If I`m working on something...I will play alone....because when I play with the guys we play for enough money that you can`t be screwing around trying something to see if it works...Plus when I play alone I usually play 2 balls...Jim

I am what some would call a sunrise guy. At least once a week you will find me on the course early in the morning leaving footprints, and ball tracks on the dewy Greens. Seems no one else likes to play that early, but I really enjoy it. West to east fairways can be a bit of a hassle, but I do OK. My other weekly round is with a few of the club regulars, but seldom the same ones as I mix up the days I go.

Amen brother. I love a pre 7:30am round. It allows me to get my golf in and still have a productive day. When I play by myself I don't compound my mistakes as much. But I think I play better when I play with other players especially better players. Whenever I play with better players I put up very solid numbers....it must be a mental or competitive thing.

I like both - playing alone and in a group of friends. This summer I've been playing alone 1 night after work from around 5:30 - 8:00. I walk to get some exercise, and just about get in a whole round. I also have been going to the course Sunday morning and teeing off first at 6:30. I take a cart so I don't hold anyone up, and am done at 8:15. I am home by 8:30. Works perfectly for me - I get in my round of golf and don't miss anything at home with the kids/wife.

I tend to hurry a bit more by myself. No reason why, but I do. I like to play a couple balls and practice shots every now and then, but I find it more enjoyable to play with a good group.

I have no problem playing alone, and usually do so at my "home" course because there are no set tee times on Monday-Thursday. I'm also a pretty fast player, so playing with others can tend to slow me down. I can walk 18 holes in 3 hours easily if I'm playing alone and not hitting the ball all over the place. The only issue with playing alone is that I sometimes have trouble finding my ball if I hit it well offline, but other than that, I don't mind it at all. Late afternoon and early evening rounds on my own are the best.

I play by myself at least 4 times per month and that is my greatest fear, that I will finally get that elusive HIO and will not have a witness.

Absolutely. I came close to one once at this course and I'm in no way a good golfer. I got excited and then got nervous because who was gonna believe me?

I agree about clearing your head too after a long day. This course is perfect for that.

I like playing and practicing alone. It's not that I prefer it, I just enjoy it and comfortable in my own skin.

i love playing golf with...
1 my family
2a my friends
2b really hot chicks
3 co workers
4 alone
5 strangers(unless they fall into the 2b category)

HMMM.... 2b or not 2b. I would take 2b in a second. :D

I prefer golfing by myself, especially when I am working on my swing. Plus, I prefer the the pace. I hit my ball, walk and hit it again, and don't have to worry about waiting for someone else to hit.

Still, it's fun golfing with the buddies...

When I first moved down to Florida, I only knew a hanfdul of people, and worked right next to a Municipal Golf Course. After 5 o'clock, it was $17.00 w/ cart, all you can play. As I play a lot of golf for business purposes, I figured I needed to get better. I would go play at 5pm, and would play 2 or 3 balls, and often times hit from one spot/lie four or five times for extra practice (Driving range pro, course hack syndrome at this time). I figured since all the old folks were at dinner during that time, and no one was on the course, what better time to practice on actual holes then at that time.

I enjoyed the time alone on the course after a day of work, great way to de-stress.

I enjoy playing alone during the week. The course is usually not crowded and I can set a good pace for 18 and maybe swing 36 if I am up to it. Another reason I like playing alone during the week is because that is what I consider my practice time. I like to work on some shots, correct things I may have done wrong, there are just some shots that cannot be practiced on a driving range. However, on the weekends I like playing with a group. On weekends courses are usually pretty booked and playing alone is pretty boring if all you are doing is sitting around waiting for the group ahead of you to clear the greens. Plus its always fun to get some friendly competition amongst the friends and win a few bucks or drinks.

I really enjoy playing alone. I am fortunate enough that when I do get to play alone, it is usually during non-busy times so it is never an issue getting paired up with someone. Like others have mentioned, it is a great opportunity to practice by playing two balls, dropping in bunkers, etc. I deal with people all day long with biz, family, etc and I just can't get excited about playing with total strangers. Alone or with my buddies, that is the only way I really relax and enjoy the game.

I never used to up until a year or so ago, but after college with all my friends starting new jobs it can get kind of impossible to get schedules to align sometimes and I do it out of necessity on occasion. Not a fan of solo golf, but it beats the hell out of no golf.

i love playing golf with...
1 my family
2a my friends
2b really hot chicks
3 co workers
4 alone
5 strangers(unless they fall into the 2b category)

I rarely see 2b on the course...unless you are into middle aged woman...but then again..aint nothing wrong with some cougar action.

I will play alone if needed, much prefer to play with others though.

If I know I am going out on my own then sometime I will take my lad with me so he can walk the course

I get out about once a week for an early morning (6am) 9 by myself. Although I truly enjoy golfing with others (we do the same 6am tee time as a group twice a week as well), there is something unique about the solo experience.
I am certainly able to control my mental game better when alone and my course management decisions tend to be more likely to hit the extremes in that situation (I may play a certain shot ultra-conservatively because it's the only good choice and no 'ego-pressure' when alone to go for it, or I may play a very aggressive approach when it presents itself because there is no downside to making the attempt).

I don't mind playing alone, but wouldn't pay big money to play alone. There is a 9 hole course near one of our offices in Scotland that I regularly play alone when I go up there. Normally play 2 balls from the tee as it's always quiet.

If I had a choice though I would always play with someone else

+1 there could be no one behind me if I happen to be playing alone and yet I feel like I need to rush and hit every shot for some reason.

I tend to hurry a bit more by myself. No reason why, but I do. I like to play a couple balls and practice shots every now and then, but I find it more enjoyable to play with a good group.

havent played alone lately, will porobably end up doing so once this weekend. There is a guy I work with that I told him Im not playing with him anymore, I swear he put a curse on me or something, out of my 4 worst rounds this year out of nearly 40, 3 of them were with him....not sure what it is, but Id rather play solo!

I enjoy any time I can get on the golf course. I guess it just depends on the mood I am in. I am playing tomorrow by myself because I want to get in a quick 9 after work and the people I normally play with aren't very good so it slows down the whole round.

gotta say i'm a fan of playing alone because all the range time is no good if your not putting it into practice on the course. i have played on my own twice in the last 2 weeks i hit my driver and then played 2 balls from my second shot. really enjoyed it to be honest

I think I would really enjoy playing alone. I've had 1 or 2 opportunities to do so but each time I couldn't muster the nerve to go to the course. I don't like getting paired up (by myself) with strangers.

I play alone quite often. I'd probably rather do that than be paired with random people which is what usually happens. The nice thing for me when I play alone is being able to work on my game. If I hit a shot I'm not happy with I just drop another ball and try again. It usually helps me figure a few things out. The only issue I seem to have is playing a bit too fast. I feel like since I'm the only one there I should be racing through the course (sub 2hr round walking before) instead of taking my time.

I enjoy playing with friends, strangers and alone. Went out today alone and enjoyed the time to think through some stuff...Played decent as well.

I love playing with friends or even strangers but treasure the quiet rounds by myself too.

Back