Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Having some nasty computer issues. Can't post a proper test from the phone. Hopefully, things get ironed out tomorrow. Enjoyed reading all the recent comments!

What shafts do you have Griff?

Picked up my i20s today. 5-PW, Ping graphite shafts in reg flex, blue dot, with red paint fill...sweet looking. Took them to the range and hit for about an hour and a half. Felt great! So smooth. The fitting really worked, almost every shot straight as an arrow. Excellent ball flight on all the irons. I was worried about going from the Adams, which had hybrid 5 and 6 irons, but the i20s were smooth and easy. The distance was at least 10-15 yards longer. The face is smooth at contact, and the head is easy on the ground.
I am playing a round tomorrow and will try to keep track of the shots to write up a review. I am looking forward to playing these irons.

Ive just come back from the range. I went off to hit the demo 7i again and make sure the lie was correct as I was questioning this in ny mind.

There was a massive left to right wind going and I hit the 7i well but the CFS shaft just spins too much for me and goes too high and the wind was just hitting the ball. Put the S300 shaft it and the wind barely touched the ball. I hit the ball naturally high and I love that but I could hit them low and penetrating with the i20.

So all in all, I'm so excited now to get the irons, I pured EVERY shot on the range today.

That's great to hear. Did you try any KBS shafts?

Ive just come back from the range. I went off to hit the demo 7i again and make sure the lie was correct as I was questioning this in ny mind.

There was a massive left to right wind going and I hit the 7i well but the CFS shaft just spins too much for me and goes too high and the wind was just hitting the ball. Put the S300 shaft it and the wind barely touched the ball. I hit the ball naturally high and I love that but I could hit them low and penetrating with the i20.

So all in all, I'm so excited now to get the irons, I pured EVERY shot on the range today.

That's why it's so important to experiment. The CFS and S300 are very different shafts IMO.

Picked up my i20s today. 5-PW, Ping graphite shafts in reg flex, blue dot, with red paint fill...sweet looking. Took them to the range and hit for about an hour and a half. Felt great! So smooth. The fitting really worked, almost every shot straight as an arrow. Excellent ball flight on all the irons. I was worried about going from the Adams, which had hybrid 5 and 6 irons, but the i20s were smooth and easy. The distance was at least 10-15 yards longer. The face is smooth at contact, and the head is easy on the ground.
I am playing a round tomorrow and will try to keep track of the shots to write up a review. I am looking forward to playing these irons.

Did PING do the custom paint fill?

Yes, I would like to know about paint fill.

That's great to hear. Did you try any KBS shafts?

I tried the KBS tour and c-taper, but not in the wind today. I tried those at the fitting but the ping fitter was much happier with my stats and ball flight with the s300. They visibly looked pretty good but did go higher so I guess for me, spin was the factor.

For info my SS was 91mph with the 7 iron. We nearly went to an x stiff shaft but the extra weight of the s300 helped me massively, it instantly stabilised the head and helped give me a much more powerful feel to the strike which none of the other shafts gave me. The CFS in x stiff still spun too much. Not sure on the spin stats though, but my grouping was pretty tight for me.

That's why it's so important to experiment. The CFS and S300 are very different shafts IMO.

I would totally agree, the extra weight has helped me and hitting balls into that massive side wind today totally confirmed what the ping fitter promised. He said I would get much better performance into wind or playing in wind with the s300 and this proved everything right

FYI the side wind was 30mph with 60mph gusts and heavy rain according to the weather reports. The golf balls certaily confirmed that.

Played my new I20's for the first time this weekend. Played a round on Thursday. First opportunity to hit the clubs was on 2nd hole par 3 playing 180. Pulled out the new 6 iron and landed pin high and ended 15 feet past the hole. Nice start to say the least. The next hole was a par 5 and I pulled out the much hyped 4 iron. My expectation were high give the reviews of the 4 iron on this forum. I was not disappointed. Hit it about 100 yards straight down the fairway. To be fair I had some shots that I did not hit as clean throughout the round and coming from G2 I got alot more "feedback" on slightly off center shots. The results were better than what I expected given the feel that was experienced. Overall very impressed with the distance I am getting (maybe 10 yards longer on short irons) . Less miss hits on Saturdays round and feeling more comfortable with the extra length I got on the new clubs compared with the G2's. I played alot of holes on Saturday with the 4iron off the tee instead of driver. Thats how much I like that club. I got 5-W and I have been trying to find the range on the L wedge. Not quite there. Overall a great set of clubs that I am going to enjoy learning to play with.

Previous test posts in spoiler.

Spoiler

Notice a lot of people getting their i20s and a lot of shaft questions right now. Attended a demo weekend and had a chance to hit the i20s with the CFS shaft. 1st time outdoors with the shaft so thought it would be helpful to post some thoughts.

i20 6I Red Dot -1/2" CFS Reg
Flex

I play purple dot -1/4" so this is a very close fit. After playing with the lighter graphite I noticed the weight difference right away. Call me spoiled, but I don't think I can hit iron shafts over 100 grams any more. At times I felt I had to muscle the club to get what I wanted. After I settled down things improved.

Ball flight was very controlled and nothing ballooned at all. Flew lower than the PX 5.0 graphite, but not as much as expected. Seems to be mid launch and mid flight. Nice lift at impact with a steady climb. Ball came down nicely after reaching the top. I really like the lower flight. I had no good target to gauge spin as the range green was 150 and I was hitting them off the back. Seems like there'd be no issue holding greens with the lower flight.

This is a very different feeling shaft than most stock shafts I hit this weekend. I had a little trouble "feeling" the club head on the downswing. If I were to go stock steel I would consider adding some swing weight. Initially I really didn't like the combo at all. After 5-6 swings I was liking it more. Matching the results to what I was feeling during the swing began to make sense. Very accurate combo and I had no big misses left or right.

I see no reason I couldn't have success with stock steel. Wouldn't be my first choice. Felt like I needed to swing harder to get a feel for the club head during the swing. Unfortunately, I finished swinging as hard as when I started and I bet I would do that during a round. Had the most success in the middle when I was going easier.

What makes Ping so great is there are a ton of options to the CFS. Get fit and use what Ping has to offer!

Did PING do the custom paint fill?

Yes Ping did the paint fill...I ordered through a demo day at my local course and the golf shop. I just told the rep what I wanted and it was done. A cool individual touch.

I played today, the first round with the new clubs. I am loving the clubs, but at first I was hitting it long, over the green. I did this on the first two holes and then had to adjust my yardages for my approaches. I picked up a good 10-15 yards on my shots. I do notice a little bit of a fade on the longer irons, the 6 and 5 irons. I got in one trouble position by driving my ball 20 yards behind a tree at 124 yards from the pin. :angry: I took my pitching wedge to get it over the tree. I hit the top of the tree and still hit the green in regulation on that shot. Previously my pitching wedge was my 100-105 yard club. The i20s did me well all day. I hit all par 3's on the green, hit three par 5's in regulation. :banana: Shot a 91 for the first round with my new clubs. Can't wait to get out and play again. :clapp:

Played my new I20's for the first time this weekend. Played a round on Thursday. First opportunity to hit the clubs was on 2nd hole par 3 playing 180. Pulled out the new 6 iron and landed pin high and ended 15 feet past the hole. Nice start to say the least. The next hole was a par 5 and I pulled out the much hyped 4 iron. My expectation were high give the reviews of the 4 iron on this forum. I was not disappointed. Hit it about 100 yards straight down the fairway. To be fair I had some shots that I did not hit as clean throughout the round and coming from G2 I got alot more "feedback" on slightly off center shots. The results were better than what I expected given the feel that was experienced. Overall very impressed with the distance I am getting (maybe 10 yards longer on short irons) . Less miss hits on Saturdays round and feeling more comfortable with the extra length I got on the new clubs compared with the G2's. I played alot of holes on Saturday with the 4iron off the tee instead of driver. Thats how much I like that club. I got 5-W and I have been trying to find the range on the L wedge. Not quite there. Overall a great set of clubs that I am going to enjoy learning to play with.

I'm thinking this is a typo. Let me get this straight, you hit a 180 yard 6 iron (which is great) and you hit a 100 yard 4 iron? Did you hit a punch shot from under a tree to play safe or what?

Whatever it is, I'm glad you like it.

I have been away from this thread for a while and noticed several have same problem with finish on original I20 irons. My question is what has PING said they will do to correct issue. Any help is appreciated.

TapAhoy!

I love my i20's for the record but if you hit a slump and your swing goes away for a period, no club can help that. Played a terrible round today and it was all me. Don't blame the sticks when it happens to you

Last edited:
I have been away from this thread for a while and noticed several have same problem with finish on original I20 irons. My question is what has PING said they will do to correct issue. Any help is appreciated.

TapAhoy!

Ping has switched up the finish on newer production i20s. Past that I don't know SMG. Mine are acceptable based on usage.

I love my i20's for the record but if you hit a slump and your swing goes away for a period, o club can help that. Played a terrible round today and it was all me. Don't blame the sticks when it happens to you

Had some of those Crimtide. You'll get back on track I'm sure. i20s almost always make me look better than I should.

Ping has switched up the finish on newer production i20s. Past that I don't know SMG. Mine are acceptable based on usage.

Im not seeing a terrible look to my irons and I've played a few rounds with them but have hit many balls with them. It's a non issue for me

Had some of those Crimtide. You'll get back on track I'm sure. i20s almost always make me look better than I should.
I hope so Griff. Today took some digging deep to wonder why I even play. Wow a bad day

Yes Ping did the paint fill...I ordered through a demo day at my local course and the golf shop. I just told the rep what I wanted and it was done. A cool individual touch.

Wow that's sweet, wish I knew that 2 weeks ago! Nice first round BTW.

I'm thinking this is a typo. Let me get this straight, you hit a 180 yard 6 iron (which is great) and you hit a 100 yard 4 iron? Did you hit a punch shot from under a tree to play safe or what?

Whatever it is, I'm glad you like it.

LOL. Just read my typo... 4 iron about 220 within 100 yards of the green. Haha.

Will have a more detailed write-up from the following round this week.

4/28
Conditons: 10-15mph wind, 50's and overcast

Saturday I had a 9am tee time. Haven't gotten much sleep lately but really wanted to play some golf. Wasn't hitting the i20's good at all on the range. I was just really stiff. Once I got on the course it was much better. I had a few very good shots, a few ok ones, and a few bad ones. Nothing really terrible though. I wasn't striking the ball that well and my miss was more of a push. Nothing huge but maybe 5-10 yards. Most all were playable. My two bad shots were with the 4i. Hit them okay but did not swing through the ball and they ended up being fades. Still decent distance, about 195-200 yards but just ended up off line. I am still very impressed at the ball flight and distances I am getting from these. I am also getting some good spin with the PW. I spun one off the green. I should be getting out to play in the Member 9 tournament tonight. Hopefully I can produce some good scores tonight.

Any chance you could post a picture of the custom paint-fill?

I played today, the first round with the new clubs. I am loving the clubs, but at first I was hitting it long, over the green. I did this on the first two holes and then had to adjust my yardages for my approaches. I picked up a good 10-15 yards on my shots. I do notice a little bit of a fade on the longer irons, the 6 and 5 irons. I got in one trouble position by driving my ball 20 yards behind a tree at 124 yards from the pin. :angry: I took my pitching wedge to get it over the tree. I hit the top of the tree and still hit the green in regulation on that shot. Previously my pitching wedge was my 100-105 yard club. The i20s did me well all day. I hit all par 3's on the green, hit three par 5's in regulation. :banana: Shot a 91 for the first round with my new clubs. Can't wait to get out and play again. :clapp:

i20's ordered today. I want to say something to describe my excitement but will refrain so I don't offend anyone with better manners. While I wait for their construction and delivery, I will wistfully play the last few rounds with my well-loved (I gave 'em 20 years of devotion) Eye2s. OMG, Christmas in spring is freakin' awesome.

I predict they will bring you much happiness. Did you get the stock CFS shafts?

Will have a more detailed write-up from the following round this week.

4/28
Conditons: 10-15mph wind, 50's and overcast

Saturday I had a 9am tee time. Haven't gotten much sleep lately but really wanted to play some golf. Wasn't hitting the i20's good at all on the range. I was just really stiff. Once I got on the course it was much better. I had a few very good shots, a few ok ones, and a few bad ones. Nothing really terrible though. I wasn't striking the ball that well and my miss was more of a push. Nothing huge but maybe 5-10 yards. Most all were playable. My two bad shots were with the 4i. Hit them okay but did not swing through the ball and they ended up being fades. Still decent distance, about 195-200 yards but just ended up off line. I am still very impressed at the ball flight and distances I am getting from these. I am also getting some good spin with the PW. I spun one off the green. I should be getting out to play in the Member 9 tournament tonight. Hopefully I can produce some good scores tonight.

Hope the scores were all you wanted. Let us know how you did.

i20's ordered today. I want to say something to describe my excitement but will refrain so I don't offend anyone with better manners. While I wait for their construction and delivery, I will wistfully play the last few rounds with my well-loved (I gave 'em 20 years of devotion) Eye2s. OMG, Christmas in spring is freakin' awesome.

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the new sticks, did you go 2* upright as you mentioned?

Back