Playable vs. Easy?

zbeekner4

Proud 2019 Grandaddy Alum
Reaction score
Handicap
So I recently played course that I struggled with a lot. There was heavy native grasses everywhere and I lost 5 balls in one round but still managed an 85. The course was otherwise a great layout and a lot of fun. But after speaking with some buddies about it, we discussed that cutting down the native grass would make it too “easy” but I think it would just make the course more playable, not necessarily easy.

So my question is, what makes a course playable versus what makes a course easy?

i don't think a course should be so hard that any errant shot, even marginally errant, takes par almost completely off the table. at least not at the amateur level. funny enough, i had the distinct feeling when i watched a flyover of pine valley. i've always heard pine valley this, and pine valley that. best course in the country. i've obviously never played it, but in watching that flyover i only came away thinking that course looked too hard to be fun.

I have not ever played a course that I would term as easy. No matter how "friendly" the layout, fairway width, rough height, green size, etc., you still have to execute the shots to score well. I agree that some courses are easier than others though due to the mentioned factors.

Playable is way different than easy, playable to me means that the ball can still be hit and there are no overly penal conditions that would create lost balls or prevent you from having some sort of shot at recovery. As far as easy, I have yet to play a course that is too easy, still need to execute the shots.

i don't think a course should be so hard that any errant shot, even marginally errant, takes par almost completely off the table. at least not at the amateur level. funny enough, i had the distinct feeling when i watched a flyover of pine valley. i've always heard pine valley this, and pine valley that. best course in the country. i've obviously never played it, but in watching that flyover i only came away thinking that course looked too hard to be fun.
playable = average shots and better get good results
easy = bad shots get good results

I agree with both of these. Honestly for the average course to have such deep grass where a ball just off the fairway disappears is silly.

Some really good points Chris. I’m of the mindset that the ability to at least have an attempt at a recovery shot makes a course playable. In addition to that, having a chance at par is a great way to measure that.

playable = average shots and better get good results
easy = bad shots get good results

This for the most part, but I’d move the first part to more so that good shots get results. Any course where good shots can still get punished and you need near perfect shots to get around, is no longer playable IMO and approaches gimmicky. This is a pretty good explanation though that I can get behind

Difficult- bad shots lose balls. Good shots might not end up in good spots.

Playable - bad shots are punished without losing your ball. Example is trees with the underbrush removed, or well placed bunkers.

Easy - bad shots off the tee can routinely lead to GIR. Good shots off the tee arent necessary. Greens arent protected.

I don’t think a course exists that I’d call easy. I guess some are easier than others due to what I’ll call shot values. A shot missed at the masters in the rough isn’t as penalizing as barely missing the fairway and you can’t find the ball. If you so you can’t advance it more than 20 yards. That’s obviously tougher but no one will day Augusta is easy.

No such thing as an easy course just not as tough. If there is an easy course shot me your card with 18 birdies or 16 birdies and two eagles. Yea that’s easy in my book. Lol. I’ve played plenty of easier tracks and while it’s nice to be able to score lower due to handicap systems a 71 at one course having a slope of 120 equals a 79 at another having a slope of 150.

One would say one is tougher but definitely not easy. Just play the senior tees and see if you shoot 57 on a par 72? Still ain’t easy lol. These pga pros and lpga pros are just light years beyond a scratch golfer. Always makes me laugh when folks say ‘you could be a pro!’ And I say thanks but you have no idea how good they are. Playing with their buddies on a non pga tour course they absolutely clean shop and will shoot -5 to -11 without feeling a nerve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one of my local courses I would define as easy, if you're 30 or 40 yards offline you're still able to get on the Green in regulation even hitting from the next fairway

The other course is tree-lined so if you are 30 yards offline then you are in the woods, but it definitely is still playable with even moderately decent shots

Difficult- bad shots lose balls. Good shots might not end up in good spots.

Playable - bad shots are punished without losing your ball. Example is trees with the underbrush removed, or well placed bunkers.

Easy - bad shots off the tee can routinely lead to GIR. Good shots off the tee aren't necessary. Greens aren't protected.

one of my local courses I would define as easy, if you're 30 or 40 yards offline you're still able to get on the Green in regulation even hitting from the next fairway

The other course is tree-lined so if you are 30 yards offline then you are in the woods, but it definitely is still playable with even moderately decent shots

Both well said. I think of playable as a course that the average-to-below average player can get around on without numerous penalties for lost balls or high "degree of difficulty" recovery shots:

No long forced carries over water or hazards (some courses I've played, older players or short hitters have literally no chance to get over the water: it's 190 to clear & they're hitting driver 180ish if that)

No deep bunkers on both sides of the same green (so someone hits out & it scoots across into a similar lie in the opposite bunker - with little chance for recovery)

No deep bushes/grasses lining fairways that you can't find balls or hit out of. Trees blocking recovery shots are fine - a player can at least attempt a shot.

Here is my take:

Easy - A course where almost every hard hit shot no matter how bad off line is still in play for the next shot and you an still see the green clearly. Usually there isn't much sand or water either.

Playable - A course where you can think you're way to a decent score even if your ball striking is not great. There is trouble on most holes, but you can take lines to avoid even if you miss your shot. This course can be trouble if you're course management is bad or you are missing both ways. These courses are usually well designed and a lot of fun.

Difficult- This course has trouble everywhere. Only well executed shots are going to be rewarded and shots hit offline are almost always going to find a tough lie. Sometimes a playable course can be turned into a difficult course by growing rough. These courses are usually well designed, but I have played some poorly designed difficult courses too. They were just daggone tight.

Easy: No matter the tee shot (well barring a wiff or a top), par is on the table. Not very complex green complexes. An average shot is only needed to recover and a good shot might setup for birdie.

Playable: Average shots should be enough to have looks at birdie or a recovery par. 1 good shot may be needed to recover from a bad position.

Challenging: Average shots to the wrong spot may require some work. Fairway blocked off, missing to the wrong side of the green. Basically you need to hit 1 or 2 good shots to recover.

Difficult: Average shots will get you in trouble quickly. Missed fairways will likely be a lost ball. Laying back off the tee will mean longer irons into small greens.

My home course I would say is fairly difficult. You can be in the fairway and not have a shot at the pin based on trees. I realized how difficult my home course was when I started playing other courses and I have yet to find one where i think it is harder (shoot above my HC) than my home course. Mainly my strength is distance and my home course is target golf and can eat your lunch if you miss the fairway. Heck even when you hit the fairway and your on the wrong side or angle you are trying to just make par. Several munis near me I would rate easy. Mainly due to holes running parallel and you can hit GIR from other fairways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I recently played course that I struggled with a lot. There was heavy native grasses everywhere and I lost 5 balls in one round but still managed an 85. The course was otherwise a great layout and a lot of fun. But after speaking with some buddies about it, we discussed that cutting down the native grass would make it too “easy” but I think it would just make the course more playable, not necessarily easy.

So my question is, what makes a course playable versus what makes a course easy?
We had an issue with this at my course over the last few years. As we're in Ohio, it's brutally hard to successfully grow heather grass without undergrowth, which makes balls all but impossible to find.

As a rules and handicap committee, we took advantage of the new USGA rulings this year and now deem the tall grass to be a penalty area, which allows a drop at point of entry for lost balls. That allows the native to operate how it was intended (shots that enter are hit out, and then proceeded from there) without creating the massive disadvantage of a lost ball stroke and distance.

It's gone over very well, and I personally think handicaps are far more accurate because of it.

Knowing the drop rule at the point of entry would’ve been helpful.

I think I’m just more in the camp that says cut down native grass or areas close to the course to the point where it’s hard to lose balls. I get that courses want to punish poor shots but when you cant miss a fairway left OR right because you’ll lose your ball, it’s not playable at all. Plus it slows down pace, it’s not fun, there’s no chance for a crazy recovery shot, and ultimately golfers won’t want to return to the course...and possibly could deter them from golf in general.

Knowing the drop rule at the point of entry would’ve been helpful.

I think I’m just more in the camp that says cut down native grass or areas close to the course to the point where it’s hard to lose balls. I get that courses want to punish poor shots but when you cant miss a fairway left OR right because you’ll lose your ball, it’s not playable at all. Plus it slows down pace, it’s not fun, there’s no chance for a crazy recovery shot, and ultimately golfers won’t want to return to the course...and possibly could deter them from golf in general.
It's an optional ruling that has to be adapted by the course. Many in our region elect to use it due to the reality of heather grass being impossible. Hell, Valhalla and TPC here have WALLS of heather in many places.

It's such a great ruling, and with the ability to ground your club in a penalty area now, makes all the sense in the world.

Back