Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

gday gentlemen ( and ladies )
in need of some educated direction or thoughts.
I picked up on ebay a set of i20 irons, yellow dot, same specs as my previously fitted g25's. ( 6 months ago ) and love the i20's.
The only difference was the g25's had regular flex cfs shafts, compared to the i20 that have stiff.
I love the i20's, but believe the reg flex shafts were better for me ( high teens handicap and in my 50's ).
To change to the regular flex cfs ping shafts for 7 irons, is going to cost approximately $325-.
The problem and first question, is there a great difference between the stiff and reg flex cfs shafts? some say shaft flex is the most defining part of the club.
The next question, do i go for the cost of the reg flex shafts in the i20's @ $325 or spend $900 on a new set of callaway apex or srixon z545?
Feedback and opinions on the shafts, and the comparisons to apex and z545 appreciated.
cheers

I would sell your i20s on and get some used i25s. The i25s will be right around your reshaft costs. Plus you get to sell the i20s.

For anyone still gaming these, what shafts are you in? The CFS stiff just isn't for me as it launches way too high, feels ok, but the height is just mind blowing. i20 4 iron looks like a damn KBS Tour V 8 iron for me... LOL. Gonna throw some S300s in them and see if that helps a bit.

For anyone still gaming these, what shafts are you in? The CFS stiff just isn't for me as it launches way too high, feels ok, but the height is just mind blowing. i20 4 iron looks like a damn KBS Tour V 8 iron for me... LOL. Gonna throw some S300s in them and see if that helps a bit.
Is it the shaft that you think launches too high? I have the I25's and Anser with a stiff KBS shaft (when I was fitted, the PING guy said either CSF or KBS stiff would be good) and I launch the ball like I could bring rain.
Maybe it is just the Ping heads?

Is it the shaft that you think launches too high? I have the I25's and Anser with a stiff KBS shaft (when I was fitted, the PING guy said either CSF or KBS stiff would be good) and I launch the ball like I could bring rain.

It's my first area of focus. I hope it's not the heads, cause I love looking down on these and am hoping to bring this flight down or these may have to go.

The CFS are def mid to mid-high launchers. S3's will definitely bring your flight down some.

I miss these heads. I won't lie.

The CFS are def mid to mid-high launchers. S3's will definitely bring your flight down some.

I miss these heads. I won't lie.

I just said goodbye to mine.

High launching is a bad thing? I thought they were solid, and while the launch was high, I never lost any distance. Different strokes though for sure. Good luck with them. Still one of the best iron heads I've it.

I had these briefly , they are just an okay iron. I got rid of mine less than a year after purchase no regrets. The project x shaft was just okay the heads look good but the sound and overall feel was not impressive . Why does Ping cling to 17 -4 steel in these irons, I guess there must be a valid reason . In the end nothing stood out in a significant way about the performance of these for me. PING makes great products, my experience with these was not as good as anticipated but okay, Buddy just sold his I 25's, IMO better choices out there.

I just said goodbye to mine.

High launching is a bad thing? I thought they were solid, and while the launch was high, I never lost any distance. Different strokes though for sure. Good luck with them. Still one of the best iron heads I've it.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just not what I prefer. I hit a 9 iron off a par 3 the other day that was a moon rocket and found its way into a green side bunker. It buried so deep I could just see the top of the ball LOL

And yes, if you don't catch the sweet spot, they will let you know, but the dispersion seems to be fairly tight. I will throw these S300s in and see what happens. I was hoping they'd offer a little more forgiveness than my J38 DPC, but I'm not convinced yet this will be the case. The S55 feel better to me overall honestly, but I can't convince myself thats an iron I could play on off days.

I get sad every time I see this thread pop up.

I miss my i20's so bad!

I flirt every year with another set or two, but these are still my gamers since their release date and the best overall irons I've had in twenty years.

Awesome to hear Karsten! I just threw some S300 in them today and taking a few swings tonight, they feel great. I expected a much different feel, probably heavier, but they feel really well balanced. Hopefully I will get to hit them tomorrow with the new set up.

Threw the S300 in my 5-PW last night and took them out to the range today. Ball flight was night and day from the CFS, in more ways than one. Longer irons now have the flight I like, mid launch, more piercing for sure. Short irons are also not getting up in the air so high but I think I am also getting some distance loss. With range balls I am getting my PW 120 at best, which is 5-10 yards shorter than normal for me. I should get out Monday on the course and see what happens but I am happier with the flight so far, it feels a little more controllable to me. CFS are good shafts, but I don't think they are a good fit for me at the stiff flex.

Threw the S300 in my 5-PW last night and took them out to the range today. Ball flight was night and day from the CFS, in more ways than one. Longer irons now have the flight I like, mid launch, more piercing for sure. Short irons are also not getting up in the air so high but I think I am also getting some distance loss. With range balls I am getting my PW 120 at best, which is 5-10 yards shorter than normal for me. I should get out Monday on the course and see what happens but I am happier with the flight so far, it feels a little more controllable to me. CFS are good shafts, but I don't think they are a good fit for me at the stiff flex.

happy you are getting to enjoy these. The CFS has the tendency to be mid-high launch and fits some better than others.

happy you are getting to enjoy these. The CFS has the tendency to be mid-high launch and fits some better than others.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Getting in the groove with them quicker than I expected.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Getting in the groove with them quicker than I expected.

They are easy to get along with and I think the DG is a good shaft combo with that head. That shaft was to much for me at the time which is why I went with the CFS.

I often think about finding a set of these again.

I saw a set hella cheap at PGA superstore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a set hella cheap at PGA superstore

The set that started it all for me here on THP. Seems a cheap grab right now.

Also, almost 3/4 million views on this one is pretty effing awesome.

The set that started it all for me here on THP. Seems a cheap grab right now.

Also, almost 3/4 million views on this one is pretty effing awesome.

Funny enough, I think these and the i25 reviews were what brought me in here (and finally got me to pull the trigger on a set of i series irons). So, thanks for that.

I've still got mine, my interest in them stemmed from this very thread during the review. Haven't seen a need to change them yet, still really enjoy them.

These are probably my favorite irons I've gamed to this day. Love the CF16s but something about the i20s just stuck with me. I could easily go back to these or the i25s. The new i E or whatever doesn't really do it for me though.

I have been gaming these plus the wood since the start of the year. Overall very pleased with the results I have seen. These were not my first choice,but I am glad I picked these up. I plan on buying the Srixon z765's but these may be my backup set.

I actually went back to i20s mid-season and saved my sanity for the remainder of the year. They just feel right & are accurate when I play them. I was even lucky enough to get my original set back!

Still the best forum review on THP in my biased, but honest, opinion.

Back