Player that Moves Gear?

A number of guys have tried them since they were first introduced as EQL decades ago
I did not know that. I still don’t know if I’d attribute it to Bryson more so than any pro that would have won with it. Someone like Matthew wolf, I don’t think you’d argue moves gear, but I’d be interested to see if people would be trying it if he won with them too. I’d almost attribute it more to tour success and cobras marketing than Bryson specifically. Maybe I’m wrong about that though.

Obviously endorsements work or companies wouldn't engage in the practice. I never got them myself though. Regarding equipment, I play what works for me, not what works for the endorser. It's not like if I buy a set of clubs endorsed by some professional I will play like he does.

Obviously endorsements work or companies wouldn't engage in the practice. I never got them myself though. Regarding equipment, I play what works for me, not what works for the endorser. It's not like if I buy a set of clubs endorsed by some professional I will play like he does.
I've never gotten it either, but there must be some financial gain in it. I can't imagine the OEMs are giving that all money away to endorsers purely out of the goodness of their hearts.

I actually don't see it happening a huge amount - apparel yes, but clubs not so much. If you take Tiger out of the equation with Nike, I'm not sure that any player actually sells equipment. The endorsements etc to me are purely brand awareness, getting that logo or driver appearance on the TV and other media. They're not expecting Rory/DJ to actually make people think they will buy the clubs to play like them, is more about knowing that those players will be on screen a lot more than other players so more fans and viewers will see the logo on their screens.

Only person I might see the purchasing effect with is Phil and the PM grind wedges. I mean, who doesn't want to open up a 60 and flop it like Phil?

I like the Rory pick. Not as much as I once would have said, but it'd argue he's pretty recognizable.

I'm still leaning Rickie here. He's carried brand recognition for Cobra/Puma for a loooong time, and we know he can do it during stretches of not winning.

@JB this kinda begs the question do players really move all that much gear and is it worth it signing endorsement deals to players. Like our contract scenario to Brooks... Got me thinking and I think I pass on signing him

I agree with those that say no one really on the equipment side. Having attended a few majors and a Ryder Cup, I also agree with those that say Rickie Fowler when it comes to apparel.

I agree with those that say no one really on the equipment side. Having attended a few majors and a Ryder Cup, I also agree with those that say Rickie Fowler when it comes to apparel.
I think Rickie, Rory, Brooks and Spieth have to be apparel Kings. Obviously tiger as well but his numbers are huge.

I am not convinced from a wedge or wood standpoint that clubs aren't given appeal by the pros who play them.

There's a big reason why white worked SO damn well for TM. I bet it's why they still have a head that's wholly unique from a visual standpoint against competition.

Reactions: JB
I am not convinced from a wedge or wood standpoint that clubs aren't given appeal by the pros who play them.

There's a big reason why white worked SO damn well for TM. I bet it's why they still have a head that's wholly unique from a visual standpoint against competition.
Do you think Phil would be the primary guy in terms of wedge appeal?

Well, considering he's lauded as an outstanding short game player, I think he's almost synonymous with the Callaway high toe at this point. PM grind being PM grind.

Does he sell product for them though? Tough call. Probably more than most.

I think he's gotta be wedges but I don't think Callaway wedges are #1 seller so does it work?

Obviously tiger as well but his numbers are huge.
I can neither confirm nor deny I bought a Nike mock neck shirt when Tiger started wearing them LOL.

I think he's gotta be wedges but I don't think Callaway wedges are #1 seller so does it work?
I guess the point there would be, who sells Titleist wedges?

Some products need to be sold harder than others. I'd argue Phil has done well with Cally wedges.

Some products need to be sold harder than others. I'd argue Phil has done well with Cally wedges.
Agree that if Phil played something else day wedges drop significantly...

Titleist corall sells Vokeys and Bob vokey sells Vokeys and in fitters sell vokeys... Justin Thomas Adam Scott

What about joggers when Rickie started wearing them?

it's okay, I won't tell.
Wow didn't realize Rickie wore them in 16...

Seems to me like Titleist does well just off the Vokey name/brand recognition itself. Kinda like Cleveland/now Cally does with the RFC name recognition. But what you said was exactly what I was thinking - Phil is known primarily for his short game wizardry, so I'd think if any Tour player would move wedges, it would be him.

What about joggers when Rickie started wearing them?

it's okay, I won't tell.
Ha! I’ll admit I bought the mock, but if you ever see me in joggers on a golf course, you have permission to club me to death with a sand wedge.

Agree that if Phil played something else day wedges drop significantly...

Titleist corall sells Vokeys and Bob vokey sells Vokeys and in fitters sell vokeys... Justin Thomas Adam Scott
See, I don't look at Scott or Thomas, or Spieth, or any of those guys and think "they define Vokey for me"

it's almost like players are more valuable to define a brand than to promote a successful one.

Ha! I’ll admit I bought the mock, but if you ever see me in joggers on a golf course, you have permission to club me to death with a sand wedge.
A vokey, or a high toe?

See, I don't look at Scott or Thomas, or Spieth, or any of those guys and think "they define Vokey for me"

it's almost like players are more valuable to define a brand than to promote a successful one.
Agree if Justin Rose wins with Honma watch out! But the flip side Justin Rose leaves!

Back