Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
Anyone any idea why Ping insist retailers charge for shipping on their gear? Surely it the retailer that takes the hit, not Ping. I’m looking at moving to their wedges, I’m probably going to have to order them online, but it sucks having to fork out the 25 dollar shipping charge or whatever it is, when usually, shipping is free if you spend over a certain amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My retailer/ fitter had my irons shipped direct to my home. I just looked at the invoice, and shipping says $0.00. So Ping does not insist they charge shipping.

My retailer/ fitter had my irons shipped direct to my home. I just looked at the invoice, and shipping says $0.00. So Ping does not insist they charge shipping.

Better not mention the name - Ping will get him. From what I heard, they require retailers who do not charge for shipping, to charge shipping so everyone is playing the same game. I don't like it either.

I've never understood the whole thing with companies requiring their retailers to sell for a certain amount, charge shipping, etc. If Ping gets their $XXX out of a club (or set), then why do they care if the retailer sells them for $XXX + $1 or $XXX + $1,000? Charge no shipping or charge $25 shipping? If their required minimum price is $XXX + $200 and they require the retailer to charge $25 shipping, then what would be the difference in the retailer just charging $XXX + $225 or charging $XXX + $150 + $75 shipping? Heck, if the retailer has a set of clubs they decide the want to move to reduce inventory, why should Ping care if they sell them for $XXX - $1? Ping is getting the same amount and now there is another set of Pings out there in the world and on the course.

Furthermore, for the businesses that sell Ping and have to abide by the "don't sell them less than $XXX + $YYY price, when they want to put them on sale, why don't they just sell them for the $XXX + $YYY and offer a gift card for future use for $ZZ?

If you order 10 clubs or one club, its $6.99 where I live. I've never seen it discounted

I've never understood the whole thing with companies requiring their retailers to sell for a certain amount, charge shipping, etc. If Ping gets their $XXX out of a club (or set), then why do they care if the retailer sells them for $XXX + $1 or $XXX + $1,000? Charge no shipping or charge $25 shipping? If their required minimum price is $XXX + $200 and they require the retailer to charge $25 shipping, then what would be the difference in the retailer just charging $XXX + $225 or charging $XXX + $150 + $75 shipping? Heck, if the retailer has a set of clubs they decide the want to move to reduce inventory, why should Ping care if they sell them for $XXX - $1? Ping is getting the same amount and now there is another set of Pings out there in the world and on the course.

Furthermore, for the businesses that sell Ping and have to abide by the "don't sell them less than $XXX + $YYY price, when they want to put them on sale, why don't they just sell them for the $XXX + $YYY and offer a gift card for future use for $ZZ?

They can't do that in conjunction with anything Ping. OR Ping cuts them off for a year or two from selling Ping. Ping will find out and most retailers do not take that chance. You cannot do any separate Ping promotion unless it's a Ping sponsored promo.

If you order 10 clubs or one club, its $6.99 where I live. I've never seen it discounted

The place I was looking at wanted $25 for shipping! Sounds like they are inflating the price. For $6.99, I wouldn’t have even bothered starting the thread LOL.

The place I was looking at wanted $25 for shipping! Sounds like they are inflating the price. For $6.99, I wouldn’t have even bothered starting the thread LOL.

I don't know anywhere that ships a set of irons for $6.99 unless they are taking a hit. I've seen between $15-20 as the lowest amount. $25 is not unheard of when you think about packing/handling. I ship USPS and UPS and that's about the rate.

They can't do that in conjunction with anything Ping. OR Ping cuts them off for a year or two from selling Ping. Ping will find out and most retailers do not take that chance. You cannot do any separate Ping promotion unless it's a Ping sponsored promo.

So, don't do it "in conjunction". Not hard to do really. Plenty of places have the "add to cart for price" because they, presumably, can't advertise that price. Just make a gift cart automatically show up in the cart when a Ping product is purchased.

Not saying that this ever happens but a person could trade in an old club worth maybe $10 and get a $50 credit on your purchase. Just saying... ;)

just checked global golf and shipping is 4.39 and golf discount is free over 99.00

So, don't do it "in conjunction". Not hard to do really. Plenty of places have the "add to cart for price" because they, presumably, can't advertise that price. Just make a gift cart automatically show up in the cart when a Ping product is purchased.

I'm a lover, not a fighter. Just telling you that Ping will catch any promo with one of its products and will ban the seller. I've seen these threads for almost 20 years. It's the same old story - I've known accounts that Ping suspended. The retailer just gets a letter of a few lines saying essentially "you are fired."

I'm a lover, not a fighter. Just telling you that Ping will catch any promo with one of its products and will ban the seller. I've seen these threads for almost 20 years. It's the same old story - I've known accounts that Ping suspended. The retailer just gets a letter of a few lines saying essentially "you are fired."

I'd think that'd be a tough move if it was a higher volume seller. Maybe the little guys, but why would they shoot themselves into the foot?

I'd think that'd be a tough move if it was a higher volume seller. Maybe the little guys, but why would they shoot themselves into the foot?

They have high volume sellers and they've cut them off before. Why? Because Ping is Ping. That's just the way it is. Life, like love, doesn't make sense at times.

They have high volume sellers and they've cut them off before. Why? Because Ping is Ping. That's just the way it is. Life, like love, doesn't make sense at times.
It was not that many years ago that Titleist pulled everything out of PGA Tour Superstores, ball, clubs, everything! I think that lasted about a year but it could have been shorter.

Check it on TGW. Its the same shipping rate I've always paid and I have an entire bag of Ping clubs. I would have questioned the sales person

I wonder what they'd do if all their retailers got together to advertise below their stipulated minimums?

Back