Flipit

Aka- ApexFan
Reaction score
Handicap
This will be an ongoing review of the PlaneMate swing trainer. Feel free to participate if you are also using one.

I received my PlaneMate yesterday. I did half of the day 1 protocol because I walked 18 and it is a bit of a workout to be honest. I just finished the full day one protocol this morning. It is a workout for sure. The resistance band really lets you feel the muscles being worked compared to just practicing the same movement without it.

Second, it did what they said it would. I was chipping very consistently into the net. I used this time to experiment a bit with ball placement to see the difference in flight, or the height each entered the net.
Now while it’s tempting to move on to the next phase I will follow the plan and wait until tomorrow. I will do another set of these later today. It definitely gets me rotating more on these short shots, which is an issue I have on the course. Not rotating with my lower body leaves undesirable results far to often.
The entire workout took maybe 20-25 minutes.

I got the Plane Mate for Father’s Day. One of the things i struggle with is a top dominant swing. This has helped me understand two key parts to weaknesses i have. Note: I have had several different Teaching Pros all try to get me to physically understand both of these.

1. Proper lower dominance in the swing (getting the arms to be more passive).
2. The feeling of the club on/below plane and rotating to ”collect the ball” and square the face.

I ran through the first week pretty fast, and I keep going back to the first 3 days in warm ups and practice. This is a major feel difference for me. This has helped my short game the most! Really allows for better control and consistency under 100yds all the way to the edge of the green.

On to day 2. Much like day one except one handed. I noticed my arms (on day 1) wanting to bend on the follow through way to soon. The movements combined with the band are training me to keep in position as I rotate through the swing. Again feel is good and a bit of a work out with the tension.

Following this. I have mine, I have half heartedly done day 1 a while back and keep meaning to get back to it. Especially after my last four disastrous rounds!

So I’m into I think it’s day 4. Swinging or actually rotating from the inside. It actually feels really good when I do it correctly. It’s gonna take some reps to get this one. I am still going back and repeating some of the previous day. I really
Like the program, but I think it moves through to quickly. More days working on the moves and rotations will ingrain it better. At least for me. Now if we are talking chipping, that has gotten really good just off the first few moves, although I repeat the routine daily right now.

will be following this! ive had mine for 3 weeks and pretty lazy with the proper protocols.... but for range sessions I also start off with day 1 so ive got that done about 9 times now.

its crazy, even just from practicing the small takeaway with the body it transitions into my full swing as soon as I take it off

I have not moved on from the inside out move yet. What I did notice today on the course is now I’m hitting some draws. That’s a great thing for a guy that was a slicer. Chipping was pretty solid.

A buddy, @Doubleb21, highly recommends this device and training. I'm in strong ponder mode.

A buddy, @Doubleb21, highly recommends this device and training. I'm in strong ponder mode.
I’ll back it up. Seems to be helping me in a lot of areas. Chipping is golden since using it. That makes it worth it alone.

JumboMax really improved my chipping. I feel the same with that; worth the price of admission. I've watched the videos for PlaneMate, they make a lot of sense as to what I do wrong. I'll keep an eye on your journey with this system.

JumboMax really improved my chipping. I feel the same with that; worth the price of admission. I've watched the videos for PlaneMate, they make a lot of sense as to what I do wrong. I'll keep an eye on your journey with this system.
I’m doing it much slower than the videos dictate. Some I’ll do and move through, others I believe take more time. The biggest thing I see is the take away at this point. My take away is miles better and it’s translating to better swings.

I’m doing it much slower than the videos dictate. Some I’ll do and move through, others I believe take more time. The biggest thing I see is the take away at this point. My take away is miles better and it’s translating to better swings.
that is the first thing I need to improve too.

Update, another week has passed and I continue to work on the Planemate workouts. I’m still doing a lot of the allowing the club head to fall back and come from the inside. It’s very exaggerated with the band hooked up. But when I’m playing without it the effect seems good. Not where I want it yet, but I’m a flipper and I’d guess it will take time and effort to rid myself of that bad habit. Tied my second best score yesterday, mostly due to my 3 wood and irons.

Wedge work - awesome!!! The only mistake I have made was trying to take the “mechanics” on course. Really messed me up trying to play with the exaggerated motions (especially shutting the face down on take away). I went back to my feel thoughts but practice swing incorporate more of the final swing mechanic.

I love this aide! It has helped to understand what a half dozen teaching pros have tried to get me to feel and understand.

I’m a big fan of the planemate. I’ve struggled with cutting across the ball since I first started playing. I’ve worked on it and taken lessons and even though the big slice has mostly been eliminated, I couldn’t hit a draw to save my life.

I bought the plane mate last year and really got into it once lockdown started. It’s been a game changer. I’m hitting about a club further and it’s made my swing much more neutral with a penetrating ball flight instead of a high soft fade or slice on bad swings. My misses are now still around the same distance just a bit off line (minus fat shots). My handicap has dropped a few strokes since using the plane mate and swing speed golf. I’ve even hit a few baby draws. I recommended it to a friend and you can already see the improvement in his game.

Well I took a couple weeks off from practicing with the Planemate. Needed to work on some other issues that came up. Well my once stellar chipping showed a few kinks this week. So back to the Planemate for chipping practice. If nothing else works it’s worth the money for chipping alone. Although I do think the full swing will come around in time.

Really like this thing. I haven't purchased one yet, but my instructor has started me with it the past two lessons. He hasn't made me go through protocols, but has instead just had me go through the motions we were doing previously, just with the planemate on. Been working great. The ghost feeling of swinging with it off is interesting. I'll be ordering one here soon...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I watched a video on this... how intuitive is it to use? Before I consider this one, I want to make sure that I’ll be able to use it correctly without requiring an instructor guiding me?

From this: Tour Striker PlaneMate 7-Day Protocol, it looks pretty intuitive, @Boone.

I'm not going to run right out (virtually speaking) and buy one of these right away, but I think I'm definitely going to have one by the time the season starts up again next spring. Hopefully, it'll get me back up to speed (FSVO "speed") more quickly.

I watched a video on this... how intuitive is it to use? Before I consider this one, I want to make sure that I’ll be able to use it correctly without requiring an instructor guiding me?
It’s not hard to use at all. It includes the step by step video access. As mentioned earlier, the chipping improvements I’ve made using this is worth the price alone.

I have no interest in the chipping aspect (very happy with my short game) but I would like to improve my full swing with longer clubs. Looks interesting...

Pretty pricey for a belt and some bungee cords though :)

It’s not hard to use at all. It includes the step by step video access. As mentioned earlier, the chipping improvements I’ve made using this is worth the price alone.
I bought mine used here from a member, and how do I get that video access?

Back