JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a rather unique golf hole. The hole plays 354 yards to the center but it is always a strong wind in your face on the approach shot (cross breeze on tee shot). It is 240 yards to carry the water, but after water fairway narrows. Clear it and you normally have less than 100 in on a green that has a small amount of water in front and water back left. Missing the green right is open and leaves an uphill pitch or chip out of the rough.

Laying up to the water, will normally leave 160-185 depending on where you land.

How do you play this hole?

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 1.13.35 PM.png

That's most likely going to be a layup. 240 to clear and stiff wind? I'd be lucky to get it over. Classic happy with a bogey type hole.

I could absolutely clear the hole so as long as the wind wasn't bad it would be Driver off the tee and then AW on approach. All depends on the wind though. If wind was bad then 5 iron off the tee and then 8 iron on approach.

I’d probably play it like a par 5. Layup short of the water, layup again, put it on the green and walk off with bogey, possibly par. Or might go stupid and try to carry the water even though I probably couldn’t on a calm day with my best swing. Depends on how the round is going

Any wind at all and I would hit 190 with a 3 or 4 iron to lay up and leave a 6 or 7 iron to the hole, would possibly try to clear the water if the wind was helping, but otherwise, it's too low percentage for me.

Have to lay up in front of the water, don’t think I can clear with a cross wind. Then a 6/7 iron into the green.

Depends on how much of a hurt the wind is off the tee. Just a breeze, I'm hitting driver. Anything more than that and I'm punching an iron down the fairway and 7 or 8 into the green.

Basically would be a combo of 5 and 6 irons depending on how strong that breeze is.

Easy lay up short of water and Mid Iron, likely a 5 or 6 into the green with bailout to the right. Need some luck to stay dry.

I would certainly be laying up and then a 5 or 6 iron on approach to green.

I'd be laying up unless I was downwind- which it sounds like doesn't happen often. I don't mind an approach from 160-180 and would favor the right side. If I miss, have a good chance at up and down, if not I take a bogey.

Much would depend on how I was playing that day. If it's hole 1, I'd likely play it as a 3 shot hole. Otherwise, if I'm hitting driver well, then I'd have no issue carrying that with driver. If I'm not hitting driver well, I might hit a choked 5wd and a 5i into the green. All this could change with tee position and wind speed.

Where is this hole?

I'd get my 200 club, and maybe 185 depending on how I am playing. After that tee shot I might tee another up and hit driver just to see what happens. Pick it up when i get there.

I'd be playing for bogey. Six iron, PW, GW. Depending on my tee shot I might walk out of there with a par.

Over the water, short iron into the green, hopefully from the fairway. Even if it ends up in the rough, unless it's US Open rough, I'll take a shot from the rough out less than a 100 over a fairway shot from about 185.

5-iron off the tee, 5-iron approach from short of the water, 1 putt birdie ..... Simple :rolleyes:

any wind at all would force me to layup. take a stinger 3 iron (easy to keep that in play then hitting a fairway wood or rescue wood off the tee) then, if windy, try a 5 iron into the hole or maybe a 5 rescue wood. just don't want the ball to balloon if the wind is too strong.

that would be a fun hole to play

how strong is the wind for teeing off and approach?

would probably do Driver to draw it around the first water and land short of the water near the green. Then maybe have 50-60 yard chip on which I’ll punch down with a 54.

Short of the water for sure, no way I could carry it even with the wind. Try for middle of the green from there with long iron or hybrid.

If I have a decent round going, I lay up off the tee and try to get a 7 or 8 to the green. If the round has already gone to sh!t, I'm hitting driver and seeing what happens.

I guess it ultimately depends on the wind. If there's a hint of wind in to me I'm probably laying up short of the water which would leave me with anything from an 8-6 iron. If the wind is down I'll give driver a go so I can use the wedge on my 2nd shot.

Driver if it's as clear of trees on the left side as the image makes it seem. Otherwise 3W to clear the water. Then a wedge into the green.

This reminds me of one of the holes at the USF course. I hate this hole, so right off the bat I hate this hole too.

I'd probably play it smart and lay up short of the first water, because a mishit on that is way less penal than a mishit on driver and coming up wet. Then take something to take the water short of the green out of play, see if I can just get away with a par.

Hammer a driver into the water. Take a drop than hit into the water short of the green. Take another drop. Chip on one put for a double. All day!!!!

I'd go @Luke WilliamsCG style and hit a PhillyMc bomb over the left side. Leaving me a flip wedge into the green for bird...

Back