Ping i230 irons for a 16 handicapper

frankieg

Reaction score
Handicap
Last year I got rid of irons 4-7 and replaced them with Hybrids. Great move helped me out. Now I am left with wanting to purchase 8-UW in the i230 line I feel like I shouldn't have difficulty handling them since they are short irons. I don't like the big G430's Anyone in my handicap range tried using a players iron for the short ones how did it work out?

I don’t know your game at all but don’t see a reason you couldn’t play 8-U in the 230.

First question is "Why are you a 16 handicap?" Do you putt 35-40 times a round? Lose balls OD off the tee? Blade wedge shots?

If you strike your irons well these are rather forgiving for their size and maybe you could do down to 6 iron.

Last year I got rid of irons 4-7 and replaced them with Hybrids. Great move helped me out. Now I am left with wanting to purchase 8-UW in the i230 line I feel like I shouldn't have difficulty handling them since they are short irons. I don't like the big G430's Anyone in my handicap range tried using a players iron for the short ones how did it work out?

I just went through fitting...you do need to understand that the 230s are much shorter; they spin quite a bit. I tried them with virtually every shaft combo and they were as much as 15 yds shorter than others. So 2 things - I think you would end up with a gap btw your hybrids and you will then have clubs that go shorter.

Good luck either way

Go for it. I had the same concerns as a 16 hcp. when I started gaming the i200’s several years ago (previously played G10’s).

I think there is plenty of forgiveness (not to be confused with fargiveness) in the i2XX series, especially the short irons.

Last edited:
Back