Player that Moves Gear?

Jordan Spieth is an interesting one, because he doesnt really have a single Titleist logo anywhere, so do the average golf fans know what‘s in his bag? He isn’t really on social media, so he isnt talking about them there either.
Tough to say if average know. A few clicks of a camera and everyone remembers or when he was winning I'm sure Jordan WiTB was popular...

Tour-truck_8f8278ec7a6efdee5995c8a312863eb1.jpg

spieth-ts2-driver.jpg

I think Bryson is the only one that has people trying stuff simply because of him. People might play a TM or Callaway driver and know that DJ or Phil use them, but I don't think they choose those drivers because those guys play them. I think many people have tried one length simply because they saw Bryson doing something different and thought it might work for them too.

Really the only one I would say is Rickie, and more for apparel than clubs. Maybe a DJ/Rory/Rahm combo in terms of drivers just because they are on tv so much with them.

For the average golfer that doesn’t play/watch often, Tiger is probably the only player they cared about.

For the more serious/frequent players:

Rory and DJ with TM drivers. Day used to be in that group.

JT with Titleist hard goods. Spieth used to be included in Titleist.

Fowler for Cobra woods and Bryson for their irons, especially one length.

Brooks is always interesting to keep up with too.

Anything Arnold Palmer branded I want immediately. Seriously. When the API comes, I want all of the swag. Rickie shows off a lot of it, but a lot of the guys do. SO....Arnold Palmer. Weird, I know.

Second... not a player but tournaments. When Hawaii rolls around in January, I want to buy every OEMs' Hawaii gear. Weird, I know.

Rickie and Bryson for sure...

I’ve gotta think Fowler and Bubba move their fair share of gear

Bryson.

Apparel and short game equipment, yes! Irons, nope. Driver and fwy woods, maybe.

Maybe Bryson DCB but a part of that is the uniqueness of OL. Otherwise, I say nobody sells gear in meaningful numbers

I'd argue Rickie has moved more SpeedBack, SpeedZone and vario length irons that BCD and OL. 🤷‍♂️

I agree the big movers are Rickie, Dustin, and Rory. I like JT's presence in the discussion I hope he continues to play well.

Apparel, yes. Clubs, no.

Bryson/Rory/DJ have to move the needle with the amount of commercials.... Maybe Justin Thomas a bit

Koepka. I bought a shirt last year I saw him wearing because the wife loved it

About Bryson- I think what is unique is that while he does move equipment, I think to a lot of people, he sells a thought-process, a creativity, and a bit of tinkering that is in us. I play OL, although I tried it and then became familiar with him right after. But, because of him, I've tried JumboMax grips (and love them). I've also looked at other ideas of his and experimented quite a bit on my own. I don't jump on something because "it works for Bryson." But I will certainly analyze his reasoning and ideas, and then decide whether something might be useful or not to me.

Let me answer the question with a question. Is it a player that sells equipment or a large numbers of players that sell the equipment?
I think this is a really interesting thought. I think the reason Rickie and Bryson are such overwhelming answers here is that other brands are so big. Everyone already thinks of Callaway and TM for things, so how much does any individual player matter to them? But people aren't typically thinking about Cobra, so Rickie and Bryson are almost seen as the brand itself.

Will be interesting to see if guys start to play Bryson’s driver with the bombs he’s been mashing. Too bad the driver doesn’t come with 20lbs of muscle 😆

Will be interesting to see if guys start to play Bryson’s driver with the bombs he’s been mashing. Too bad the driver doesn’t come with 20lbs of muscle 😆

I mean a lot of people have played that driver or at least a higher lofted version. It is one of the legendary drivers to be released. Still to this day it is one of the only relatively high moi drivers that has a CoG below the neutral axis.

But, yeah I doubt people are going to go out of their way to find a used one because of Bryson.

I mean a lot of people have played that driver or at least a higher lofted version. It is one of the legendary drivers to be released. Still to this day it is one of the only relatively high moi drivers that has a CoG below the neutral axis.

But, yeah I doubt people are going to go out of their way to find a used one because of Bryson.
I’m just wondering what a Tour player can do to attract people to buy clubs. I’d think adding big yards to the driver could do that, but not where the workout regimen is so highly publicized like Bryson.

I believe the touring pros have a significant impact equipment sales as well as soft goods. Jordan for sure for Under Armour clothing and golf shoes. TM Driver sales due to DJ and Rory. Ping driver sales due to Bubba and Cameron.
Other than the two excluded, I would say Rickie is the biggest mover. He has a huge following. Puma capitalized on him in a big way. I also believe Cobra sales are where they are today largely due to his influence. They’re definitely not a marketing leader.
I don’t think Bryson has the same impact with Cobra due to his more polarizing personality.
Unlike much of THP audience, the majority of golf equipment sales are not due to fitting, but off the shelf purchases. The Pros play a major role in those sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think pros move apparel more than gear. So besides Tiger and Phil I am not sure anyone moves a lot of gear
I'd agree with that. While I've never bought gear based on a Tour player, I have bought a couple shirts after seeing cool ones out there. I'd think Rickie must really move the needle in apparel sales, especially for younger golfers.

Rickie and Rory I'd guess... but I think there are some people that look in the bags of other players and use equipment they aren't paid to use... and go that way.

Is Tour Edge gaining market share because Duffy is using it? Or is it the customer service? Or the technology in the clubs? Or the price? Several players on the champion's tour use Tour Edge without being paid...

Clubs, no one. If tiger couldn’t do it, no one can. The collective numbers of tour pros make a difference though IMO. Titleist being able to say they are the number 1 ball on tour I think absolutely helps. TM and Cally bags being everywhere absolutely help. But a single player moving clubs? Nah

I think apparel is different.

I think DeChambeau is the number one gear mover. His use of one length has allowed Cobra to build an industry segment from scratch. No one would be buying those sets if he wasn't using them.

Back