Players Boycott US Open

I've been watching for almost 40 years and don't remember good shots running off the greens like that have in the last few years. Narrow fairways, deep rough......ok, but I like greens that reward fairly good shots, not the ones where you have 3 square feet to land it in. Just my opine.

Azinger was on Golf Channel today proclaiming that when he came on the scene (1982), people were complaining about US Open course set ups, and he was sure that had been true for decades before as well.
Azinger remarked that the only thing which has changed is the more people (due to the internet) are now able to have an audience for their complaining.
If ones thinks about it, for at least the past 50 years the only way to have par be a good (winning) score, is to set up the course so that fairways are narrow and greens difficult to hold and putt.

I wish they would stop complaining about a course set up that isn't fair.
All players play the same course so it is fair no matter the set up.
Complain about it not being easy enough if you want.
And if you don't want to play, take your marbles and go home to mommy.

Exactly right :)
And the late , great, past USGA President Sandy Tatum said "we're not trying to embarrass the best players in the world, we're trying to identify them".

If the winning score at Pebble is -15, will the players be happy then? Or will they cry that it wasn't hard enough for a USOpen?

Do you USGA!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Well, it was close to that.

Was it too easy?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Well, it was close to that.

Was it too easy?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

A lot of the players didn't think it was easy at all! There was little wind over the four days, little sunshine to dry things out and a lot of cool temps and moisture in the air. The course played "soft". Give the USGA credit for not putting the pin locations in crazy, "unfair" spots which would have been the only thing they could have done to toughen it up.

Winning score was double figures. I didn't think it took away anything from the championship.

They are professional golfers and they don't need to score 20+ under par on every course and every tournament. It's the same set-up for them all so they need to stop sniveling and whining with the amount of money they make for playing a game. It seems every year we hear the same complaints from a handful of players. No one is forcing any pro to play. If they want to boycott I think they should. JMHO

They are professional golfers and they don't need to score 20+ under par on every course and every tournament. It's the same set-up for them all so they need to stop sniveling and whining with the amount of money they make for playing a game. It seems every year we hear the same complaints from a handful of players. No one is forcing any pro to play. If they want to boycott I think they should. JMHO

It may be the same setup for all but what they want is a "fair" setup that identifies the best golfer, not the one who got the luckiest bounces. Excellent shots should always be rewarded, good shots rewarded most of the time and bad shots should have consequences.

course this year looked fair to me. Hard= yes. Fair = yes.

as pretty as PB is, not sure it is my kind of course. forced everything. Would be interesting to see it in natural armature state

They all play the same course. If a boycott happens it will not deter me from watching. It should be a tough setup but also fair. It seems like that’s what has been happening. 5 out of the last 6 champions were under par with two of the last three being double digits.

Back