Hit these irons again today and am just about settled on these with regular steel shaft. Control with the steel felt great. Love the distance i was getting. One more testing between the steel and graphite shaft. As TC said the ball just feel like it shoots off face.

I know the Mizuno JPX and MX 1000 irons are going to go toward these. just trying to see if I want to get rid of anything else. Time to reduce my inventory but all the putters are safe.

TapAhoy!

Man that is exciting to read. I love seeing these irons get OEM'ed like this.

Hit these finally today indoors. Took everything not to order right there, but held off because we luckily have a Ping demo day this weekend outside on grass - trying to be patient...

Really interested in how I hit the stock shaft vs the KBS Tours.

Maybe I need to test the KBS shafts too. I have never hit them.

TapAhoy!

I love the new i20's. I currently play Mizuno MX-200s but I am looking to upgrade to something with more feel and workability. I am considering Mizuno MP 53's, Ping i20s and Ping Anser irons. Any opinions?

Hit these finally today indoors. Took everything not to order right there, but held off because we luckily have a Ping demo day this weekend outside on grass - trying to be patient...

Really interested in how I hit the stock shaft vs the KBS Tours.

CFS should bring a lower flight. Hoping today is the day that I take delivery. I'm getting antsy

I love the new i20's. I currently play Mizuno MX-200s but I am looking to upgrade to something with more feel and workability. I am considering Mizuno MP 53's, Ping i20s and Ping Anser irons. Any opinions?

well the mx200s are a better feeling club than the i20s,i was using the MXs till a few days ago and tried the 7 iron i20 out with the stiff cfs and have to say it feels the same as the i15 to me,was really looking forward to buying a set of these but have gone back to my trusty MCs as didnt like the feel of the i15s either,IMO you will not like the i20s any better than the MXs,

Unless you have money to burn, I would not consider the Ansers. Too expensive unless you are an absolute Ping junkie. 53's are very nice. I like the I20's better but I'm a homer. I would hit them both and see what gives you the better numbers. If they are close I would then go with what you want. The I20's will be more forgiving IMO

i too currently game the MX200s and probably will for at least another season. i am in love with the i20s but have yet to hit them outside, but indoors they look and feel spectacular. this is the iron for me...

Honestly, I don't know how these irons aren't way up there on someone's feel chart. I thought they felt awesome. And personally, I like how they aren't as clicky at impact like the Mizuno's tend to be. Chunky, when are yours showing up bro? I'm so excited for you to take delivery. I might use to refund money towards a set to be honest. I need to get approval first but I'm highly considering it. They're much more forgiving than the i15's from last year, IMO.

A set of these would be perfect for refund money to go towards. Im ready for some serious chunkyresponding in this thread.

Honestly, I don't know how these irons aren't way up there on someone's feel chart. I thought they felt awesome. And personally, I like how they aren't as clicky at impact like the Mizuno's tend to be. Chunky, when are yours showing up bro? I'm so excited for you to take delivery. I might use to refund money towards a set to be honest. I need to get approval first but I'm highly considering it. They're much more forgiving than the i15's from last year, IMO.

hmm, i have never heard mizuno's to be described as clicky.

Well, I reckon they are but I'm left handed. I hit the i20, the Fg 62, the V2, the AP 2 and the MP 59 all next to each other and in no way did the Mizuno's feel/sound the best.

I think you'd like them a lot Keith...I know I've liked them since putting them in my irons

Maybe I need to test the KBS shafts too. I have never hit them.

TapAhoy!

Well, I reckon they are but I'm left handed. I hit the i20, the Fg 62, the V2, the AP 2 and the MP 59 all next to each other and in no way did the Mizuno's feel/sound the best.

I reckon you're right. I think Mizuno is highly overrated in terms of sound/feel. Mostly hanging onto the past imo.

I really can't wait to hit these dude.

oh, i certainly didn't mean my comment like, "well its the iron i am playing so its superior to everything else," so i hope it didn't come off that way. but i have always thought and understood "clicky" to be more of a cast feel thing. not necessarily only for cast irons, but more often than not. maybe im off the reservation, but in my experiences, the TA7s, AP1 710, Burner 2.0 all felt more clicky to me on mishits than anything.

i wont get into a forged vs cast thing, but i had never heard anyone describe mizuno forgings (any irons previous to the 800 series) as clicky, so when i tried them, the 200s, i thought i felt what they were saying. it felt different. smoother per say. i have not hit the 59s though.

the i20 were the "softest" cast iron i can remember hitting and that is why i have fallen so hard for them, well one reason. they look good and performed good in the sim.

I have the Mizuno MX 200 and JPX pros and love them both. What has me captivated with the the I 20's is partly feel and partly head weight. Perhaps its more the feel of the head. I like the way the 20's feel on the down swing and I seem to get all the through the ball and the ball jumps off the face hotter than the Mizzy's. I am not giving up my 200's or JPX pros just yet.

I read on another site that the I 20's are better designed for diggers more so than sweepers because of their low bounce. For instance my JPX pros 4 iron has a bounce of 2* and the I 20 4 iron has a bounce of 5*. T Mizunos don't reach a 5* bounce until the 9 iron. I am not sure how significant this is for my swing. I am more of a sweeper because normally my divots are not craters.

Would love to hear what the more experienced players think about the bounce issue and how it relates to swing type. I did not search THP to see if this subject had been covered. If so let me know.

TapAhoy!

I have the Mizuno MX 200 and JPX pros and love them both. What has me captivated with the the I 20's is partly feel and partly head weight. Perhaps its more the feel of the head. I like the way the 20's feel on the down swing and I seem to get all the through the ball and the ball jumps off the face hotter than the Mizzy's. I am not giving up my 200's or JPX pros just yet.

I read on another site that the I 20's are better designed for diggers more so than sweepers because of their low bounce. For instance my JPX pros 4 iron has a bounce of 2* and the I 20 4 iron has a bounce of 5*. T Mizunos don't reach a 5* bounce until the 9 iron. I am not sure how significant this is for my swing. I am more of a sweeper because normally my divots are not craters.

Would love to hear what the more experienced players think about the bounce issue and how it relates to swing type. I did not search THP to see if this subject had been covered. If so let me know.

TapAhoy!

interesting, as i too, and more of a sweeper. but i have yet to hit them outside to see how this will effect anything

Ping has stated that the increased bounce is more a result of moving the COG to the perimeter and back. The club will tend to deflect down once it strikes the ball, so the edge relief helps keep the club from auguring in once you've made contact with the ball.

I've hit mine into my driving net a few times now and every time I go out with them I love them a little more. It's been rainy and so the ground has been somewhat spongy. I hit the i20s side by side with my G5s and besides the i20s having a less harsh feel on both mishits and pure hits the i20s seemed to have fewer issues with turf interaction. The G5s would tend to bury themselves more if I came in fat. In addition, I made a conscious effort to shallow out my swing with my scoring irons just to see if I would start skulling the ball due to bouncing off the turf just before the ball and had no issues sweeping the ball off the ground.

I may not be able to take these on the course this weekend, but I'll at least be able to go back to the range and hit another bucket. I'll take a G5 club and hit them side by side and compare ballfight and report back.

I notice a lot of reckoning going on lately. I need to reckon more. I reckon I might get these here irons shortly. Then I reckon I will slay some range balls. These irons are margarine smooth I reckon. Mizuno makes their lefty irons clicky

Great info Xir.

TapAhoy!

I had some of the same concerns re: bounce (at least based on paper specs) so I just called Ping - the guy talked to the people in WRX and confirmed they can take up to 4* bounce off any club assuming no other grind (that's the max due to the tungsten weight).

On a side note, we have a demo day here in San Diego this weekend and so I asked what shafts they are likely to have for the I20s - he said definitely KBS Tour, 90% sure on C-Tapers and PXi's and unlikely for the Modus3's. I don't usually have a problem hitting too high, so I'm really pumped being able to compare the stock vs KBS Tours vs PXi's (been a PX guy for a while but love the feel of the KBS on the few swings I've had with "borrowed" clubs).

PING guy told me yesterday they have PXi 6.0 and 6.5 for upcharge of 35 per club. They have plenty in stock. They could special order PXi in 5.0 and 5.5 for 60.00 per club. That seemed a good bit overpriced to me but perhaps these shafts are better than I think.

TapAhoy!

the i20 were the "softest" cast iron i can remember hitting and that is why i have fallen so hard for them, well one reason. they look good and performed good in the sim.

you want to hit there s57 and s56 line even better feel than the i20s

PING guy told me yesterday they have PXi 6.0 and 6.5 for upcharge of 35 per club. They have plenty in stock. They could special order PXi in 5.0 and 5.5 for 60.00 per club. That seemed a good bit overpriced to me but perhaps these shafts are better than I think.

TapAhoy!

Why are the 5.0s and 5.5s so much more?

Right. Colonel Tuna reporting for duty.

Unless you have money to burn, I would not consider the Ansers.

Don't listen to him! Ansers are hawt. Though if money is a factor I'd say the S56's are just as good performance wise, just lacking the extra looks and feel of the Ansers.

I would agree that they are. Not a hard click but there is, IMO a muted click that I link with Mizuno and their players irons. My 59's have a decided click to them which I think is the result of the Ti forging process which ups the sound.

I reckon you're right. I think Mizuno is highly overrated in terms of sound/feel. Mostly hanging onto the past imo.

I disagree with this quite a bit. On the other hand I also don't think they're the best since sliced bread like some do. I love the destinctive feel but there's at least 4 iron sets off the top of my head that "feel" just as good to me but in a different way.

I had some of the same concerns re: bounce (at least based on paper specs) so I just called Ping - the guy talked to the people in WRX and confirmed they can take up to 4* bounce off any club assuming no other grind (that's the max due to the tungsten weight).

Honestly, I think this is the coolest thing I've seen a WRX department offer yet. I have to hand it to Ping, nearly anything you want done can be done it's just how much your willing to pay for it.

Yesterday? Hmmm. Some Ping dealers are saying the PXi are back ordered and anyone going with them won't have there's fulfilled until the 1st week of March. Maybe the dealers just haven't been updated since they got more stock.

Why are the 5.0s and 5.5s so much more?

They'll sell far less of them thus can't get the same bulk deal from TT.

I know this is the irons thread but I've managed to set something up with a local Ping guy together for a i20 show off with a custom shaft fitting vs what I have. He says if he loses out in distance and accuracy on more then 1 of the 4 clubs he puts up I can take of a picture of him in a Fowler hat and stick it up. A bold claim of a confident man. Should be a good evening!

Back