Planet observations

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone like to look at the planets or the moon? Mars is the closest it will be to earth tonight until 2035. Easily seen thru a small telescope. As we approach fall/winter here in the Northern hemisphere it is easier to see as the sky clears considerably.

This a good site to find what you can see.

Shame it’s overcast here tonight... oh well - it’ll keep the heat in so I can play golf tomorrow!

Venus was visible in the night sky for the spring here in Ohio. It was out just as my boys would be getting ready for bed, so I'd let them find it each night when it was clear. They got so excited to see a planet, and even the stars right now. To see the wonder in a kid is such a great thing!

I had a neighbor give us an old telescope, but both nights I got it out clouds ruined our adventure. Until next time!

Every now and again we will drive out into the country to get away from the city lights and take the telescope. Huge difference from being here in town, but you can still see some of them very well.

Every now and again we will drive out into the country to get away from the city lights and take the telescope. Huge difference from being here in town, but you can still see some of them very well.
One of my favorits parts of living in the country now, looking up an seeing so many stars. Something I missed when we were in apartments shortly after getting married.

According to NASA, Mars is only 38.6 million miles away. So even though I wear glasses, I feel like my eyesight is pretty good if I can see that far. ;)

Yep... my grandfather taught me how to use binocs years ago for astronomy. Always enjoyed looking at space. Being able to view Saturn with it’s rings on edge is breathtaking...

I use the Skyview app on my phone to identify objects. Even shows space junk in orbit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love looking at the night sky. I could sit outside and just look up at the sky all night. Not that I'm able to pick much out besides the Big Dipper, but I do enjoy it!

Yep... my grandfather taught me how to use binocs years ago for astronomy. Always enjoyed looking at space. Being able to view Saturn with it’s rings on edge is breathtaking...

I use the Skyview app on my phone to identify objects. Even shows space junk in orbit!

Amazing the simple things we can see and learn.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to build my own telescope from the Edmund Scientific catalog. Never got around to it, but with grandkids local, there may be a fairly portable one in our future.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to build my own telescope from the Edmund Scientific catalog. Never got around to it, but with grandkids local, there may be a fairly portable one in our future.
My wife picked one up at Barnes and Noble for about $80 and works great. Nice tripod and sets up in about 2 minutes.

Just took a look at Mars. Such a nice night out, with Mars and the Moon shining bright on this clear night. Thanks @Snickerdog !

I like to look at the night sky. Yeah Mars is pretty bright right now. Not as bright as 2003. It was very very bright then and you could see it was red.

According to NASA, Mars is only 38.6 million miles away. So even though I wear glasses, I feel like my eyesight is pretty good if I can see that far. ;)

Milk. Respect.

Weird... I read it will be Dec. 8, 2022 when its next closest... maybe 2035 for even closer...?
Not sure was just going off the article I saw.

Love when we get away from the city and go to VT/NH and can stare at the sky whether it’s planets constellations or stars

I almost always find myself looking up when I'm out at night. However, this time of year is somewhat depressing as the stars of winter are clearly visible in the Northern Hemisphere night sky. I have been fortunate enough to attend "star parties" hosted by a local amateur astronomers club. At those I have witnessed the heavens with some decent refractor telescopes.

If you can get far enough away from light pollution, the sky can be spectacular. As for seeing Mars, whatever the distance it is from earth, it is the 5th brightest object in the sky when viewed from Earth. (Sun, Moon, Venus, Jupiter).

It’s kind of nice on clear lights down here, it’s pretty easy to see Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. The last few nights though, Mars has had a bit of a red(or more red really) tint to it so it makes it even easier to spot on clear nights.

If you can get far enough away from light pollution, the sky can be spectacular. As for seeing Mars, whatever the distance it is from earth, it is the 5th brightest object in the sky when viewed from Earth. (Sun, Moon, Venus, Jupiter).
Good stuff!!!!

Mars was wonderful last night. My wife and I recently move to a new home in the country, our level of light pollution as greatly improved. Our planisphere and binoculars will get plenty of use this winter.

Thought I would bump this as Mars is just above the moon tonight and has great visibility.
If you look in the SW (lower left quadrant) you can see a very visible black spot that is pretty large.

Back