Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Well, I finally got to hit these babies off grass today for the first time. Oh my. I started with the CB3s and loved the c tapers. Moved to the i20s and started with yellow dots with the PXi shafts. Man. Those felt awesome. Perfect weight and feel. I then grabbed a black dot CFS in S 4i and was hitting great shots. Grabbed a black dot in PX and everything went left.

Finally settled with black dot CFS S hardstepped once (to help bring the ball down some). Kinda sad I didn't have any real cool adjustments.

I do think I will get fitted again, in store when I get ready to buy these and use more data to confirm my thoughts. I went strictly off ball flight and feel today.

Man, I tell you, those PXi shafts are awesome. I don't see many people talking about them. At $35/club upgrade though, that's a tad too pricey for me. I was surprised the c tapers felt so good. I thought with my SS of 86mph (6i) that I wouldn't have enough to load them, but they felt great.

Excellent! I'm glad you finally got the chance to try the outdoors with a plethora of shaft options. Like you, I really liked the PXi's when I tested them (although it was after I ordered and had my i20's in hand).

Looks likes I got a round tomorrow morning. Going to play rain or shine(as long as course is open). It's only been a week but I am feeling i20 withdrawl.

Glad you're getting out there buddy. I hope you have a good day on the course. Hit em well.

Got another round in today. I can agree with 99% of use here on this thread. The more I play with it, the more I love it.

Has anyone been to the Ping factory in Arizona? What was the experience like and how do you go about getting a tour or a fitting there? Or maybe get your clubs tuned up? Thanks.

i do believe that forum member yoccos went to the Ping factory to have his fitting conducted there. He'll chime in when he gets up. He's in PST time zone.

Got another round in today. I can agree with 99% of use here on this thread. The more I play with it, the more I love it.

Has anyone been to the Ping factory in Arizona? What was the experience like and how do you go about getting a tour or a fitting there? Or maybe get your clubs tuned up? Thanks.

I thought I saw the Facebook update that TMex was going to the Ping factory to make his own got dang i20 irons with Modus shafts...

I thought I saw the Facebook update that TMex was going to the Ping factory to make his own got dang i20 irons with Modus shafts...

hahahaha, there sure is a lot of funny components of that post.

Location?

The Reserve next weekend. Ping and Callaway will be there and I want to hit the Callaway Forged wedges too. Tualatin Island Greens is having a Ping demo day today. The best demo day in our area is May 19th at Camas Meadows. Just about every OEM is there on the 1 day.

I can speak on the finish thing too. They definitely have lightened the finish on the newer irons. The first set I saw had the darker finish and hey looked pretty awful. I know they are demos and get hit all the time, but man, they looked ten years old. I asked him about the finish and he said, " PING has changed the finish to aid in that" and grabbed some of the new ones. Indeed, much lighter in finish. They too were worn, but at address it wasn't as noticeable as the older darker finish.

I can speak on the finish thing too. They definitely have lightened the finish on the newer irons. The first set I saw had the darker finish and hey looked pretty awful. I know they are demos and get hit all the time, but man, they looked ten years old. I asked him about the finish and he said, " PING has changed the finish to aid in that" and grabbed some of the new ones. Indeed, much lighter in finish. They too were worn, but at address it wasn't as noticeable as the older darker finish.

I think that's great that PIng improved the club during the current cycle instead of just waiting and changing the next offereing.

Also, I meant to ask. The ping rep suggested I hard step once, the CFS S to bring the flight down and lower the loft 1*. I have never done this. Does that make sense? Will it feel different?

Also, I meant to ask. The ping rep suggested I hard step once, the CFS S to bring the flight down and lower the loft 1*. I have never done this. Does that make sense? Will it feel different?

Yes, that is one option to bring the flight down. However, unless you are sold on the CFS shaft being a must, you probably want to try some more shafts with lower flight characteristics as well. There are so many exotic shafts out now, but sometimes the old faithfuls like Dynamic Golds will surprise you. It really depends on the weight, tip/butt stiffness etc. combinations that work best for you. Good luck!

Is the 9-10 days shipping time that most are quoting for orders to arrive straight days or business days? Sigh - impatiently waiting for mine...

The Reserve next weekend. Ping and Callaway will be there and I want to hit the Callaway Forged wedges too. Tualatin Island Greens is having a Ping demo day today. The best demo day in our area is May 19th at Camas Meadows. Just about every OEM is there on the 1 day.

Thanks OG. I am close to Tualatin Island Greens but the kids have little league games today so I can't make it. I'd love to demo the i20 irons...maybe next weekend at The Reserve. By the way, are you a member there?

Thanks OG. I am close to Tualatin Island Greens but the kids have little league games today so I can't make it. I'd love to demo the i20 irons...maybe next weekend at The Reserve. By the way, are you a member there?

I wish. My budget keeps me to the local muni's with a few rounds at Langdon, The Reserve, Pumpkin, etc... occasionally. Wildwood is my usual.

Yes, that is one option to bring the flight down. However, unless you are sold on the CFS shaft being a must, you probably want to try some more shafts with lower flight characteristics as well. There are so many exotic shafts out now, but sometimes the old faithfuls like Dynamic Golds will surprise you. It really depends on the weight, tip/butt stiffness etc. combinations that work best for you. Good luck!
Well, I currently play DGs300 and I still hit it high. Pretty much everything I hit goes high. The feel was just great with the PXi shafts and high of course, but the CFS were the 2nd best feeling to me and about as high as everything else.

To be honest the height might just be your swing technique. I see your playing off 36 and I don't think the club or shaft is the issue. I used to have the same issue when I started playing off 28 and it was because I was getting flippy through impact. No point getting a low launching shaft then in time fixing your swing so your impact is right and find your hitting it too low!

My i20s are still with ping while they look at the finish. My local pro told me people in the UK are waiting at least 7-10 days for new irons, hope that is not the same for my replacements!

To be honest the height might just be your swing technique. I see your playing off 36 and I don't think the club or shaft is the issue. I used to have the same issue when I started playing off 28 and it was because I was getting flippy through impact. No point getting a low launching shaft then in time fixing your swing so your impact is right and find your hitting it too low!
I'm actually a 13 handicap. Not sure why that says 36.
Just fixed it, guess I never had before.

My i20s are still with ping while they look at the finish. My local pro told me people in the UK are waiting at least 7-10 days for new irons, hope that is not the same for my replacements!

Im UK as well. My irons will be 4 weeks before I get them. Ping are waiting for head and DG S300 stocks to be able to fulfill my order. Ah well only 2 more weeks to wait. I am getting impatient. tap tap tap tap tap.

I got my i20's about 3 weeks ago. Does anyone know what serial numbers the new finish comes out with or if you can determine it through the serial numbers? How can you tell what the second batch is like with the better finish (hopefully I don't have to wait 2 months until the paint wears off)?

Yes they have ran out of heads. American Golf were not willing to replace my clubs until Ping send a replacement which is rubbish. At least they let me borrow some Callaways in the meanwhile.

I've been a bit of a douche in this thread. I just am hitting the ball so poorly right now that I don't feel like I can give an accurate review. I will say that I played the other day. Didn't take a single good swing with my irons and still shot an 80. The forgiveness on these are phenomenal.

I've been a bit of a douche in this thread. I just am hitting the ball so poorly right now that I don't feel like I can give an accurate review. I will say that I played the other day. Didn't take a single good swing with my irons and still shot an 80. The forgiveness on these are phenomenal.

I think you are being pretty hard on yourself. If you're shooting 80's and hitting the ball poorly then it means you are getting up and down like a freak. Not all of your game is suffering. Clearly.

I think you are being pretty hard on yourself. If you're shooting 80's and hitting the ball poorly then it means you are getting up and down like a freak. Not all of your game is suffering. Clearly.

Didn't miss a fairway with my driver plus I putted well. Dude I get very down when I don't hit my irons well. Like Kmac breaking drivers down

Being a 13 HC I was still thinking these would be too much for me when actually getting them on grass. I used some impact tape the PING rep had and I was actually amazed at where my impact was. I don't want to pat myself on the back, but I think I will :)
Anyway, when trying a PX shaft I did hit one way out on the toe, and while harsh, I only lost about 20 yards of distance. Straight as an arrow.

And I'm pretty sure there is no need for me to go with a 3i, but the 4i I hit yesterday felt awesome. I hadn't felt that good hitting a 4i ever.

This deciding on a shaft thing though, is going to kill me.

The good news (after my wife said yes buy you some irons, then no, no gifts this year, no clubs) she called me from work today and said she wanted something for Mothers Day, so I could get irons for Fathers day. I wonder if that changes after Mothers day? I love when my wife "let's" me do something.

I think you should pull the trigger before she changes her mind. Go with the PXi's man! You seem like the kind of guy that doesn't change his equipment (irons) around all to often. Might as well really treat yourself.

Didn't miss a fairway with my driver plus I putted well. Dude I get very down when I don't hit my irons well. Like Kmac breaking drivers down

What's going on? I mean, where are you missing your shots?

Back