Play Ballyhack Hole #16

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Hole sixteen at Ballyhack provides an opportunity for feast or famine on the inward nine. The player can bite off as much landing area as he dares, but any shot too far right may go into the Ballybrook that travels the entire length of the hole. The second shot must carry the hazard that cuts across the landing areas. The green is precariously positioned on the end of the feature and appears difficult to hit. One of the more subtle greens on the course, the sixteenth will allow birdies.

Long par 4....wow. I'd have to play at the right bunker and keep it in play vs being aggressive and losing it to the right. Will be a longer iron in, so hoping to hit it well and have a shot at par.

460 from blues per website.

Bomb it right at that 2nd bunker and hope for a little fade. Still probably mid iron in.

That hole suits my eye (we have a couple of dogleg holes the same way at my home course)

Depending on the distance needed, I would be likely be hitting driver at the second bunker on the left side of fairway with my fade, then whatever club is needed for the approach
If the wind is blowing, I would try to adjust for that accordingly

Something I can keep in play off the tee. Probably 5w. Then hybrid or 6 iron from there if it's playing as long as the card says

Wow that is a long hole! I'd take driver at around the center bunker and just hope I don't over draw it. If I hit a good one I'll probably have 170-180 in, which is a 6 or 7 iron to what appears to be a pretty narrow green.

Looks like a tough one!

Fade deliver off the bunkers, hope it doesn't go straight. Depending on result could have anything from a 5i to an 8i in.

Obviously aim for the left side of the green

That green is surrounded by some intimidating sand. I might consider clubbing down very slightly and trying to run it up there, depending on pin location.

I dunno man. I think I’m laying up :LOL:

The narrators voice almost sounds like a regular golf commentator I can't quite put my finger on at the moment. And, those bunkers are s-gnarly. (New word... 🤠).

I'm playing driver and hitting a draw to run against the slope, and to get the shortest approach possible. From there, another draw to the fat of the green. This looks like a TOUGH hole with a long approach in to that green complex. I'll bet that green looks darn narrow from the fairway.

That is a nasty hole! Driver up the left side trying to avoid the bunkers. Then make sure the landing spot is anything middle of the green and to the left to try and avoid the bunker and hazard on the approach shot. Probably a 6 iron in on the approach. Get up and down for par.

Aim driver at the right side of the group of the trees long and left of the landing area to allow for my typical draw. At 460 yards, I would likely have a 3 or 5 wood in depending on how well I hit the drive.

Danger right? 🤬 Umm time to not hit driver and just get home.

I would probably try to get my drive as close to the end of the fairway as possible. If I was struggling with accuracy off the tee that day, I would play short of the bunker and take my chances with a longer approach shot.

3 times I played it, I hit driver all the way down to the edge of the fairway. Easy 9 iron or PW from there. Hit the green all 3 days & made one of the putts because I hit it to 2 feet. 🤯 Very easy to leak one to the right on both shots though. You can be saved by the bunkers surrounding the green though. But then you better be good at sand shots :eek:

That’s a long forced carry off the tee

I'm playing my tee shot left of the tree in the gully and praying that my slice holds the fairway in the 230-245 range. That would leave 230 ish in. Second shot would be a mid iron to stick it somewhere in front of the green. 3rd would be a chip up to the green and then hopefully 2 putt bogey.

This seems like a hole to be sensible on. Find the fairway and green and get out with a par.

"The 16th will allow birdies"

LOL.... "allow"

16th to me.... trying to get in.....

Bang driver. Stick Iron. Leave putt short. Sneak in five footer for par.

If I hit a good approach, if I hit the fairway, if my game behaves, if it only takes 15 holes to 'warm up'. Sure. Birdie.

I'm taking a driver and aiming down the right edge of the fairway with my "don't go right" swing. A shorter iron to the left edge of the green looks to be the safe play for shot #2 - can you get a good kick if you miss a tad left? Either way, I'll be happy with a 2-putt or up-and-down for par.

Unfortunately, my mental game right now has me all over the place, and generally "don't go right" turns into "block it into the hazard". Take a drop, try to be a hero by hitting a cut 4-iron, but instead hit it dead straight into the weeds. Find it, chunk it into the bunker, hit a pretty decent bunker shot that trickles downhill into the other set of bunkers, hit that to 10 feet and 2 putt for an 8. Yep, that sounds about right!

Looks like driver is landing near the widest part of the fairway. I see no other play, so definitely bombing driver. Depending on the roll out from the drive it looks like it could be anywhere from a short to long iron in. That and the pin placement would determine how aggressive I get from there.

That bunker to the right of the green looks treacherous. I’m probably trying to get it as far down as I can with driver while trying to keep the right side out of play as much as I can. I don’t know if I’d want a long iron or hybrid into that green.

Back