Ping Irons or Callaway?

The OP's sig says 36 hcp. Do you think the Apexes are good for that level?

Most of what I've read about them suggests mid-cap and below.

That's the default handicap on the forum. He might be a 36

I like the Callaways over the Ping.

I'd be careful about the distance club talk IMO; you want the one with the tightest dispersion and the one you hit the most consistently. If that happens to go further than the other, great.
This! I would rather hit a 9 iron that went 140 for me all the time than say a 9 iron that I could hit 165 on a pure shot when the stars aligned but that was not the average distance. It really is about the least amount of dispersion on various quality of shots that helps us dial in to a good distance.

I would go with the Callaway.

never tried ping but had callaway previously and they make great irons no doubt

Yes I am approx a 20 hdcp. Let me explain, I hit both the xhots and the g25. Both 6 irons. The pings felt nicer by just a sligHt amount. But the screen said I only hit the ping 147 yards and the xhot 187 (averages) with my burners I am 150 yes consistent with my 7 iron. So the xhots seemed very HOT. Dispersion was pretty much the same with the pings being a little straighter. My thought is if I went xhot my swing could be more relaxed without losing distance instead of my problem of trying to always crush the ball. But the pings just felt a little nicer. Both golfsmith and golf galaxy started to steer me away from ping and tried to sell me on Tm speed blades and callaway xhots.

semi the distance gap between the xhot and g25 seem quite huge IMO and not right unless your swing varied that much or you spin and launch #'s were way off with your 2.0's and the g25. where you hitting on a sim or launch monitor?

I'd check local shop that have a range or a course with a range and see what you get distance wise outside or ask one of the stores if you can borrow a club to take to the range.

I'd go with what ever I hit the most consistent, controlled my miss the best and had the tightest dispersion. Distance means nothing if you can't control where you hit the ball.

agree 100% with this.
Welcome to THP.

Pers preference, I liked the g25 better than the x hot irons. The finish suited my eye better. I thought both were solid performers. The x hots really launched the ball and have some really good distance. But to me the redesign of the G series won me over of those 2.

Which iron do you like better?

Can't choose for you... but, for me it would most definitely be PING. And I would verbally challenge salesmen who claim Ping isn't a distance club. One other consideration is if you plan to have whichever you buy fitted. You will hit them different once fitted and they will take adjusting to. But you should hit them straighter and further at that point.

semi the distance gap between the xhot and g25 seem quite huge IMO and not right unless your swing varied that much or you spin and launch #'s were way off with your 2.0's and the g25. where you hitting on a sim or launch monitor?

I'd check local shop that have a range or a course with a range and see what you get distance wise outside or ask one of the stores if you can borrow a club to take to the range.

I'd go with what ever I hit the most consistent, controlled my miss the best and had the tightest dispersion. Distance means nothing if you can't control where you hit the ball.

standard launch monitor at golfsmith. I know, I was surprised as well. Spin rates were almost the same on both clubs. but he said I was 30 yrds more on a consistent basis with the callaway. I swung both clubs over 8 times each with the same swing basically.

Yes I am approx a 20 hdcp. Let me explain, I hit both the xhots and the g25. Both 6 irons. The pings felt nicer by just a sligHt amount. But the screen said I only hit the ping 147 yards and the xhot 187 (averages) with my burners I am 150 yes consistent with my 7 iron. So the xhots seemed very HOT. Dispersion was pretty much the same with the pings being a little straighter. My thought is if I went xhot my swing could be more relaxed without losing distance instead of my problem of trying to always crush the ball. But the pings just felt a little nicer. Both golfsmith and golf galaxy started to steer me away from ping and tried to sell me on Tm speed blades and callaway xhots.

If you can repeat that experience consistently Callaway would probably GIVE you a set of Xhots if they could use your story!

Now a couple of points. One, the industry standard demo club is a 6i. Ping chooses to go with 7i. That could account for maybe 15 yds of difference.

That still leaves a 25 yard difference, and that's still a lot. For most amateur golfers, a 187 yd 6i is a LOT. Even if you were fit perfectly for the XHots, and as horribly as could be for the Pings and your current clubs, that's still a big yardage difference on a 6i. People would kill to gain that with a driver.

I'm a big Callaway fan. Over most of my golf lifetime my bag has probably been around 3/4 Callaway. But something doesn't sound right.

I agree.

my stats were

xhot 6i - 178,186,187 on the monitor with a ball speed of 121,123,126
Ping 6i - 142, 147,149 on the monitor with a ball speed of 110,115,114

I forget the spin rates, but there were within 200 rpm. now I hit my burner 7i a consistent 150 yrds which is what surprised me about the ping. My burner 7i has more distance than the ping 6i per the monitor.

Ping Irons or Callaway?

This was touched on in a prior post, but are you sure it was a G25 6iron? If you were hitting demos or out of the fitting cart, you were hitting a g25 7iron. Callaway and most OEMS provide 6irons for demo, while Ping and a few others provide 7irons. Unless you were hitting clubs off the wall or a used set, this would explain some of the distance gap.

Despite the difference in the numbers above, I don't think you can go wrong with pings. I'm a ping guy, and every time I try something different, I end up coming back to pings.

Haven't hit the X-Hots. G25's were pretty good. Not the longest or most forgiving in their class, but they are still quite good and have a (relatively) smallish top line. Felt pretty good as well. The progressive sole is a neat feature that should be popular.

I am an XHot gamer, second set of irons since I started playing again after a 12 year layoff this past June. They are working very well for me so far. I did not hit the Pings, though I did try several other OEM. Just about anything in the Game Improvement catagory will be similar. Best bet is do what you are doing, hit some sets and go with your gut. Best of luck.

I am an xhot gamer, and they are a great set of irons. Good forgiveness, long, and easy to hit. I would confirm that you are comparing oranges to oranges (ie. using a 6i or 7i from both sets), because others have pointed a 40 yard gap is quite big. But if their the same iron, how can you leave 40 yds on the table?? Either way go with the clubs you like and feel most comfortable with. When I was in the market in replacing my Adams A12OS came down to Rocketbladez and Xhots, went with Xhots since I got a good deal on them.

Correction, visited golfsmith and he told me he made a mistake and that I was hitting the G20 against the xhot. Bought the G25's today as they just felt so much better to me. Thanks for all the help with this. The xhot still hit furthest however by 7 yards on average.

Congrats on the new irons. You are going to love them. I game the g-25 5-pw. It is a really great set of clubs. Hit them long and straight.

The Xhot 6 iron is 26 degrees, 37.75 inches long and the Ping G256 iron is 29 degrees and 37.25 inches long.

this would explain the difference in yardage.

I know you said Ping vs Cally but did you by chance hit the Mizuno 825? I demoed them all and the 825 was the clear winner

I really wanted to get the G25 irons. I hit them at a demo day and seemed to hit them well. However, when I went to a club fitter, it was a different story. i tried 4 different brands of clubs and the ones I could hit consistently well were the X-hots. And I own a set of Zing2 irons-I really wanted to stay with them. I got the clubs in May and have been very happy. I am a 18 handicapper and after spending some time with them I find that I am generally a club longer than where I was before. They are very forgiving (just try and hit a cut shot) but I like the setup as they aren't near as big as the Zings. They get the ball up which can be both good and bad. I addition to the irons, check out the x-hot hybrid and the 3 deep 3 wood too. Bottom line is try a variety of club and get what works for you. Hopefully your choice will stay true as your game improves as well.
Looking at new irons now. Hitting both of these pretty good on the screen but do like one of them slightly better. Looking for opinions

Ping G25 or Calloway Xhot irons

Ping g20 in the mix but didn't really hit the ball far enough comparing.. consistently shorter off the mat.

Back