Ping Irons or Callaway?

semi

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking at new irons now. Hitting both of these pretty good on the screen but do like one of them slightly better. Looking for opinions

Ping G25 or Calloway Xhot irons

Ping g20 in the mix but didn't really hit the ball far enough comparing.. consistently shorter off the mat.

Looking at new irons now. Hitting both of these pretty good on the screen but do like one of them slightly better. Looking for opinions

Ping g20 in the mix but didn't really hit the ball far enough comparing.. consistently shorter off the tee.

I know its a generic response, but I would A) go with the one you like better like you mentioned above. B) Whichever one fits what you are looking to accomplish. Forgiveness, distance..etc

Welcome to THP.

Pers preference, I liked the g25 better than the x hot irons. The finish suited my eye better. I thought both were solid performers. The x hots really launched the ball and have some really good distance. But to me the redesign of the G series won me over of those 2.

Which iron do you like better?

Both appear to be solid choices. Get what makes you happiest.

That's the problem I like both of them. The Calloway is $100 less. I am a 20 handicap so I need a club with more forgiveness. Guy at golfsmith says they are both forgiving club faces.

That's the problem I like both of them. The Calloway is $100 less. I am a 20 handicap so I need a club with more forgiveness. Guy at golfsmith says they are both forgiving club faces.

If you like them both, I would save myself $100. If there is any reason you like the G25's more then I would get those. In the end, you are the one that has to play them. Get what makes you the most comfortable.

they are both forgiving. If you are looking at saving a little more money check out the Cobra AMP Cell irons.
If you are looking at other factors as well like trade in value or resale value, PING irons tend to hold their value longer.

Get the one you feel more confident with standing over the ball.

Love my PING I3+ irons....But it's really what you feel. Gotta have confidence in what you are swinging.

thanks for the opinions so far. Just a side note, both golf shops I have been at are steering me away from the ping set. They claim its not a distance club. I have to say they are affecting my opinion in a way. Really pushing Calloway and TM. I have TM burner 2.0 now.

I preferred the G25's over the XHot's personally. It's all preference like everyone said. I'd give the Speedblade a shot too as it seems like a lot of people like it (or if you're trying to save money, the Rocketbladez can be had very cheaply right now). After hitting different ones I ended up with the G25's, which go maybe 5 more yards than my old a7OS's, but they have a great ball flight. I'd recommend taking all 3 to a launch monitor and see what feels best. Golfsmith is great for that.

Just a heads up that I edited the title of the thread. Good luck in your search and a lot of great info in this thread already.

I'd be careful about the distance club talk IMO; you want the one with the tightest dispersion and the one you hit the most consistently. If that happens to go further than the other, great.

Short answer - get the one you like better. They are very similar in target player and what they try to do.

Long answer - how are you demoing them? Are you basing it entirely off of hitting full swing indoors off of a mat?

Ideally, before you decide either get at least one session hitting balls outdoors on grass, or make sure you have a full credit return option. You can hit a ball fat off of a mat and get a much different (better) result than off grass. If you do this, the wider sole Ping might work better.

I'd also grab a wedge and maybe an 8 iron from both sets and try a few on the chipping area off of both short and long grass and see if you prefer one or the other.

With irons, distance is nice, but if you hit 10 shots with each and find that one gives you A) 2 all time longest shots ever, 2 long and left, 3 short right and 3 somewhere in between, and the other B) puts 8 of 10 at an average distance 10 yards shorter than the best A) shots, but all within a 20 foot circle, B) is the winner!

I know you are asking about the G25 and the X-Hot, but I had the opportunity to hit the Apex Irons at the Callaway testing and all I can say is wow. Check out the thread for a little more information. If you can wait on them to be released, I would like to see you give them a swing.

Whatever you hit better. I know you need to like looking at what you are gaming but I'd try to go based on results.

thanks for the opinions so far. Just a side note, both golf shops I have been at are steering me away from the ping set. They claim its not a distance club. I have to say they are affecting my opinion in a way. Really pushing Calloway and TM. I have TM burner 2.0 now.

I had the Burner 2.0's and felt my game had out grown the clubs.

The Pings are not distant set but I really didn't lose any distance at all. The Ping G-25 is 3 degrees weaker then the X hots and Taylormade. The sales person may pushing a club because they have contest where he will make extra money.

I went to the PGA Superstore and I got fit. I was playing the Callaway x hot pro Driver and 3 wood, which I really liked. I went in thinking the X Hot Pro irons where the ones I wanted. I hit X hot pro, Rocketbladez, Mizuno Jpx 825, and the Ping G-25's. The Mizuno and Ping clubs where not on my radar at all. I hit the X hot pro and Rocketbladez ok but neither wowed me at all. Then I hit the Mizuno and I was pleasantly suprised. The last was the G-25's and I was blown away. They felt great and I was crushing the ball with 7 Iron. It was carrying around 160-165 and rolling out in the 170's. For me the decision was easy Ping G-25.

You need to go with the club that feels the best. I know $100 is alot of money but if the club isn't the right one, you will be spending way more then $100 to replace them.

Good luck there is no wrong decision on this purchase.

Ping g20 in the mix but didn't really hit the ball far enough comparing.. consistently shorter off the mat.

As someone else pointed-out, ignore the "Ping is not a distance club" argument - it is, but not to the extent of the XHP. You'll hit the G25 a certain distance, and you'll hit the XHP a certain distance. As long as you know what those are, you can effectively pick the right club out of your bag when playing. What would you do in the following situation? Pin is 150 yards. If you hit it close, you have a chance for a personal best score for the round (or win 4 skins, etc). Which Brand/Model club do you want in your hands? (The 150 yards is just an example - you can pick another yardage.)

They are both fantastic clubs, as you see I have the XHots, but the G25's would no doubt have been my 2nd choice, I have a few friends who went with the G25's and are very happy

There must be one of the two that brings a little more sparkle to your eye than the other. If money isn't a factor, go with that one. If you really can't decide, save the $100 go XHot and put the extra toward a hybrid, balls or nice bag to match.

Having just gone from Ping's to the X Hot irons this year, I say go with the Callaway's. I've never been happier with a bag of clubs and I've owned a bunch in the past 35 years.

I did like me some X Hot's. I ended up with the Mizuno 825s though since I didn't feel like cutting the X Hot's a smidge to fit me better, just a picky personal thing. I know it may really not be, but for some reason the sole of the G25 just seems chunkier (esp towards the toe) for my liking. I'd venture to guess the X Hot's might have better resale value of the 3 based on the price point and target players.

What do either of these clubs do that the burners don't? What benefit are you expecting to get from either the Callaway or the Ping? The reason I ask is that if you are not happy with the accuracy you're getting from the burners it could be because that it can be argued that they are the original distance club of their generation. Longer shafts and lower lofts generally add up to less accuracy.

Before you pull the trigger. Take your current club with you to hit at the same time you demo new stuff. You might find it there isn't much of a difference in how they perform for you. Now you may still decide that you've got the new club itch, and that's fine. Or you may decide your money is better spent on lessons, practice, playing, or a different club than new irons.

I think if you are looking for a distance only club you wont find it. The clubs wont hit it far by themselves. Choose the one you hit more consistent with or the ones that just feel better on more shots. You do that and hit them in the screws everytime your so called non distance club will hit just as far. I got fit last summer for the first time after playing for 20 years, why I waited so long I dont know. I hit several irons and did not even pay attention how far they were going, I was paying attention to how straight, ball flight, and most important to me was how they felt when I hit them. It came down to Mizuno and Ping. They both felt great and the guy said he could get them to match my specs the closest with either of those two brands. I was hitting the ping more consistently in the sweetspot than all the others so they ordered me a set of Ping I-20's. Best golf purchase ever for me. I did not ask price on any of them until I had chose what I wanted. The fitting guy told me most people ask price question first. Get what feels the best. Just my opinion.

All things being equal (distance shouldn't be paramount in iron selection as stated above), is there one that you simply look at and like better? If so, buy that one.

I'm partial to Pings, and have owned Eye2's, Callaway X12's, Mizuno's, Big Bertha's, and my current Ping G10's. At a fitting early this year I demo'd the G25's, and the fitter could see little difference in performance from the G10's to the G25's. Ping's hold their value, and they hold their "performance." I see a lot of "older" Ping irons in good players' bags, which tells me they still perform.

I know you are asking about the G25 and the X-Hot, but I had the opportunity to hit the Apex Irons at the Callaway testing and all I can say is wow. Check out the thread for a little more information. If you can wait on them to be released, I would like to see you give them a swing.

The OP's sig says 36 hcp. Do you think the Apexes are good for that level?

Most of what I've read about them suggests mid-cap and below.

Back