Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Have I ever mentioned before that I love these irons? Had a rough night tonight but going to try to get some sleep and get in a round with the i20's and wedges only before I take off for my trip to Tennessee on Sunday.

Driving for show and chutting for dough

Enjoy Chattanooga!

Enjoy Chattanooga!

Thanks. Hope I will. Too bad I'm not going to have any time for golf while I'm there. I'm leaving the clubs back here this time. I took them with me last time I went to Tennessee and never got the chance to play so I figure what's the use.

Nice Jon, what were your previous spec's you were fit to?

Regular flex Traction 85s, up 2*, +1" (CG16s are long to begin with). I was flat out impressed when hitting these against the Mizzys. Probably half to a full club longer. The CFS shafts worked great for my swing too.

Regular flex Traction 85s, up 2*, +1" (CG16s are long to begin with). I was flat out impressed when hitting these against the Mizzys. Probably half to a full club longer. The CFS shafts worked great for my swing too.

Wow, half inch difference. Where did you do the fitting? 1757?

Vince, just saw the pic, those look great dude. I love these freaking grips.

I don't believe you have - at least for two pages :) Still have a clubcrush on these myself as I play around with the rest of the bag - even the 4i is staying in the bag - longest in years thanks to Jman's suggestion. Gonna be hard to kick these out when the new stuff comes out next year, that is for sure.

Have I ever mentioned before that I love these irons? Had a rough night tonight but going to try to get some sleep and get in a round with the i20's and wedges only before I take off for my trip to Tennessee on Sunday.

Yep. 1757. That's where I take my lessons and I wanted to make sure I was putting myself in the best setup to continue that work. Since the CG16s run long it was .75 per Roger. I was surprised to say the least. Im also considerably flatter at red for too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Vince, just saw the pic, those look great dude. I love these freaking grips.

Thanks dude, I messed one up. I push the grips on pretty far and let the slide back, well one must not of slid back so its a little off but O well.

Yep. 1757. That's where I take my lessons and I wanted to make sure I was putting myself in the best setup to continue that work. Since the CG16s run long it was .75 per Roger. I was surprised to say the least. Im also considerably flatter at red for too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

There good dudes, Is the Red dot 2*? Let us know once you play them. I should have something tomorrow evening after my round.

Gamed the i20's for the first time today, I did not have a chance to hit any range balls just strait to the tee box. 1st hole I had 169 to a back pin with about a 15mph wind blowing. My very first swing with the 6 iron and end up center green, very happy. 2nd hole I was 175 in the rough, 5 iron pushed right but great contact, hole high in rough. I can go on and on but for my first round with them and never hitting them except a demo iron I am very pleased. A lot higher ball flight than my CTapers but the stiff KBS give me more confidence than the CTapers. I did not have any fat shots which I am usually good for a few a round, everything was hit very well. Love the weight of these as well, the i20's just spit confidence for my game and I am very happy after round one. I am playing Stonewall Wednesday to put them thru round 2 and can't wait.

FINALLY!!!!!!!

Picked up i20s today and got the electric blue REL installed.

Can't hit them until tomorrow, but it will be so sweet to finally do so. First set I was fitted for and first set of new irons ever. I have tinkered with barely used stuff in the past, but I had to have these!

Thanks
Pics to come in a bit!

Red dot is actually .75* flat but he said that the .5" in length would make up for it. Awesome that they work so well for you. Can't wait to pick these up.

You know, I was cleaning my clubs a bit ago and it really hit me just how damn cool it is that this thread is STILL going and people are STILL buying in to these great clubs. I've said it before and will again, but as one of the testers for this one, its freaking tremendous to see it pop up all the time. I may tinker going from 23* hybo to 3i/4i form time to time, but from 5-PW these are going nowhere.

Unless I make the MC of course, but thats a completely different beast.

And finally some pics.

Attachments

• tapaupload0.jpg
    tapaupload0.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • tapaupload1.jpg
    tapaupload1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tapaupload2.jpg
    tapaupload2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
Congrats Minarets. I put these back in the bag for my range time

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Dang, pics come out weird thru tapatalk. I'll post better ones later

Agreed Jman. It is certainly a testament to what PING engineered into this sticks as well as to you testers who really kicked started this thread. This gets my vote for thread of the year.

These irons saved my butt today. For some reason I kept hitting balls out on the toe, but I was still squaring up the face and just losing some yards. Still hit 13/18 GIR and made 13 pars and 5 bogeys.

Ok, hopefully these pics work. If not, I quit the internet, well at least from mobile devices.

Attachments

• IMG-20121014-00031.jpg
    IMG-20121014-00031.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20121014-00032.jpg
    IMG-20121014-00032.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20121014-00033.jpg
    IMG-20121014-00033.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks

Ok, hopefully these pics work. If not, I quit the internet, well at least from mobile devices.

Looking good dude. I forgot just how awesome i20's look brand new. I think those grips are TC approved.

I am currently gaming the g-20's and I am not thrilled about the offset. I am about a 22 handicap. Do you think the I 20's
are something to consider. By the way I do like the stock shafts in the g 20's.

I am currently gaming the g-20's and I am not thrilled about the offset. I am about a 22 handicap. Do you think the I 20's
are something to consider. By the way I do like the stock shafts in the g 20's.

Unfortunately handicap rating does not really tell us the full story ( someone could hit irons farily well but have other areas adding strokes like short game or driver accuracy etc etc.), With technology today there are game improvement clubs (like the g20) that tend to help the higher handicap players with more forgiveness, easier to get the ball launched, etc, but there was a time when there was just a single style of club and everyone played it old timer or newby--my poin't being do not let marketing or or just the random crowd on the internet tell you what is right for your game--I would recommend at least going and hitting them next to your G20's with a good fitter. Will they improve your game? who knows, maybe they will give you a more confidence if you like the way they hit for your swing and play style. I would not rule them out just because of your handicap rating.

Right now I've been strugglling with my irons. I've been shanking a lot of shots with the g-20's. I have a backup set of mizuno jpx 800's and hit those better(also less offset). I think the g-20's have too much offset which makes me uncomfortable. I purchased them for those "off days" for extra help, but now I can't hit them to save my life. I might go today and try the I-20's since they don't have near the off set of the g-20's.

Back