Players Boycott US Open

I never understood why use a regular tour stop. Made no sense when there are so many venues we don't see that can host the tournament. I get that weather (heat specifically) plays a role, but I've gotta believe there are better places to host than Pebble, and I love pebble for how it presents itself on TV

Don't forget Torrey too.
Both venues are fantastic for major setups and tour spots. But they shouldn't have both.

Don't forget Torrey too.
Both venues are fantastic for major setups and tour spots. But they shouldn't have both.

I don’t have it in front of me, but I remember a US Open in Tulsa that was fun, but what so damn hot it was miserable for the players it seemed.

I loved Merion and wish they would play more of those courses

I’m definitely opposed to the players on this one. STFU and go play the course, just like everyone else has to.

I don’t have it in front of me, but I remember a US Open in Tulsa that was fun, but what so damn hot it was miserable for the players it seemed.

I loved Merion and wish they would play more of those courses

Southern Hills ‘01 US Open- Retief Goosen won

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll believe they're serious when they actually do it.

As for the USGA, I hope they ease up on the greens and then cut 10-yd wide fairways.

I don’t really want to see 10 yard wide fairways either. I’d prefer the choice be driver /3w for tee shots, not 4i/death. It should be a tough test of golf, but no course ever has 10 yard wide fairways. I think it should punish wayward shots, 20 yard fairways and thick rough are enough. Courses I play have unfair pin locations relative to their speed.

On one hole last year I had a 20ft birdie putt from pin high right of the flag. I read it near perfect, missed it barely on the high side and watched it roll 20ft below the cup. Ok, too much speed? I hit the next three putts from pin high to 18” above the cup and all 3 rolled back to my feet. I laughed, picked up my ball, flicked my middle finger in the general direction of the maintenance shed, and went home. It was a 100% unfair placement. Unless I holed it from 20 feet, I couldn’t get any closer.

Oh well. I’ve played there since and they had recently punched the greens and had them rolling 12+. It was like playing plinko with a putter. Shame since it’s one of the best courses around, but they’re just not bright when deciding hole placement/green speed and factoring in the contour of the greens and their speed. And to think I wasn’t happy there 3 years ago when they had alternately watered every other one making one roll 12 and the next 7. As a once off that wasn’t terrible. Factor in the next several times, not too bright. Obviously someone that either doesn’t golf or is sadistic takes care of the greens.

I don’t want to see that at a US Open, but anything shy on the greens, go for it. Most of us have seen worse.

@Smiter
I think the difference you see on the courses we play is because the exact pin position is left up to maintenance people who have little to no knowledge of the game of golf. In the case of the USGA those pin positions that are impossible are intentionally set there.

They all play the same course, they all know what to expect. Stop whining and play. And, if some players do boycott, a better chance for me to win (if i was a player, lol).

As long as the field plays the same course, and the check for the winner is the same, the only thing I can think that would cause this is their egos not being able to accept not shooting eleventy billion under par.

Did players complain about the conditions or pin placements at the PGA?

Only six players were under par, so far from crazy low scoring, which is what the USGA hopes to achieve.

I'd rather the USGA fire Mike Davis and would get away from thinking even par is the only way to judge a quality test of golf.

To me, these guys are too good and the course needs a clown's mouth to keep them from breaking par, and the USGA is too wrapped up in that goal.

Set up a challenging course, and let them play.

I'd rather the USGA fire Mike Davis and would get away from thinking even par is the only way to judge a quality test of golf.

To me, these guys are too good and the course needs a clown's mouth to keep them from breaking par, and the USGA is too wrapped up in that goal.

Set up a challenging course, and let them play.

Mike Davis is no longer in charge of course setup for the US Open. He voluntarily stepped away from that position.

Mike Davis is no longer in charge of course setup for the US Open. He voluntarily stepped away from that position.

That was fast.... from my lips to God's ear :cool:

Tight fairways and heavy rough are all good. But the USGA should never set up greens so that balls won't stay on them, even with good approach shots and good chips. Overall, if the cream rises to the top after 4 days, I'd tend to say that the course setup was a success.

While I side with the players wrt the ridiculous course conditions, if they boycott, I'll forever dismiss them as whiney, petulant children.

While it's fun, and easy, to blame course set up I firmly believe it's about money. And it should be...

500k is all it's gone up and that just recently. Who is getting all that money???
2dae90265c3aea1aa17dbc7d8a7046e7.jpg

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Whiners aren't winners. The guys who let this kind of stuff get to them aren't maximizing their odds to win the tournament. They're all playing the same course so embrace the challenges, know those challenges will be too much for many, and refuse to be one of the many if you plan to win it. I'm surprised and disappointed that elite champions like these guys are coming across as being so soft.

My thoughts are they cry too much for the money they make. It is the only sport/job I know where ONE WIN makes you a millionaire. Stop pissin and moanin and wear your big boy pants in public.

I wouldn't blame them one bit.

When the course is the subject of the Open discussions, something is wrong.

I really don't enjoy watching the US Open most of the times because of the greens. Might as well make em out of concrete with artificial grass; at lot lest upkeep.

My thoughts are they cry too much for the money they make. It is the only sport/job I know where ONE WIN makes you a millionaire. Stop pissin and moanin and wear your big boy pants in public.

But that is exactly why they are asking that the setup be FAIR, not easy! Good shots should be rewarded the majority of the time and excellent shots should be rewarded all of the time. Poor shots should always suffer consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not buying it. Way too much money involved.

I wouldn't blame them one bit.

When the course is the subject of the Open discussions, something is wrong.

I really don't enjoy watching the US Open most of the times because of the greens. Might as well make em out of concrete with artificial grass; at lot lest upkeep.

For several decades now US Open's have been set up with narrow fairways, long rough, rock hard green etc...
The only factor which is "new" in the US Open picture is that internet forums, Twitter, Instagram, Sirius Radio , Golf Channel etc... give the people complaining a larger audience.

I wish they would stop complaining about a course set up that isn't fair.
All players play the same course so it is fair no matter the set up.
Complain about it not being easy enough if you want.
And if you don't want to play, take your marbles and go home to mommy.

Quit being whinning B-----s!!!! They get paid unbelievable money to play a sport. Quit complaining or get another job

For several decades now US Open's have been set up with narrow fairways, long rough, rock hard green etc...
The only factor which is "new" in the US Open picture is that internet forums, Twitter, Instagram, Sirius Radio , Golf Channel etc... give the people complaining a larger audience.

I've been watching for almost 40 years and don't remember good shots running off the greens like that have in the last few years. Narrow fairways, deep rough......ok, but I like greens that reward fairly good shots, not the ones where you have 3 square feet to land it in. Just my opine.

Course setup? I guess they're getting bored with drive-flip wedge to every hole too.

Back