Play Ballyhack #15

Is it in-course OB to use the 14th fairway to cut the corner??

LOL exactly what I was thinking. Hit a nice 270 yard drive down there and you only have 200 into the green!

If not, I'm hitting driver to the right side and hoping I don't run out of fairway with the downhill. Then I have another 230 or so over the junk to the front of the green - take fairway wood and try to hit a good one to have a prayer at an eagle try!

No, but it would not be wise : )
Haha I’ve been known to make unwise decisions on the course so… 🤣

D, 8i, PW seems prudent.

And disappointing.

Is a 3 shot hole for me so probably conservative off the tee, layup shot and hope I can stick a wedge close... lots of options and since I'd choose to play conservative I'm sure I'd double bogie the hole :mad:

Haha I’ve been known to make unwise decisions on the course so… 🤣
Between the heavy rough, heather and tree close by song with a super tough angle, I’m not sure it would make much sense. But I’m sure someone will try it at one of our experiences there

From the looks of the fly over, it’s not that bad and @Golfers Anonymous can vouch for the fact I can find a way over most trees 😅

I'd vouch for you if you had hit the Dustin Johnson training school hut but you came up short at 330 yard carry. So I am going to have to dispute this one. :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Between the heavy rough, heather and tree close by song with a super tough angle, I’m not sure it would make much sense. But I’m sure someone will try it at one of our experiences there

I would. ;)

I guess I would ask why? If you are long enough, go with driver and something else and have a clean lie to knock it on or close. Why play out of the crazy thick stuff with no benefit? You lose all of the roll out from the downhill slope.

Then again, course management gets unique for some at THP Experiences haha

The landing area on the right is semi-blind off the tee so is more visually intimidating than the actual shot. I don’t have that firepower so I played it driver, 9 iron, 9 iron if I recall.

The landing area on the right is semi-blind off the tee so is more visually intimidating than the actual shot. I don’t have that firepower so I played it driver, 9 iron, 9 iron if I recall.
Sounds right, your firepower is accuracy and consistency it was very fun to watch. Only time you were in the rough is when I put us there in alt shot :(

34E35BD5-F043-451A-BAD1-F872585AF5CA.jpeg
The reason I’d do it is that it’s only hybrid-hybrid on this line with a significantly better approach and 20-30 yards shorter

I guess I would ask why? If you are long enough, go with driver and something else and have a clean lie to knock it on or close. Why play out of the crazy thick stuff with no benefit? You lose all of the roll out from the downhill slope.

Then again, course management gets unique for some at THP Experiences haha

All things change when you actually stand on the team but from looking at the overview and the layout and if I am looking for the easiest way to get there in 2 assuming its doable, I'd hit driver. That chasm looks like the perfect distance to swallow up a drive ( depending on Tee choice ) and the fairway options on either side are not the widest. Looking right down 14, a lot more foregiveness and bigger landing zone to get you that bit closer.

If I was playing smart, probably more like a 3 wood to the right side of the chasm.

But depending on the situation and conditions, I'd absolutely be considering down 14 as an option. Wouldn't be the first time i've taken 'crazy' lines off tees.

Take that with a grain of salt as I am going off of google maps and drone video. :D

View attachment 9116585
The reason I’d do it is that it’s only hybrid-hybrid on this line with a significantly better approach and 20-30 yards shorter
It’s possible. You are dealing with a much smaller landing area to bring in some nasty lies in exchange for 20 or so yards of approach.

Like I said I’m sure someone will try it. I hope I’m playing them in match play at the time.

It’s possible. You are dealing with a much smaller landing area to bring in some nasty lies in exchange for 20 or so yards of approach.

Like I said I’m sure someone will try it. I hope I’m playing them in match play at the time.

Is the 14th fairway narrower than the landing zones on either side of the chasm on 15? Looks more open but maybe that's just a decieving eye line?

With my normal cut, I likely hybrid to the lower fairway. With headwind, a nice 7 layup from there and chip/pitch onto the green.

Is the 14th fairway narrower than the landing zones on either side of the chasm on 15? Looks more open but maybe that's just a decieving eye line?

I think it's doable.

bh15.2.jpg

Driver, layup to the beginning of the second fairway then play it like a Par 3 to a long green leaving the bunkers alone.

This weeks hole in the Dormie Network newsletter is a fun one.

The par five fifteenth drops over one hundred feet in elevation from tee to green and gives the player many routes to the hole. With the prevailing wind usually against, the player can elect to hit a shorter drive in front of the daunting “chasm”. This will lead to a short layup, or a longer but more direct second over the hazard to a very generous landing area. This green is the other half of the thirteenth and is generous in size in the front but gets very narrow towards the back. Avoid the “divide” between the greens and birdies will be plentiful.

View attachment 9116545
Played probably my best hole of GOAT CUP on No. 15 and 3-putted to lose my match to @JB (who obv played it even better). I went big slicing driver to left-center of fairway, 7i to layup zone, 7i onto the green — all hit well.

Beautiful hole that gives you choices. I love that.

How fast are the greens? I play munis with pretty slows greens, so putting isnt much of an issue. But I'd imagine Ballyhack has pretty quick greens that could turn some easy two putts into alot of 3 putt holes.
You’re spot on. I wouldn’t call them the fastest greens in the world, but we were playing in wet conditions and they were still way faster than the Muni courses I am used to

One tee box up from the back tees, the white line is 270 yds. The fairway is over 50 yds wide at this point, to the left of the first bunker.

The red line runs out of fairway at 245 yds. This seems like a good option for a short knocker with a pronounced fade off the tee. 🤔

1661895759847.png

One more thing about trying to drive it into the 14th fairway. That fairway has a camber to it so there is a good chance, as a righty, you'll have a sidehill lie-with the ball below your feet and a fairway wood/hybrid in your hand.

Based on the hole images posted in the thread, I would be considering the lower right fairway off the tee, then second shot to the wide area short of the green and leave a wedge to try and get close for a birdie putt, but hope for nothing worse than a par

Back