Player that Moves Gear?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What players on tour do you think move equipment? For argument’s sake, let’s remove Tiger and Phil out of the conversation, so they are known entities to a large amount of golfers and have been for years.

Leaving those two out of the conversation, I'd guess Rory would be at/near the top. Maybe DeChambeau figures in there somewhere, as one length irons seem to have been growing in popularity.

[ETA:] For the record, I agree with others below - none of the pros move gear for me. I don't hinge any of my buying decisions on what a pro is playing or whose staff they're on. They don't play the same gear I would be buying, and I don't play the same gear they're using. It has never once factored into any of my buying decisions.

Last edited:
I don't know that any outside of the two you removed makes people play what they are. I think what players play on tour collectively move it more than any one player.
Apparel is a different story. Rickie sales Puma for sure.

Last edited:
Not taking into consideration timing of wins, I would say Rory/Rickie/Bryson (with those sales impacts being amplified in the weeks following a win).

Its a good question, its not really a factor for me at all. I kinda know what some of the big names play, but doesn't affect my decisions at all.

Bryson, and then everyone else. I’m not really sold on Rory or DJ moving drivers?

Perhaps my only 100% tour influenced purchase was a Spider putter because of Jason Day. He just didn’t miss with that thing for a good stretch of time.

My swing is different from a pro (duh), but putting is more relatable. I am more likely to be influenced by a hot putting performance than any of the other clubs. Most of those guys are in blades, too, and I know I won’t go that route.

rickie with puma & cobra

oh wait is this that will move on from?
or that moves equipment as in selling a brand?

• Admin
rickie with puma & cobra

oh wait is this that will move on from?
or that moves equipment as in selling a brand?

meaning those that have golfers buying because of them.

I think Rory is the only guy if you remove Tiger and Phil. And I am not sure I would include him.

I think pros move apparel more than gear. So besides Tiger and Phil I am not sure anyone moves a lot of gear

meaning those that have golfers buying because of them.
i gotta stick with rickie then, imo hes the face of puma and cobra isnt he?

I'm guessing Rickie can move gear with regard to the younger generation. You certainly see plenty of them wearing Puma gear because of him, so I would think they want to play what he plays.

Rickie with his puma gear and constant new looks. If not for Rickie would cobra be as popular?

Dustin Johnson... Bomb the ball and look good doing it with tmade and Adidas

Brooks sells Nike along with Rory..

Jordan spieth was probably a golf dream selling is and Titleist until he had his rough patch. I still think he is good for ua brand

Other bet is Justin Thomas... He screams Titleist and seems it. Polo maybe but not in my closet so don't okay attention

Maybe Bryson DCB but a part of that is the uniqueness of OL. Otherwise, I say nobody sells gear in meaningful numbers

Rickie with his puma gear and constant new looks. If not for Rickie would cobra be as popular?

Dustin Johnson... Bomb the ball and look good doing it with tmade and Adidas

Brooks sells Nike along with Rory..

Jordan spieth was probably a golf dream selling is and Titleist until he had his rough patch. I still think he is good for ua brand

Other bet is Justin Thomas... He screams Titleist and seems it. Polo maybe but not in my closet so don't okay attention

Jordan Spieth is an interesting one, because he doesnt really have a single Titleist logo anywhere, so do the average golf fans know what‘s in his bag? He isn’t really on social media, so he isnt talking about them there either.

Billy H has to sell a bunch of those silly pants right?

51be28cceab8ea051f000005.jpg

Rickie with Puma. Probably the best soft goods signing right now. Not a lot of people wear red for tiger, but orange and Rickie is a common site.

Bryson with One Length. When he wins there is usually a One Length sales spike.

Rory. A number of people I've talked to said I bought X driver/3 wood because of Rory. DJ I've heard as well.

Jason Day and Spider Tour Putter. Those red spiders were everywhere.

Brooks with the whole JPX story. The hot metals are the best selling mizuno iron of all time.

Though in general, it's a catch 22 with these sponsorships. You need a tour staff for credibility, but at the same time who knows how many clubs these guys are responsible for selling.

Let me answer the question with a question. Is it a player that sells equipment or a large numbers of players that sell the equipment?

What I mean is does someone buy equipment because they saw Rory play it or do they but equipment because they saw a large number of tour players play it?

Rory plays a Taylormade ball but do people rush out to buy them? Not really. But they've been brain washed to buy ProV1's because "it's the most played ball on Tour".

Do people buy a Taylormade driver because they see Rory using it? Or do they buy the driver because they see a bunch of tour players using it including Rory, DJ, Rham, etc.?

I think if you get a stable of players using a piece of equipment or particular brand, and they are visible and get more airtime that it is much more effective than any one individual player.

It is honestly extremely hard to say. I would say all sponsored players move gear. To what extent is really hard to say. So much of marketing and what we see almost subliminal that we may see something on tour being used by someone and not even realize that it sparked in interest in us.

Without those two, closest thing is Bryson, but that’s super niche.

Let me answer the question with a question. Is it a player that sells equipment or a large numbers of players that sell the equipment?

What I mean is does someone buy equipment because they saw Rory play it or do they but equipment because they saw a large number of tour players play it?

Rory plays a Taylormade ball but do people rush out to buy them? Not really. But they've been brain washed to buy ProV1's because "it's the most played ball on Tour".

Do people buy a Taylormade driver because they see Rory using it? Or do they buy the driver because they see a bunch of tour players using it including Rory, DJ, Rham, etc.?

I think if you get a stable of players using a piece of equipment or particular brand, and they are visible and get more airtime that it is much more effective than any one individual player.

The tour count definitely is a huge mover of equipment.
But players certainly move the needle in the equipment line as well. Both to core golfers and to regular weekend players.

I know everybody says they aren’t influenced, but not a year goes by where a shaft gets hot and everybody wants to try it haha.

Bryson sells irons when he wins, Rickie sales soft goods.

I am with the other in saying Bryson is really the only other one and that is because the OL sales are measurable and he is the only one, to my knowledge, on tour playing them.

Back