never matched my skill level.

I want the thinnest toplined, most compact head I can find, yet an iron that is still very forgiving and I can play as a 12HC. My MX200/MX300 were close. I hit them just fine but they were a little chunkier than I'd prefer. The i20s fit the bill!

I know what you mean. They're the best combination of forgiveness, compact shape and feel that I found.

Make sure you get the swingweight right. I called PING and they want $35/club to change out the CTP's!

Seems as Improve my swing, I could benefit from x-stiff irons. Gaming CFS stiff, and they were fitted at the time. Now getting many high ball flights. Have a vector x and tested average 8 iron 97mph, which is faster, gaining height but no distance. Also going left on shots that feel pure. Thoughts?
Wonder if its cheeper to sell and reorder or just reshaft.

Gone from handsy to pivot driven, love the results. But may need shaft change now. Already gaming project x 6.5 in driver and love it .

Yeah, I'm not sure that CFS stiff can handle 97mph 8 iron. Wow.

Anyone gaming CFS X have any thoughts on them

Picked up an Ogio Chamber bag last night. Wow! I thought my Pioneer bag was all that and a bag of chips! This bag is awesome! Perfect for my baby's to sit secure in.

But back to the i20 topic, I finally am starting to hit these irons well. Shot my lowest round today at a 78! I feel bad I started to dis them when I first got them. Apologies to everyone! But I am having the same problem with the CFS shafts. The better I hit these, the higher they go. And I tend to be a low ball hitter. I'm pondering some Project X Flighted 6.5's? I don't dare just re-shaft the whole set without testing some. Ideally, I hope to find some pulls to put in the 4,7, and 9 irons to test the ball flight and stiffness. If anyone has some pulls, let me know please.

Yeah, I'm not sure that CFS stiff can handle 97mph 8 iron. Wow.

Well I was going at it on the test run to see how distance would be affected if a really pushed the pivot power.
Working today with the vector X and getting better results right now just taking it easy and hovering around 89mph the distances were much more consistent. Not having the huge pop up while going easier, but feel like there is allot left in the tank and may need to test with Xflex. Wierd how using less arms and more rotational power have really allowed me to throw some speed in that I never had before.

Edit:

Here is a sample of what I mean, this shot was pure, Square, center line, smooth swing 93mph look how it just pops up on the profile (the bottom half is the vertical profile)

8061493263_7f4587a603.jpg

Last edited:
Well I was going at it on the test run to see how distance would be affected if a really pushed the pivot power.
Working today with the vector X and getting better results right now just taking it easy and hovering around 89mph the distances were much more consistent. Not having the huge pop up while going easier, but feel like there is allot left in the tank and may need to test with Xflex. Wierd how using less arms and more rotational power have really allowed me to throw some speed in that I never had before.

Edit:

Here is a sample of what I mean, this shot was pure, Square, center line, smooth swing 93mph look how it just pops up on the profile (the bottom half is the vertical profile)

8061493263_7f4587a603.jpg

What is that? 8 iron? And your getting what looks like 48-50 yards peak height?!?! I bet you could definitely add some distance with something a bit lower launching.

Anyone gaming CFS X have any thoughts on them

The CFS stiff is pretty much a Z-Z65 soft stepped twice. Both are constant weight shafts so if you like the CFS, but want a lower flight and slightly stiffer flex, you may want to try a demo with the Z-Z65 shaft to see if that works for you. This will be close to the CFS X flex and probably easier to find as pull outs.

If you can find an i20 with Z-Z65 shaft and compare it to your matching iron, you will see this in the added length of the hosel to the 1st step in the CFS shafted club. The Z-Z65 will also give you the closest match in overall weight while giving you a lower flight because of the higher kickpoint of the Z-Z65.

What is that? 8 iron? And your getting what looks like 48-50 yards peak height?!?! I bet you could definitely add some distance with something a bit lower launching.

Ordered a single shaft--KBS C-Taper stiff+ (based on fitting data) for the 8 iron to test out. Will update results

Give the nippon modus 3 iron shafts a try in XS. I have them on my I20

trying to decide on grips for the i20s. its down to pure pros in white, REL's in white or RELs in electric blue. your thoughts?

R.E.L. Electric Blue

That white is a $&@?! to clean. Actually, it never really fully does.

Back