Course Review Playa Mujeres Golf Club - Cancun

captaincaution

@alekbabel -2022 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Playa Mujeres Golf Club is a resort-style golf course located at the Playa Mueres Resort north of Cancun, near Punta Sam. The resort has 8 hotels, and is home to the Greg Norman designed Playa Mujeres Golf Club.

The Clubhouse:
hero7-bg.jpg

The clubhouse looks like it would fit in just about anywhere in Mexico. With colorful stucco and a thatched roof. The pro shop isn't too big, but has plenty of shirts and accessories for purchase. Both premium and value golf balls are available for purchase, and the course routing returns to the clubhouse after 9, in case you need to reload if your driving has led you into the jungle one too many times. Of course, everything is as resort prices. There is a snack shop, which wasn't open when we started our round, but was open at the halfway point and afterwards. Restrooms are available with showers if you need to clean up before returning to your hotel.

Practice area:

There are a few practice areas available. There is a larger putting green near the clubhouse, on the way to 1 or 10 tee, there is a driving range with a grass tee, and there is a smaller chipping/putting green at the range. The range is large, with several target flags. There was no signage for the distances to the flags, however, since the range balls were limited flight balls, dialing in your distances would be difficult. When the range was empty, an employee would gather used range balls by hand. According to imagery from google earth, the range is over 300 yards long, so I do not know why limited flight balls would be in use. Use of the range before a round of golf was included.

Good practice facilities, but use of reduced flight range balls gets a grade of B+

Course conditions:

The golf course was built using Paspalum SeaDwarf, which is a very fine textured warm season turfgrass. In the fairways, it provided a very tight lie. In the rough, it left you with a very playable lie, and the ball would usually sit up nicely for an easy recovery. The greens, however, had been punched at an unknown time. It looked like it had been quite a while, and they were a bit bumpy. During the high-stress weather of the summer, I was not totally surprised. Greens were quite slow, especially coming from prime season in the Midwest. The tee boxes were in great shape. The surrounds of the greens were all tightly mowed, and allowed for a variety of shots to try to get up and down. Oddly, I played on back-to-back days, and the hole locations were the same for both rounds. I did notice that the day after my second round, holes were moved, at least on the hole nearest the pool at the hotel.

There are a lot of bunkers on course, and the sand was fairly consistent. You could give the sand a good thump with a wedge to get out.

Great conditions tee to green, but slower, bumpy greens earns a grade of B

Layout:

Playa Mujeres Golf Club has 5 sets of tees, ranging from 5175 yards to 7218 yards.
Black 74.1/135 7218
Gold 71.4/127 6775
Silver 69.7/124 6342
Copper 67.8/110 5859
Jade 69.7/118 5195, rated for ladies

I played the gold tees for both of my rounds. My wife played the Jade tees for her round. I enjoyed the layout of the course. It was a rather friendly resort-style design, with fairly wide fairways, helping keep the ball in play. In contrast to another Cancun area golf course I have played, there were fewer areas of fairway that seemed to repel the ball, kicking it into the jungle. Appropriate tee selection leads to no forced layups, and there are only 3 forced carries on the entire property. Only one of which is over a hazard, with the other two being over a waste bunker. The direction of play changed constantly, and keeping track of the wind, prevailing off of the Caribbean, is a challenge. There was a lot of variety in the types of holes played, and none of the par 3s were alike. I would peg the signature hole as the par 4 16th, played into the prevailing wind, with the green just off of the beach. There wasn't a ton of rough around the greens, so they played a lot bigger than they actually were, which made for a more enjoyable round.

20220626_112625.jpg
The back of the 16th green, with the Caribbean Sea in the background.

20220626_083543.jpg
The Par 5 2nd, whose second shot is the only real forced carry on course.

20220624_183355.jpg
A view of the 16th from the rooftop bar at the Atelier Playa Mujeres.

20220625_093556.jpg
What was likely a better drive than mine.

The golf carts featured Visage GPS, which is always welcome on a new layout. However, the GPS did not give distance to other carts, and on a few holes, the hole location was completely incorrect. It is one thing to have a difference in 1 or 2 yards vs a laser rangefinder, but on some holes, the flag wasn't even in the right area of the green.

A variety of tee boxes, great hole variety, and some lovely views of the sea made for a fun round of golf, and earns a grade of A.

Pace of play:

Pace of play was good. In my round with my wife, we didn't see anyone ahead of us the entire time. We stopped for a cocktail at the turn, and with a few ball searches, we played in around 4:15. We were not rushed, and honestly, we didn't feel like rushing. My second round, I played as a single behind stacks of two somes. I waited a lot, but after I came off of 18, I was surprised to have played in 3:45. It is funny how the flow of the round affects your perception of the pace of play.

You're on vacation! Fast play that felt slow for one round. Leisurely pace with no pressure another round earn a grade of A.

Price:

Information on price is difficult to find; it isn't clearly posted on the course's website.

We were told that our hotel stay gave us 30% off the regular greens fee. For the end of June, this came out to $180 per person. This included use of the range, cart with GPS, transportation from our hotel to the clubhouse and back, and water.

Golf club rental was $75-80, depending on the type of set you used. My wife's rental set were TaylorMade M series, with a Spider putter.

Food and drinks were extra. The prices were not out of the ordinary for resort golf. The prices were definitely not those you would find away from touristy areas of Cancun.

Price that isn't totally outrageous for a vacation destination, but a lack of transparent pricing information earns a grade of B.

Amenities:
As mentioned previously, the clubhouse had showers available, and transportation from and back to the hotel was included. We stayed at the Atelier Playa Mujeres, which is in the same resort. I am unsure if they will provide transportation from hotels outside of the resort. After the round, they had an attendant to clean your clubs (which they did very thoroughly) and to get you and your clubs to the van. Out on course, a beverage cart was making the rounds. All prices were in US Dollars for your ease. If you go, get a fresh squeezed margarita from the snack shop!

Making it easy to get to and spend my money, without any fluff earns a grade of A-.

Overall:

Practice area: B+
Course conditions: B
Layout: A
Pace of Play: A
Price: B
Amenities: A-
Overall: A-/B+

Would I play Playa Mujeres Golf Club again? Absolutely. If I weren't staying at one of the hotels at the resort, would I play there? I don't think so. Playa Mujeres Golf Club provided good value for a couple of vacation rounds of golf, with a fun layout that provided a playable round for a variety of skill levels.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review!

this place looks frigging awesome Alek!!!!!! Glad you enjoyed it!

Great write up Alec!

Place looks awesome.. I just want to sit at that rooftop bar.

Amazing review w/ great pics. Thanks!!

Great review! I played in Cancun last year and my biggest gripe was how difficult it was to find course pricing. It was insane!

Great review! I played in Cancun last year and my biggest gripe was how difficult it was to find course pricing. It was insane!
I have played at Moon Palace multiple times. Both were using "resort credit" that you get as part of your stay. You are responsible for taxes. The prices are stupid because you use this meaningless credit. They allow outside play, but I have no idea what it actually costs to play!

Solid writeup and awesome pics Alek. Looks like you both had a great time out there!

That looks wonderful, the rooftop bar is calling my name!

Nice review & nice looking course for sure! (y) Not sure if I'll ever get to Cancun, so looks like I'll have to live vicariously thru you :ROFLMAO:

Looks like a great course!

Great looking course. Very nice and thorough review. Well done and thanks!!

Awesome right up man, thanks for taking us along!

@captaincaution - Great review. My wife and I went to Atelier last year and loved the resort, but I didn't end up playing golf.

We just booked a trip for January of 2023 and will definitely be playing at least one round after your feedback here.

@captaincaution - Great review. My wife and I went to Atelier last year and loved the resort, but I didn't end up playing golf.

We just booked a trip for January of 2023 and will definitely be playing at least one round after your feedback here.
If you get free checked bags, I would 100% recommend you bring your own clubs. Rental there was stupid. You're left handed, aren't you? Who knows about lefty options.

Looks great, thanks for the review!

It seems like all the resort courses in Mexico are very confusing when it comes to pricing. I'm looking at trying to play a round in Cabo next month and it is anything but straightforward.

Generally i do not play when in Cancun, but this may just change that, thank you for the in-depth review

If you get free checked bags, I would 100% recommend you bring your own clubs. Rental there was stupid. You're left handed, aren't you? Who knows about lefty options.

Didn't even think about lefty options :confused:

Didn't even think about lefty options :confused:
No one likes you guys, anyways :geek:.

Staying at Atelier, they will charge your greens fee to the room. So that makes it super convenient.

No one likes you guys, anyways :geek:.

Staying at Atelier, they will charge your greens fee to the room. So that makes it super convenient.

A bit off-topic, but my wife and I fell in love with that place. We rarely go to the same resort multiple times, but we didn't even think twice.

A bit off-topic, but my wife and I fell in love with that place. We rarely go to the same resort multiple times, but we didn't even think twice.
Yeah, we loved it there as well.

Pro tip: bring a flask and fill it up with liquor of your choice from the room. :cool:

Need to see when my parents are available to watch the kiddo's. This place looks like a heck of a fun time.

Back