Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I had another range sessions with these today and again was hitting them flush with just a great high ball flight. These irons just feel great from top to bottom with my 5 iron just as easy to swing as the 9 iron.

These irons make golf a whole new game for me. Theyre just easy to hit and sneaky long too. I've been surprised with the distance I'm seeing almost as how easy they are to hit.

You know, Kmac, I've been so focused on the forgiveness, I kinda forgot about this. I hit the 7i about the same as the "really long" Burner 2.0s so I just looked and the 2.0 7i is 31* loft and my i20 is 34* (got it 1*weak). In other words, the i20s are playing almost a full club longer than those super long clubs. WOW.

These irons make golf a whole new game for me. Theyre just easy to hit and sneaky long too. I've been surprised with the distance I'm seeing almost as how easy they are to hit.

Got to hit these today. Once again it was very up and down. Had some very nice shots and some pretty poor ones. Once again the toe shots are almost unaffected. Hit quite a few out on the toe and the shots came off just fine. Hit a 5 iron 175 out of a deep bunker that I caught a bit thin but it somehow muscled its way onto the green. Jim Nantz would have compared it to Tiggers at Firestone

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Kevin, you getting excited about them gets me excited dude. I couldn't agree more, all around impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minarets...Where are you hitting them in Nashville at the demo day? Forrest Crossing on the 27th? I am hoping to make it there too so my wife and I can hit some. I think I will hit the G20 and the I20 driver. My wife wants to hit the ansers. She may hit the i20s also. I ordered my i20's last week and am just waiting...patiently (or not!) I cannot wait for them to come in...pant, pant...

So Yoccos, you ditching the CB3's? I will be very interested in your comparison once you get those.

I'm patiently waiting until the 27th where I can demo both sets here in Nashville.

I'm more worried he's gonna let the 588 CB's take over his permanent bag slots.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I'm more worried he's gonna let the 588 CB's take over his permanent bag slots.

Lol. Nah!!! I'm stoked for the Modus. Cleveland didn't have them as an option either haha.

Min, ditchin the CB3's. I tried ordering them with Modus action but Adams couldn't do it. Or I may have kept them.

The I20's though just have my eyes right now. Waiting patiently haha.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Minarets...Where are you hitting them in Nashville at the demo day? Forrest Crossing on the 27th? I am hoping to make it there too so my wife and I can hit some. I think I will hit the G20 and the I20 driver. My wife wants to hit the ansers. She may hit the i20s also. I ordered my i20's last week and am just waiting...patiently (or not!) I cannot wait for them to come in...pant, pant...

Yes sir, that would be the place. I'm going early, I hope.

Lol. Nah!!! I'm stoked for the Modus. Cleveland didn't have them as an option either haha.

Min, ditchin the CB3's. I tried ordering them with Modus action but Adams couldn't do it. Or I may have kept them.

The I20's though just have my eyes right now. Waiting patiently haha.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I hope you soft stepped them puppies from what your used to playing flex wise. They aren't "harsh" but they don't load w/o some serious coaxing. I can load X100's, C-Taper S+, PX 6.5 all without a problem. Tried a set of MP-53 with Modus X and I was hard pressed to get them puppies kicking properly. I mean swinging out of my shoes to get them working like they should.

Seen numerous people say they are seeing big distance gains over their previous setup. Everything is pretty average for me. 150y 7I w 10y gaps give or take 5 yards based on conditions.

I've basically clubbed one down from the Redlines. Most obvious reason is the i20s have weaker lofts. When I have the Redlines in hand and flex them with my fingers at various points in the shaft they are far more flexible than the PX 5.0 graphite. The Redline shaft is also a touch lighter than the PX. I need to make a post in the PX graphite thread.

Take all that into consideration and I am very pleased with the distances I get with the i20s. What's more important is the consistency of the distance. No more hot 6I's that go 180 yards and blow the green.

Seen numerous people say they are seeing big distance gains over their previous setup. Everything is pretty average for me. 150y 7I w 10y gaps give or take 5 yards based on conditions.

I've basically clubbed one down from the Redlines. Most obvious reason is the i20s have weaker lofts. When I have the Redlines in hand and flex them with my fingers at various points in the shaft they are far more flexible than the PX 5.0 graphite. The Redline shaft is also a touch lighter than the PX. I need to make a post in the PX graphite thread.

Take all that into consideration and I am very pleased with the distances I get with the i20s. What's more important is the consistency of the distance. No more hot 6I's that go 180 yards and blow the green.

Hmmm, it goes to show it goes both ways, for me I'm one of those who has also seen gains. They are one club longer than my J40's and legitimately as long as my 2.0's were as well. I'm quite the happy boy lol

I hope you soft stepped them puppies from what your used to playing flex wise. They aren't "harsh" but they don't load w/o some serious coaxing. I can load X100's, C-Taper S+, PX 6.5 all without a problem. Tried a set of MP-53 with Modus X and I was hard pressed to get them puppies kicking properly. I mean swinging out of my shoes to get them working like they should.

No sir! Just went with the Modus in Stiff. If they were KBS Tour I would've gone stiff hard stepped.

Hmmm, it goes to show it goes both ways, for me I'm one of those who has also seen gains. They are one club longer than my J40's and legitimately as long as my 2.0's were as well. I'm quite the happy boy lol

Same here bro. ANd I like it!

Same here bro. ANd I like it!

Definitely the shaft in my case. I could've gone 4.5 they are so stout. Not losing distance which is great. Accuracy is way up so I'll take that all day.

Definitely the shaft. I could've gone 4.5 they are so stout. Not losing distance which is great. Accuracy is way up so I'll take that all day.

Which is really more important man. Here's the thing I have found through some rigorous testing. I have tested the i20 7iron with the stock CFS shaft, the PX 5.5 and 6.0, and KBS Tour. The CFS gives me the lowest launch angle average and the highest spin average. I'm seeing a launch angle average around 19.4* and a backspin rpm avg around 6600. I think that pairing is what's helping me see some distances that are on par with irons I have tested/owned in the past.

Interesting stuff. So far Ive seen surprisingly good distance too. Ive hit a few out on the toe that went almost as far as a sweet spot hit or Ive hit the sweet spot and seen huge distance. Either way Im happy with it. They should have called the shafts CFS+D with distance.

Interesting stuff. So far Ive seen surprisingly good distance too. Ive ever hit a few out on the toe that went almost as far as a sweet spot hit or Ive hit the sweet spot and seen huge distance. Either way Im happy with it. They should have called the shafts CFS+D with distance.

LOL, I am inclined to agree dude. They really did something very right, especially at the weight range they come in at. I'm incredibly pleased so far.

I love keeping tabs on how everyone loves these so far. I need to find a time and place to hit them. I just can't get over the look of Ping irons. Just not for me.

LOL, I am inclined to agree dude. They really did something very right, especially at the weight range they come in at. I'm incredibly pleased so far.

Me too. I know a few have brought up turf interaction but Im seeing really good results with that too. Sunday I hit a couple and thought "got dang it I caught that one a little heavy" but watched it go and go and either hit the green or just barely come up short. Ive had far less fat shots with these too.

Which is really more important man. Here's the thing I have found through some rigorous testing. I have tested the i20 7iron with the stock CFS shaft, the PX 5.5 and 6.0, and KBS Tour. The CFS gives me the lowest launch angle average and the highest spin average. I'm seeing a launch angle average around 19.4* and a backspin rpm avg around 6600. I think that pairing is what's helping me see some distances that are on par with irons I have tested/owned in the past.

Good stuff TC. I don't have hard numbers to share as the jerks around me want to charge a fitting fee for any monitor time. Used to get free time, but the guy that was good to me moved on to a different job. When I have a chance I will probably bite the bullet just to get some #s up for the test.

Let me ask you this TC and anyone else.

When using the i20s does it seem that you are getting "player's iron" performance when hit remotely well? I'm hitting some blade like shots (trajectory, spin, accuracy) on the course and not giving away much of anything to get those high quality results.

Good stuff TC. I don't have hard numbers to share as the jerks around me want to charge a fitting fee for any monitor time. Used to get free time, but the guy that was good to me moved on to a different job. When I have a chance I will probably bite the bullet just to get some #s up for the test.

When using the i20s does it seem that you are getting "player's iron" performance when hit remotely well? I'm hitting some blade like shots (trajectory, spin, accuracy) on the course and not giving away much of anything to get those high quality results.

Yeah, some #'s are always good, but it can be costly for a few minutes of time. I'm pretty lucky in that I have a decent relationship with a shop owner here. He lets me use his vector in exchange of me purchasing soft goods (balls, hats, etc). It works.

To answer your question, yes, I see some pretty fun results with these. They're unlike anything I have played in the last couple of years and they sure are fun to have. I'm finding these very easy for me to work left to right (draw for me) which is something I could never do in the past. I belive it's a combination of the iron and the 3* upright lie angle for me. It's a subtle draw but it sure looks cool when I can pull it off when facing a right hand pin placement. My favorite thing about them is my ability to flight them higher and lower. They communicate well with ball position and the swing I want to impart. Not all irons I have had in the past do that well. These do.

Not sure If Ive ever got "players iron" performance from any of my irons but I know Ive seen some fantastic results from the i20's. Id even dare say they've enhanced my iron play and quite a bit. The results have been what I was hoping to see after hitting the 7 iron so many times in the store.

Yeah, some #'s are always good, but it can be costly for a few minutes of time. I'm pretty lucky in that I have a decent relationship with a shop owner here. He lets me use his vector in exchange of me purchasing soft goods (balls, hats, etc). It works.

To answer your question, yes, I see some pretty fun results with these. They're unlike anything I have played in the last couple of years and they sure are fun to have. I'm finding these very easy for me to work left to right (draw for me) which is something I could never do in the past. I belive it's a combination of the iron and the 3* upright lie angle for me. It's a subtle draw but it sure looks cool when I can pull it off when facing a right hand pin placement. My favorite thing about them is my ability to flight them higher and lower. They communicate well with ball position and the swing I want to impart. Not all irons I have had in the past do that well. These do.

I only call them jerks because they've had a lot of business from me. Their monitor, they can charge what they want.

Until my last range session I didn't even scuff the surface of shaping direction and ball height. After that session I will definitely work shot shaping into my rounds. Totally agree about the fitting aspect. Getting the right length and lie, which I believe I have, should open up the left side for me. My fat shots are way down and I'm seeing some pulls, new miss.

I like one word you used, fun. That's what it's all about for me.

So griff, you've seen the fat shots decrease huh? Do you attribute that to the smaller sole or sharper leading edge compared to stuff you've had in the past?

Back