Planet observations

Looking like a crescent now.

72A22B95-DCC2-4ED3-AD42-AE8C8D7D787F.jpeg

3F0EB64A-4253-40FA-B6C4-23FE087E161C.jpeg

Saw the eclipse the moment the earth blocked the light through binoculars. Here in NE Georgia we got the orange, reddish effect right after that happened. Too many trees to watch it much past 11:30 pm. Eastern Time.

Pretty cool.

B49461E4-482F-4C14-ADDF-5CEB0A1F1F07.jpeg

watched at about 11-11:30 cool to see the covering although never got the red ... it happened about 12:30...

Had a really good view of the full eclipse. Red color was visible with the naked eye, but much more pronounced when looking through binoculars. Either way, very cool to see the moon go through the phases in the matter of an hour.

I had an ok view of the blood moon but the light pollution is real here in Minneapolis metro with almost 4 million people.

I bought a telescope a few years ago and am a novice star gazer up at our cabin where the light pollution is almost non existent.

When I used to have a telescope, I mostly liked to look at the moon. The seeing isn't great in my neighborhood, we're inside the "heat dome" of a decent sized metro area so it's rare to find a time when the air is steady enough for really high magnification. I have tracked the weather on Jupiter for a few nights in a row a couple times and I could just about make out some color variation on Mars during one of the conjunctions 15-20 years ago.

But I got rid of the telescope after going at least a decade without even setting it up. I do sometimes miss spending a few hours watching shadows changing on the floor of various lunar craters. If you pick a few areas and get really familiar (my favorites were near the south lunar pole) it's amazing how the subtle details of shadow differ from night to night.

Back