Play This Hole with Me!

zbeekner4

Proud 2019 Grandaddy Alum
Reaction score
Handicap
So I wanted to have some fun and walk through how I played this par-4 using my Callaway golf clubs courtesy of THP and the Grandaddy. (There’s not much strategy in this one but it was fun anyways) Let me know how you guys would play it!

Here’s the hole: 358 yard par-4. Plays uphill off the tee and slightly into the wind. It’s actually flat to start and then in between the tree and that dirt area (there’s a significant hill before it flattens out and goes back downhill slightly to the green. If you’re short of that hill, you’ll have a blind shot into the green.

09C39B6B-EC60-4729-85D0-0B4E29575BD4.png

Standing on the tee with the Mavrik SZ 9 degree.

View attachment trim.C45FCEF5-1EE4-4ABA-95AB-CFE97DD694A5.MOV

Slightly over the top/slice move here but a good tempo swing nonetheless. Thanks to @McLovin for helping me dial this driver in so well with the head weights

View attachment IMG_8592.mov

Heres where we ended up for our second shot into the green. IMG_8593.JPG

Waiting for the green to clear to hit my approach with the Jaws MD5 53 degree (I said 54 in the video but its bent to 53!).

Putting for birdie from off the green!
This is where the approach ended up...just off the green but about 10 feet and puttable as you will see.

[SPOILER="Result!"]Missed on the high side by quite a few inches :LOL:[/SPOILER]

Luckily made the 2 foot come-backer for a par. The SL R-Line Arrow during this round was making everything! (Minus this one haha :cautious:)

Hope you guys enjoyed this!

Well like you, Im hitting driver to get up that hill and to have less than 125 into the green. Good drive I should be left with roughly what you had just a tad shorter, a bad hit it will be more around that 115 mark.

Longer than 80 I'm hitting a smooth choked PW. Less than 80 i am going with a feel shot with the old 54.

i think id probably go the route you took.
thanks for sharing the pictures and play by play!

Nice drive 🔥

Nice little play-by-play.

I’m taking the same approach you did. Driver then wedge.

Wish I would’ve been documenting 2 holes later when I eagled the par-5. That would’ve made for better tv :LOL:

Nicely played. You're longer than I am but it's a straight forward par 4 and I'd play it exactly the same way. I'm probably only going to get 230 ish up the hill. From there I'm probably looking at something like PW or 9i in. Thanks for sharing.

Off the tee box I would swing my 16* Srixon H65 hybrid. A well struck tee shot should leave me 140 yards to the green, a 9 or 8 iron approach shot.

Unless the rough is US open rough, I see no reason not to hit driver on this hole. It's wide open on the right, so the aim-line for me is the right edge of the fairway (basically exactly where your ball ended up). As long as I'm very unlikely to hit it into a hazard closer to the hole is always better than farther from the hole. Should have nothing more than a lob wedge into the green.

Well done Zack.
Driver from the tee to 240, leaves me 120. PW to the green and hopefully make my birdie putt.

I don’t have the distance you have, but the hole looks kinda open, so I would go driver off the Tee. Uphill and into the wind a bit probably only gives me a 200-205 drive. Leaving me 153-158 left.

The traps look like they would be in play for me, therefore I am hoping I didn’t get caught in one.

I would play the hole at about 165 left with a bit of wind. Probably use either my 5i or Hybrid depending on wind and if I wanted to make sure I got to the green.

Two putt and it’s par baby.

Heck every shot on paper is a good one. 😁

Love the vids and the play along!

I'd probably play it about the same. Ideally 270 off the tee to the right side of the fairway, 80 yard 58/54 depending on some things, and just try to stick that a little closer and make the putt.

Good par!

I'd be a good 50 yds shorter than you off the tee which would leave me a full 9 iron onto the green which could be short. My 8 iron would likely be long. Chip up, and one putt for par.

Likely driver or 3wd off the tee (depending on how I'm striking it that day), then a short iron for the approach.

Great play, and the vids make the play-along fun! I'd hit driver off the tee, but only about 240 on a good drive, leaving me 118 in. PW to the green (hopefully) and two-putt.

Nice job! And an eagle later? Dude! Sweet.

I'd got driver off the tee... and my shot would go 180 yards or so... probably short of the hill so second shot is my 5 iron for around 150 yards to give me a shortish chip to the green which I duff and wind up hitting a third shot onto the green and 3 putt.

Nice job! And an eagle later? Dude! Sweet.

I'd got driver off the tee... and my shot would go 180 yards or so... probably short of the hill so second shot is my 5 iron for around 150 yards to give me a shortish chip to the green which I duff and wind up hitting a third shot onto the green and 3 putt.
Yea I went driver, hybrid to about 4 feet on 18 to make an eagle. Hadn’t made an Eagle in over a year but then again, had I been recording, there might’ve been more pressure and I wouldn’t have done as well :LOL:

also, love your approach to the par-4. But I would’ve conceded your 2nd putt 😉

Well done Zack.
Driver from the tee to 240, leaves me 120. PW to the green and hopefully make my birdie putt.

This was basically the same thing I was going to say. Thanks for saying it for me my fellow non-internet golfer. :D

If I'm double par, I'll pick up... not literally. I'll stop keeping score at that point... but I'm going to try to put the ball n the hole unless it's obvious that I'm about to hold up the group or cause a slowdown playing around.

From reading here on THP, I'm going to try to play to my strengths few that they are... maybe that'll help me lower my score.

If I'm double par, I'll pick up... not literally. I'll stop keeping score at that point... but I'm going to try to put the ball n the hole unless it's obvious that I'm about to hold up the group or cause a slowdown playing around.

From reading here on THP, I'm going to try to play to my strengths few that they are... maybe that'll help me lower my score.
If you haven't already, watch this video (and part II, and any/all of his other videos) - The Way of the Playa, Part I - Golf Sidekick

The way of the playa... looks to make golf fun. But that bucket hat... oh man!

The way of the playa... looks to make golf fun. But that bucket hat... oh man!
He's a youngster, he can pull it off. :LOL: His content is awesome though.

Yeah you're right... "when I want to stay safe, I go Indiana... landlocked, avoid water... safe.":LOL:

Yeah you're right... "when I want to stay safe, I go Indiana... landlocked, avoid water... safe.":LOL:
Just so you don't have to Google it (like I did), "poefies" is the Afrikaans word for 💩.

Back