Play Ballyhack #15

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This weeks hole in the Dormie Network newsletter is a fun one.

The par five fifteenth drops over one hundred feet in elevation from tee to green and gives the player many routes to the hole. With the prevailing wind usually against, the player can elect to hit a shorter drive in front of the daunting “chasm”. This will lead to a short layup, or a longer but more direct second over the hazard to a very generous landing area. This green is the other half of the thirteenth and is generous in size in the front but gets very narrow towards the back. Avoid the “divide” between the greens and birdies will be plentiful.

5A94B50B-F98F-4C65-B763-CA5C68F79143.gif

Remember this hole well. @AT_CG went long onto that bottom fairway off the tee and got home in 2, @smgoldstein went driver, then laid up to the end of the top fairway, and was about 10 feet away after his 3rd. Beautiful hole.

I think you take their direction, and play it as a 3 shot Par 5.

I think you take their direction, and play it as a 3 shot Par 5.
Was the route I took for sure. No way I could get there in 2. It is a huge green because it is shared, but you do not want to be on the wrong side.

Needs more greenside bunkers. 🤣

Left side drive, layup away from trouble, then short iron/wedge to the green.

That looks fun. I think I'd try and play it left and go for it in 3. No need to screw it up and end up in the "divide".

Well obviously I pull hood the drive into that tall thick stuff on the left. Punch it out, chunk 3 into the water, drop 4, leave 5 short, chip on and 2 putt for my 8.

Ideally I would hit driver or 3W to the left center of the fairway, then lay back with 7 or 8 to leave 130-40 in then PW or GW on close enough for a realistic birdie look.

Well obviously I pull hood the drive into that tall thick stuff on the left. Punch it out, chunk 3 into the water, drop 4, leave 5 short, chip on and 2 putt for my 8.
Hey that feels familiar 🤣

This hole really sticks out as a special one from the overhead satellite view that I've been looking at way too much over the past 2 months. Seems like it's got some room over the chasm and should be a green light, but noticed nearly everyone was laying up even after monster drives in the last event.

With everyone getting new drivers and fairway woods in the Titleist Experience next month, I've got to imagine going for this green in 2 will be a popular option - so that's how I'm planning to play it. Show off those new clubs - let's see some eagle putts!

I love that the walkthrough video says a "short drive" then shows 277 as the yardage off the tee for the first ball. :ROFLMAO:

I'm going left and playing it 3 shots to the green. Try to be smart and not get fancy with it, and it looks like it's one I might actually be able to par.

This hole really sticks out as a special one from the overhead satellite view that I've been looking at way too much over the past 2 months. Seems like it's got some room over the chasm and should be a green light, but noticed nearly everyone was laying up even after monster drives in the last event.

With everyone getting new drivers and fairway woods in the Titleist Experience next month, I've got to imagine going for this green in 2 will be a popular option - so that's how I'm planning to play it. Show off those new clubs - let's see some eagle putts!
Be long and accurate and its yours to take. Getting off the tee safely is priority at Ballyhack, if you are in the crap off the tee it's going to be a long hole. If you stay clean off the tee then you can have success.

Be long and accurate and its yours to take. Getting off the tee safely is priority at Ballyhack, if you are in the crap off the tee it's going to be a long hole. If you stay clean off the tee then you can have success.
How fast are the greens? I play munis with pretty slows greens, so putting isnt much of an issue. But I'd imagine Ballyhack has pretty quick greens that could turn some easy two putts into alot of 3 putt holes.

I’m going to the right then hitting a nice 2h in. If it’s hit perfect I’m putting for eagle. If it comes up a little short I have an easy chip and putt for birdie. If the pin is back left, I’m just hoping for par and move on.
5BA101E1-83FA-44A2-A1E6-F651DD6E2EB8.jpeg

Whatever the aggressive line is, that's the line I'm taking.

How fast are the greens? I play munis with pretty slows greens, so putting isnt much of an issue. But I'd imagine Ballyhack has pretty quick greens that could turn some easy two putts into alot of 3 putt holes.
Pretty quick and they have a lot of undulating areas and ridges.

I had an inclination to just bail out left each time on this hole for some reason. In reality, I think the sensible play is down the right side with a couple fairly basic shots.

It just has a different presence off the tee.

I had an inclination to just bail out left each time on this hole for some reason. In reality, I think the sensible play is down the right side with a couple fairly basic shots.

It just has a different presence off the tee.
Think our forecaddy also strongly recommend going left. Could have played into it.

Is it in-course OB to use the 14th fairway to cut the corner??

Is it in-course OB to use the 14th fairway to cut the corner??
I think there's a big tree blocking that route.

1661890699183.png

Back