Players Boycott US Open

While I think they should stop whining, I do agree that the USGA needs to get their head out of their asses and stop making it tough by baking/killing greens or worrying about par. I do wish they would make it tough by choosing courses that promote the width/angle approach with misses being punished (longer rough, deeper bunkers, bad angles into greens, and choosing courses that have basically 2/3 greens in one where finding the right tier/section is mandatory) and hitting how/where you need to be gives you a great shot at birdie. Just tightening fairways, playing courses with lots of fescue, and making the greens run 14 with holes on crests is moronic. How they have the Womens open set up this week is actually pretty legit and should mimic to the guys game just with appropriate modifications obviously.

I think its more about the setup being unfair and not just that its too hard. Phil slapping a rolling putt around is what they are talking about; cutting the hole on a slope where you can't stop the ball near the cup.

Yep, that hole was in the middle of a false front on an uphill par 4. That's stupid.

What's funny is that if you look through the top 20 finishers(24 golfers), the score for that Saturday on that hole was +4. 6 Bogey's, 2 birdies, and the rest par. No doubles. For it to be a complete farce, I'd expect a lot worse than that. Also, let's not forget that Phil drilled that first putt, its not like he lagged it up there and it just didn't stop. Not saying it was a great setup, there were clearly issues, but I'm not sure if Phil doens't snap, that people are even talking about that hole location a year later.

I don't know what these guy's problem is. I love it when the courses are set up impossibly. Gives me the perfect excuse for my piss poor putting game.

In all seriousness, the US Open purse is like $12 million this year? Winners get paid the same amount whether they finish at -12 or +6 and I cant see anyone (even the big guns) skipping out on such a huge tournament. It feels like they're just trying to throw their weight around right before the 2019 tournament to influence the USGA setup at Pebble. Kind of like what they did right before Erin Hills in 2017 when the USGA caved and cut the teeth of the course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would think Pebble would be the ideal place to go back to tight fairways, thick rough and fast but not baked greens. As long as they don't kill it like Oakmont, it should be the complete opposite of fast, dry, linksy, turtlebacks we've seen.

I'll believe they're serious when they actually do it.

As for the USGA, I hope they ease up on the greens and then cut 10-yd wide fairways.

Mike Davis should lose his job.

3 of your flagship events when the course setup had been an “issue”

The Tour Players are the true “snowflakes”

You play golf for a living sack up and don’t be a b*tch

Well when they seemingly ruined Chambers bay that was pretty bad. Is boycotting worth it, i doubt it. I’d also assume sponsors wouldn’t be too pleased if they did.

Im not necessarily a huge fan of the USGA in general, so whatever.

I'm all for the US Open being difficult, but I think the USGA goes overboard in the wrong places. I have no issue with the players bringing attention to it.

I think it's more the players making noise trying to make a point and hoping the USGA blinks first. At the end of the day, people will complain but I don't see any of the top names skipping the US Open.

While it is not going to happen this year, there is some smoke out there that many of the top players were ready to boycott the US Open. DJ, Rory, Phil and many others are said to be on this list. What are your thoughts?

The USGA is a sensational organization which has done great things for the game. If some spoiled brats want to boycott the US Open that is their prerogative.

Players Boycott US Open

The USGA is a sensational organization which has done great things for the game. If some spoiled brats want to boycott the US Open that is their prerogative.

Yet don’t trust anyone to post scores while playing alone. I’m sure they have done some great things, but at most times they seem to be run by a bunch of ducks (not an autocorrect).

Also for the record I am more critical of a course like Bethpage Black being used for a major. That course has super narrow fairways even short. The fairway is 25 yards wide from the start all the way to the green on all those holes. That takes everyone but the 20 longest hitters out of contention. Then it's just the hottest long player to win, which has been Koepka for the last 18 months. At Pebble Beach with a par 70 less than 7100 yard course that relies on positioning to score, everyone that sticks a tee in the ground is going to have a shot to win whether they hit their driver 325 or 270 regardless of how fast the greens are or how long the rough is. If I was the Kisners, Furyks, Hoffmans of the world I would complain about having to play Bethpage for the PGA. Spieth gained more strokes putting at that event than anyone had in on tour in any event for almost 2 years and was still 5 back of Koepka. The Masters is the tournament that awards the trophy to the best bomber, the other tournaments should be more fairly setup for all styles of golf. I will get off my soapbox now LOL!

The U.S Open is my favorite major to watch because the pros struggle. I can tune into any tournament through the season and see someone at 15 under. Like one of the above posters stated suck it up your a professional and in the end everyone is playing the same conditions.

The Masters is the tournament that awards the trophy to the best bomber, the other tournaments should be more fairly setup for all styles of golf.

Are Danny Willett, Jordan Spieth, and Zach Johnson bombers?

~Rock

Players Boycott US Open

It’s sad to see the professionals thinking about a boycott due to course setup. End of the day it’s their decision to skip out on one of the most prestigious tournaments and lucrative paychecks, there will always be someone willing to take their place and I will still tune in regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it is not going to happen this year, there is some smoke out there that many of the top players were ready to boycott the US Open. DJ, Rory, Phil and many others are said to be on this list. What are your thoughts?

I cannot fathom Phil missing a chance, at this point in his career, to play in US Opens.

It is there $$'s they are potentially missing out on, but for the reasons of it being to hard of a set up is just stupid in my opinion You are elite golfers, deal with it.

they are all playing the same course. make it as hard or easy as you want.

I've torn up some courses on golden tee that would make these pros cry.

I briefly skimmed the article but I thought I read it was about where all the revenue is going...

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Are Danny Willett, Jordan Spieth, and Zach Johnson bombers?

~Rock
Danny Willett and ZJ both won in extremely windy conditions. Spieth was gaining 2 strokes per round from 200 in during that period and hitting it strait as an arrow off the tee. There are exceptions to every rule, but the fact that Bubba has 2 green jackets is pretty indicative of how the course is setup to play in ideal circumstances. They had ideal circumstances this year and look at the leaderboard. Tiger, Koepka, DJ, Molinari, Schafele, Cantlay, Finau, Thomas. Schaufele is the only non big hitter and he still hits it pretty far.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah tough to really feel bad for those guys lol.

Suck it up

Good! When they set up the course to the point that it makes the best players in the world look like me and my hacker buddies it's not enjoyable to watch. I enjoy watching them stick it next to the pin and stop it or back it up to the hole. Not a great shot with no reward because they made the greens harder than the cart path.

I briefly skimmed the article but I thought I read it was about where all the revenue is going...

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Its based on about 5 different things, revenue being one of them.

Can someone point me in the direction of any stories about how the USGA screwed up the US Women's Open, The US Amateur or the US Mid-AM?

I'll wait.

Back